Vera Hubitat Comparison

This is a great non-partisan overview of the Hubitat basics. I’d also add that the tech specs on their website is definitely a bit light on details, but spending 30 mins reading a few review sites can fill in most of what is needed to be known.

I’ve just ordered a Hubitat after agonising between it and Vera. Both seem to have similar pro’s and con’s, but through spending time on both forums and reading elsewhere online, it would seem that the Hubitat has far more powerful out of the box automation rule capability, and less of a learning curve when it comes to adding community based mods. In other words I don’t need to be a software engineer to play around with this thing and should be able to get as much or more than I would with Vera.

Only time will tell :slight_smile:

Your assumption is 100% accurate as I have the $300 top of the line Vera (but no longer use) during that 8 months, I only added 2 devices (on top of the 30-40 I already had from using Smartthings) because most of everything I added, only half of the features would work with Vera, (contact sensors w/temp but Vera only shown the contact status) Or a motion sensor with 3 child devices, the UI puts the child devices completely separated from the parent, and the biggest frustration was almost every device had to paired multiple times just to get it properly included…like I stated I had 30-40 devices yet the last ones added were device # 334 because of how many times I had to delete and try again. Then to the simplicity of automating, PLEG was ridiculous for the non-developer, and Reactor had to have multiple Reactors just to accomplish one automation correctly…The sad part is that an “automation platform” REQUIRES you to add a separately “community” developed “plug in” just to properly provide it’s actual essential function to"automate" what SHOULD have been accomplished by the OEM device to begin with.

I did what you did just over 3 weeks ago, and now I’ve purchased another 30 devices and have 10 more on the way, because of how flawless the system operates, ease of use, and great support, during that time the Hubitat has had zero downtime, 10 firmware updates, My $300 Vera has been completely replaced once, the second one has a problem with the zigbee radio and has been down 10 times with this last one being 48 hours, and only 1 firmware update.

Today I even went a step further, I actually ordered 2 more hubs from Hubitat, as they have the ability to link them together, One works completely fine, and haven’t any issues and would be just fine with most people, but with linking together provides the ability to have a “coordinator hub” that I can have all my automatons (rules) ran on along with all LAN/IP/WIFI/Cloud devices, with both zwave and zigbee radios turned off freeing up the processing power of the hub, and a second/third hub for devices ONLY (my plan is one for zwave only and one for zigbee only) as I will have a balanced mix between the two,

And lastly, it provides the capability that “IF” something did happen and my hub bricks (like my Vera did), I already have a backup not waiting on support to warranty claim and shipping time to get one to me and that I can be back up and running in no time (instead of 2 weeks down when Vera died).

Vera has had 2 acquisitions in the last year, with the second one being a different automation platform (Ezlo) and which Ezlo is at CES announcing “new” controllers, and Vera has had none, nor updates…These acquisitions almost always lead to consolidation. I believe it won’t be long until Ezlo, stops supporting Vera and makes users transition over to Ezlo.

1 Like

It’s been really interesting reading on the forums the issues people are having with Vera , even apparently with devices that are part of standard compatibility feature sets it is supposed to offer. Looking from the outside as someone who has never had a hub, you would never know. So glad I setup a forum account on Vera, ST and Hubitat. Didn’t take more than a few hours to see which was going to be the best choice. Personally I would be happy to use Hass.io but my coding skills are pretty low level and I see automation as something that should not require daily maintenance. I think ST and/or hubitat seem to be the closest to that, with the privacy of true local processing on hubitat making the choice between those two a simple one.

Only thing is that because Hubitat is so new, there is always the risk that they don’t survive. But it’s only a $100, and given the hub truly runs without internet, it would still function anyway. I expect that would even include if the community continued its own mod development in the absence of the company itself. Well worth that risk to support something new and exciting anyway.

Can’t wait for my hub to arrive!!!

Edit: grammar

Your making the correct assumptions, I wish I had done what you did with the forums it would have saved lots of frustrations and $$$. I have had 3 different automation platforms, the exact 3 you mentioned in fact, I started with Smartthings, it was the easiest to setup and learn as a beginner, but with the cloud dependency there was no reliability, and when it’s down you are down, better hope you don’t have august locks with no key/keypad because you’re locked out until it comes back up, and it goes down frequently. Using community driven apps/drivers (from someone with no experience) is almost a non-option there as I never learned how to do it while there.

