Vera Edge, Whats Next?

Is there any clear information on what is happening next with Vera edge and plus?

Will vera edge and alexa voice control be supported for a few years to come? I have a few clients i am setting up vera’s for but dont feel comfortable installing them when i am seeing posts about alexa not being maintained and new software being released.

Sorry if this is clearly stated elsewhere but i cant seem to find anything concrete.

For the “clearest” guidance on the fate of Edge and Plus controllers, you’d have to pull from many recent snippets posted on the Forum.

My understanding (based on those disparate sources) is that those platforms will:

• Not likely receive a further firmware update from 7.0.31/UI7
  • Possibly become candidates for UI8 (as ezlo firmware)
  • Continue to be sold by ezlo (until supplies run out)
  • Receive tech support for the near future
  • No longer be actively promoted as the ezlo platforms emerge
  • Find their strongest advocates and userbase in this Forum
  • Not enjoy a direct migration path over to ezlo hardware
  • Suffer from the inferiority of Z-Wave/Zigbee/Bluetooth implementations on all Vera devices
  • Risk performance disruptions (OS restarts, Luup reloads), processing snags (‘got CAN’ errors, NONCE halts, etc.), up to and including premature death (non-load-balanced RAM drive failures), due to suboptimal design

If you’re an existing long-term Vera user, no doubt you are familiar with most of that list. Have you considered the alternative of testing or purchasing ezlo controllers instead of Vera ones for your clients?

Thank you for that very informative reply, i appreciate it,.

The problem i have is that most of the time i use RTI to control Vera, so i require a driver to communicate which ezlo does not have. I also require a controller that can do more than 30 devices. I have installed over a hundred vera edge controllers. Will be a shame to have to go elsewhere.

1 Like

Let us know what you chose and we will follow like lemmings :rofl:

1 Like

I moved on from Vera about a year ago, I only use it as a hub (as many others) for ZWave and do most everything else using Home Assistant. I found the learning curve not too steep. You can use Node Red ,which a method of setting up complicated automation visually, making automation a doddle. I figured I will log in to see what’s happening with Vera one year on. I appreciate forums catch more negative talk than positives, but from what I have seen I have no regrets moving on. I have a Vera Edge and a plus and they seem to run just fine with old firmware. They have no automation, I removed most of the non-zwave equipment (I still use LightwaveRF as I could not be asked to redo it in HA). I tend to not run the bleeding edge firmwares and updates on HA and I’ve had very little issues. That’s my 2pence.

1 Like

Best Home Automation shopping experience. Shop at getvera!

© 2020 Vera Control Ltd., All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Forum Rules