Vera Edge Update failed - now it's bricked

Good old Vera updates – supposed to be easy, but not so much this time. I’ve read the Vera Plus and Vera Lite firmware update failures, now here’s mine.

I performed a firmware update this morning and now my Vera Edge unit is bricked. I’ve power cycled countless times and nothing has resolved the issue. I called Customer Care and was advised to press the reset button with a pin, hold it for 30 seconds, wait 10-15 minutes, and the unit would be factory reset. I’ve tried that about 5 times today with no avail. Right now, the device goes through this cycle: power light flashes slow; power and internet light go solid; internet, z-wave, service light turn on, power light off; repeat cycle.

Cannot access the device at all. It’s stuck in a loop.

Any thoughts?

Vera Support ssh’d into the unit, finally got it to reset, but now it’s not responding. They say it has to be replaced. But for the low cost of $100, I can upgrade to the Vera Plus.

Any thoughts?

What’s the cost to get the current unit replaced with support?
Is there much benefit to upgrade to the vera plus?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

[quote=“alpha1, post:3, topic:193625”]What’s the cost to get the current unit replaced with support?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk[/quote]

They said that the current unit would be replaced at no charge. The benefit of the newer unit it more RAM and the addition of BLE and Zigbee, but I currently do not have any of those devices. The compatibility would be there (at a cost), but between Insteon and Zwave, I think I have my bases covered.

[quote=“Scoutmedic”][quote=“alpha1, post:3, topic:193625”]What’s the cost to get the current unit replaced with support?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk[/quote]

They said that the current unit would be replaced at no charge. The benefit of the newer unit it more RAM and the addition of BLE and Zigbee, but I currently do not have any of those devices. The compatibility would be there (at a cost), but between Insteon and Zwave, I think I have my bases covered.[/quote]
A freebie. Don’t question it. Get it in the post to you before they change their minds :o

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The firmware upgrade bricked my unit and Vera says it needs to be replaced. Since my unit is over a year old they will not replace it. How is it that a firmware update that they push kills some units but they wont own up to it?
They best they would offer is $30 off a new unit… I guess that is better than nothing but terrible support. Out another $70 plus tax to fix what Vera bricked with firmware.

I hear ya! Mine was purchased in July, 2015. They offered the free replacement, then asked for the original sales receipt. I sent everything to them, and they still authorized it.

I’m a little disappointed in the speed of replacement. It’s the 17th and its still not here. Not fun being in a dark house this long…