I moved to Vera because of the “advertised” localized control ability. Upon installation and migrating I discoverer that ALL device and automation additions/removals MUST BE done using a “web portal”, I realized that was false advertising as once you have a system built…yes it is “operated” locally BUT all control over that system still relies on Vera maintaining their servers (not local) for you to be able to access their via web portal. Yes it would still operate if the internet was down, however if (and when) the hardware itself FREQUENTLY goes down/fails, having the internet is really irrelevant. Not to mention the previously stated issues. Vera was by far the hardest of the 3 to adapt to.

Hubitat may be a little bit of a learning curve for you with no previous hub experience, but their forum will literally help you with even the simplest tasks, but I can vouch personally of those 3 you are picking the right one. The “ONLY” risk I would possibly see about them not surviving is by being bought up by some bigger company as they are literally grabbing the competition at the moment. Lowes Iris just shut down at the end of last month, Hubitat made it a point to target that customer base, specifically creating drivers for almost all of the obsolete V1 Iris devices that no company has accomplished integrating into their platform as the technology is outdated, but there are alot of Iris customers who had these, and would have to throw all of them away and buy everything new even though their current worked fine, come the end of March had this not happened. Not only did they target those customers, but it also provided it’s current users a way to get devices CHEAP as Ebay is selling packs of 8-10 for $30-$40 BECAUSE they can’t be used on any other platform with Iris shut down therefore obsolete. They’ve also integrated some of Wink’s proprietary devices, link the Hampton Bay Fan Controller module, Hubitat is currently built for giving their customers what they want and expanding.

Hubitat has zero recurring revenue $100 purchase for the hub ($90 this weekend) and that is IT (unless you’re like me and have purchased 2 more “additional” hubs not even 30 days in, as expansion capabilities and my satisfaction are endless with this platform)

If for some crazy reason that having a “wifi radio” is a deal breaker (why you would trust your home automation to a wireless signal is beyond my understanding, as I had experience with Netgear’s most expensive X10 router both 2.4 & 5ghz radio completely go out, but LAN still worked, which router had to be replaced), there are other avenues for you here Amazon.com

Which will ALWAYS be the case, to assume the premise that all devices will always be listed on any list is completely ridiculous assumption…Your “default” assumption should be that if it’s “NOT” on the list the device is “NOT” compatible, “COULD” it be compatible…SURE, but what is listed is “TESTED” and verified compatible. And as someone else pointed out, if you have the knowledge, the ability is provided for you to write your own apps and drivers to make something compatible.

That is the “purpose” of the forums, users “routinely” post whether they have tested a paticular device that is NOT on “the list” and can easily be found by clicking the search, if nothing is found then go back to the original assumption of it NOT being compatible, and if you decide to be the guinea pig in such testing the liability falls on you alone, otherwise wait for someone else to do it.

You might look up the definition of proprietary, as also it’s purpose is to prevent outside (open source) access, if someone creates a workaround, it is only as good as the company who owns it allows/does not allow access to it.

I would suggest you also consider HomeSeer. The cost is higher but they have more powerful equipment, a full suite of cloud and mobile software, a deeper reserve of upgrades, and have been around for @20 years, which puts them in a tier of their own.

They also make some custom hardware for extra large properties, letting you put zwave radios anywhere you can get an ethernet cable.

I did look at Homeseer pretty hard before finding Hubitat, but like you mentioned the full suite of (each per purchase) software, and the controllers aren’t on the cheap end (for the good ones) you’re starting to get into the neighbor of costing close to the control4’s and savants pricing out there…Which I’m sure all 3 work great (they better for the price anyway), but Home Automation for me is more of a hobby, not necessarily an essential that justifies that higher cost.

The zee is a surprisingly capable device. None of the other controllers have half the computing power. (Although ISY arguably doesn’t need it because of their custom realtime OS). Plus you can install other software on it, as you have root access passwords to the homeseer hardware. Being a Pi3 or x86 system, it isn’t disposable like most other controllers.

