Vera Edge, need a lock and an indoor camera

Hi,

I have a vacation rental, I’m in the process of getting it ready for remote access, I just ordered the Vera Edge controller and now I need a lock that works well with the Vera, the only issue is that I want a lock that doesn’t try to open or close automatically (I think it’s called one with a motor?), I want something like the Schlage deadbolt that allows you to open it once you enter the right code, my door doesn’t have the best alignment so it works really well. I currently have the Schlage Camelot keypad deadbolt, I think it’s not Z-wave if it is it would be a great surprise!

What deadbolt do you recommend that works well with the vera? Apart from the vera controller and the deadbolt what else do I need? Considering the BE369 or maybe something from the Schlage Connect line. Does the Vera come with a software for windows? or is it a web portal? I also need a recomendation for an indoor camera.

Thank you!

Welcome…

If you search around the forum, you’ll find some answers. Kwikset, Schlage and Yale make Z-wave locks that work well with Vera.

Each has different features. I prefer Kwikset because it is motorized (Schlage’s newer models are also now motorized). Here’s why I like Kwikset better: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9042.msg61858.html#msg61858

But it’s not just about buying a Vera Controller and one Z-wave lock. Depending on the size of your house and how far Vera is located from your lock, you will likely need to build a mesh network for the two to communicate. Check out this thread: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,22350.0.html

You can control Vera with a web portal, as well as iOS and Android apps.

Check out the camera section of the forum to review camera options. I use Foscams; they work for my needs, but there are better options.

Auto lock a door after so long is optional feature that needs to be enabled and I think my locks have that feature.

If you are talking about a lock that doesn’t have a motorized deadbolt then you don’t have many options. The reason most people want motorized deadbolts is so you can lock the door from away from the house or you have have it autolock when you leave.

If someone leaves your rental and didn’t lock the deadbolt you would have no way to lock it. I don’t even think it knows if the deadbolt is even extended (locked) or retraced (unlocked). So no way to lock it or know if the door is properly locked. Have you ever got out of your car walked into a store and tried to remember if you locked your car or not? Same thing here.

Unlocking a door I can see there is not a huge advantage to having a motorized bolt.

I used Kwikset 910’s myself (around 7 total) but there are many locks each with pros and cons. I buy them cheap if I were to buy a new one today and wanted to spend 200 I would have alot of options. There is already threads with the info you need to make a decision.

Another piece of advice I would recommend you start with a VERA at your house (where you live most of the time) until you get a good understanding of it and how it works, what to do and not to do when your 100’s of miles away. Trying to learn how to do things, when to do or not to do an update, or troubleshooting from miles away can be difficult or impossible. If it freezes up, looses communication, or anything when your not near it you could be locked out until you pull the plug on it and reboot it.

EDIT: indoor camera… Foscams are CRAP, but they might last for a year. I started with 6 of them, pan tilt, mic, speaker and all for only 100.00ish. I found out alot and wouldn’t touch them with a 10ft pole after the IR’s(night vision) started going out one by one, speaker doesn;t work for crap to make a 2 way communication and the cut off filter is loud.

I have moved onto Hikvision’s now. Maybe same price or a bit more but without the pan and tilt functions. I would go with Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW for indoor. I paid 100.00 on ebay.

Im also interested in some covered bridges. Im staying in the Burlington, VT area and wouldnt mind trying to work on my camera skills. If someone else responds to the above message, any info on N. Vermont bridges???

For renters, I prefer the Kwiket brand because of their “Smartkey” feature which lets you re-key the lock yourself if you feel the lock is compromised.
I also suggest you save your old Kwikset keys to use at a later date.
You can learn more of this feature here.
http://www.007systems.com/kwikset-door-locks-electric.html

I have two Kwikset deadbolts and they’ve performed well for me. There are lots of options out there now that may or may not be better, but I’m quite happy with what I have and they pass the wife acceptance test…