And the plug in cost is I think over emphasized for most people. Most people only need maybe 1 paid plugins because the core system does so much. No need for pleg/reactor/altui/virtual switches/timers/webcore/robots/etc.

Now, if you are trying to make several different proprietary technologies play nicely, yeah it adds up. But then, if you have 6 different technologies, you probably have $600-$1000 in devices.

Why cheap out on the controller that holds it all together? It’s like buying a rolls Royce limo and hiring a 16yro driver because you can pay minimum wage.

I have 4 sites running Vera Edge/Plus. Rebooting frequently, limited automations, and lack of updates and device support forced me to look around. OpenHAB, Hubitat, etc.

I ended up with Home Assistant a few months ago. First, it allows me to hook up Vera, thus moving stuff off Vera incrementally. Home Assistant have been rock solid for me, very powerful, fast, multiple UI options, browser UI (no clients to update). I like it a lot. The speed of development, device support, hosting options and quality is impressive.

That said, it does take time and a techie to get it going.

Hubitat presents a lot of advantages but its biggest downside for me is how closed it has been and how it is designed to be the master and the only one with little access to deeper level configurations: No ability to set a user zwave security key and no user root access (though for the latter, it is arguably unnecessary)

For the vera, its biggest problem is the bugginess and abuse of luup reload as a workaround to a lot of bugs and configuration, its poor command queuing/priority capability which is the source of a lot of device issues and response lag, and I am sounding like a broken record but the onboard NAND flash partitioning making it very fragile.

For home assistant, the downside is the device level handling/interface/automation could be better, more user friendly.

Each has its pros and cons… That’s why I use all three…

I’m not sure what you mean with this as you have the total complete control to write any app/drivers you can think of…the deeper level configurations go as deep as your imagination can write code?

A lot is missing from the zwave zigbee menus: No controller shift, No selection of the serial ports for each radio, No ability to set security mode and keys, Can’t see the zwave house id. No primary/secondary/SUC/SIS control. Zigbee seems to be a little better supported but unfortunately is useless ways since Zigbee’s radios can’t be migrated/transferred and do not accept multiple controllers.

Hubitat doesn’t require exrooting the entire software off of the hardware just to make it stable though…

True until it’s not. My hubitat is crashing out daily right now with just 10 zigbee devices. I thing it may be contributed by my ubnt network though. My friend who has his entire system on it also complains about occasional stability issues. I don’t think it is nearly as bad as the vera, nor did I mean to extroot the hubitat, it has plenty of storage. What I meant was to obtain root access to troubleshoot the device at the OS level. In this respect hubitat is a very closed platform. I have no bias. I actually like both and they have their pros and cons. I am just stating facts so people can make informed decisions.

So I switched over to Hubitat. Don’t hate. I had a Vera 3, and as much as the Vera has been good to me, it was time for me to move on to a newer device. I don’t want this to be a “I hate Vera” post. Quite the contrary, I liked my Veras very much. They did a lot for me over the years and the last 4 years or so has been smooth sailing (mostly). I just want this to be an informative post for those who might be thinking of switching over, or for those who might be wanting upgrade like me. I’ve only had this for a few months, but having got my wings on Vera, Hubitat has been pretty straight forward. I’m not going to go into the technical details of these things, but hopefully my words will make you feel better about whatever decision you decide to make. We can always change our minds in the end.

I started with a Veralite in 2013. Then, a year later decided I needed more horsepower, so I got a Vera 3. I’ve had my V3 since 2014 or so, and the last 3-4 years its been smooth sailing. I have about 100 physical devices of all types, at least the types Vera could handle. I invested in Cooper hardware for lighting (which was a bit pricey at the time) but they’ve been great - plus all the other things Cooper didn’t make. I used HomeWave on my iDevices and had nice pretty screen to control and see it all. I also have about 16 cameras on the system to see what’s going on. I use other software for the grunt of the camera work, but it was nice to see it integrate into Vera and HomeWave, even if functionality was a bit limited.

I’m more in the ’control’ camp than the automate camp. Yes I have lots of automated things, but I used my control day to day. I don’t want my lights coming on automatically when I enter a room. Sometimes I want it dark.

But alas it was time to move on. Its been 6 years since I started, and so much has changed. I wanted voice command of some kind, a bit faster response, and of course my V3 wasn’t able to take advantage of the other standards like the newer Veras do, so less choice in devices to expand. I couldn’t stomach the cost of a Vera Secure, especially since a Hubitat was $99 (was $89 this past weekend) and seems to do a lot of what I wanted. Vera UI7 hasn’t had a good reputation. The question was, is HE as good as all the hype? Everyone wants something difference from their home “automation”. So its difficult to say what’s good for one person is good for another. Here’s my take:

Vera is a bit more technical. You can get into the details of your devices and Veras interface takes advantage of that. It seems to be set up from more of an engineers point of view. In that regard I finding it more customizable, even with the devices I already have. The learning curve was a bit steep, but Hubitat (or HE) doesn’t quite go as far as the Advanced device pages, so you can’t get in there and do all the same device customizations. It has a similar device page, but not nearly as many supported items per device. Direct associations also aren’t included. Although that seems to be a change in the z-wave standard, its not backwards compatible. I’ve had to use a separate controller for that. Not a deal breaker for me, but for many its not even an option. They also say they’ll never include that feature. It’s the past as they say. I’ve used rules to make up for that to some extent, but direct associations for me are almost immediate. Theres a bit more delay using the logic rules for the same purpose.

On the plus side for HE, it is simpler, and does a lot of what the average person wants to do out of the box. It does maybe 80% of what I want it to do, but again, not being able to get into all the device customizations for things I already have is a bit of a downer. I’ll live, but for me Vera was better in that regard. HE’s logic app is laid out a bit better, so its easier to use. I see that Reactor is set up similarly, so maybe its not that much of an advantage, but again it wasn’t included with Vera out of the box. And just like PLEG has disappeared? Maybe Reactor will in the future. I’m not disrespecting the creators for that, it was just a consideration of mine.

Device drivers are still a bit lacking for HE. Although there is a lot of functionality out of the box, for a power user like me it still has a lot to be desired. So far HE for me is like Vera used to be back in year 2014 or 2015, in terms of overall development and just getting things to work in the way that I want. Some of my devices had to be replaced because they aren’t supported. They wouldn’t even show up in pairing. In Vera I changed some of my device wake up times to increase battery life as half of my devices use batteries. I can’t even do that with HE, although on supported devices I can see the settings still held. I just can’t change them. So unless I re-pair it to the Vera I wouldn’t be able to change it.

HE doesn’t do cameras, at all. Vera wasn’t the best thing out there for camera, but at least I could see them and pan them around. I can’t even include them in HE. What?? Yeah. So I’ll have to use a separate app completely for the cameras. It also means I can’t use the cameras motion sensors. Oh well.

Vera has a nicer interface. Although HE gets the job done, its rather plain and mostly text based. I’m guessing its less overhead for the box, but it hasn’t translated to any perceived benefit. The graphical interface of Vera seemed more pleasing to use.

Speedwise they’re about the same, both in interacting with the interface, and device response speed. Actually right now my HE is quite a bit slower than Vera. Now, I know lots of people have lag in their Vera, but I had mine worked out pretty well, so even with all of my devices everything worked quickly. My motion sensors were almost immediate. HE’s cloud setup for phone use is even slower than Vera’s phone apps. HomeWave was faster. Maybe my mesh needs time to work itself out more, but I can’t tell because all of those ‘advanced’ options of controlling the z-wave mesh aren’t there. I can’t even see when things are polling, or when retries happen. Well I can, but I have to go to the logs. Vera had other places to see when things were working or not working. For trouble shooting Vera was easier.

PLEG has been great for me on my V3 and all the logic items I’ve had to use. Unfortunately it was not part of Vera out of the box, and should have been. But again, for the average person it was probably too technical, at least in layout. Fortunately that made PLEG super customizable. Since HE uses drop down boxes for rules, you’re limited to what rules they put in those drop downs and how you build the logic. They’re pretty complete, but I’ve had to get around some things by changing my logic. It seems like I have to get a bit more creative with HE to do the some of the more complex stuff.

HE has no app, yet. You basically create a mini web interface with buttons and it loads in your web browser, no matter what device you’re on. I guess that makes it universal, but it also seems slower. Just imagine controlling anything in real time in the real world from your browser. It works, but it’s about what you imagine. If you have multiple pages like I do, it take time to load the new page. Just like a website. Supposedly they’ll have an app next month. We’ll see how it works out. Third party apps are rather lacking at the moment. One that seems to do what I want including cameras requires a subscription. I’ll wait.

There’s more, but I won’t bore you. If you got this far, well congratulations! You win, nothing. But I think you get the idea. So am I happy I switched? Ehhh well I’m not unhappy. But I don’t regret it either. I needed to upgrade. I wanted to add more devices. I used all the features with Vera I could, and HE is about the same. It doesn’t do any more, but maybe for some HE is easier. Its also less flexible and detailed for a user like me. For $99 it was about right. From where I sit now, I can see myself coming back to Vera in a year or two if they get their act together, even at their higher price tag. Support for HE is like Vera used to be way back. Vera really needs to put more resources into support of something like home automation. It’s not easy, even on HE. But at the moment HE has better support, so maybe its okay.

5 Likes

When Lowes Iris alarm out that they were shutting down, I ended up getting a hubitat elevation as well as Vera secure. I currently have the majority of my home automation on hubitat and only just started using Vera from a security standpoint. I’m using 2gig thin contact sensors that I was able to obtain from my low voltage retailer for $13 a piece. I’ve got the majority of them all paired up and things went very, very well. Now I need to try to learn how to get the security part all set up. It’s been posted on some other websites that the people who had Lowe’s Iris were spoon-fed for an easy to operate system. Both of the new systems do take a bit of learning and are not exactly plug-and-play.

I will have some questions and I hope the community is pretty responsive here. I will have to say that the hubitat community is extremely responsive in a timely manner.

I think you’ll find this an active community with a lot of people eager to answer your questions and bring you up to speed quickly. There are also many Vera staff, particularly @Sorin, who regularly follow the discussions and chime in.

3 Likes

I think it depends on what you’re starting with as well. If you’re starting from scratch and able to buy only items on either hubs compatibility list, that helps a lot for either side. On the flip side, I have a lot of stuff I bought over the 6 years I’ve been on Vera, so I know it works there.

Switching over to Hubitat has been a pain. Most of my devices there are using their ‘generic’ drivers, which give you basic functionality, but because the driver isn’t specific to that device, it doesn’t allow for any customized settings like a dedicated driver would. Some of my devices aren’t even usable on it, but luckily its only a few. But still unfortunately the majority are using generic drivers.

Currently some of my devices stopped working because I ran a z-wave heal function. I know from Vera way back that its a bad idea if you have a lot of battery powered devices (which I do), but I did it anyway thinking Hubitat is magically better somehow. Nope! Same issues, and after going through their forums I’m finding discussions that we had on Vera, and fixed when I had a Veralite say in 2013? Hubitat is just recently discovering and fixing some of those issues. I have way too many devices to start over, but I might have to just to fix my mesh problem… Vera has a lot of history, and with that history comes experience. Even if you can’t get something working, there are resources to fix it. But it is a pain, regardless of which platform you have.

So I would say, if you’re starting from scratch and can buy things only on their current list (which is a bit lacking in variety), and also don’t need complicated setups, or want better integration with Google, Alexa, Lutron, and some of that other value added stuff, Hubitat might be better. If you already have a lot of not as new stuff, or need more complex conditional setups, Vera might still be better. Vera still has more ‘choice’ for me. Hubitat hasn’t been that magic pill, at least in my experience so far.

If you already have a good setup on Vera, and just want some newer stuff to work as I mentioned, I’d still wait a bit before moving over to Hubitat. My guess is up to a year, seeing as where they are now. Unfortunately for me it isn’t so easy to just switch back, so I’m gonna trudge through it for now. But we’ll see…

1 Like

Have you actually hit the “configure” button and “refresh” under the device’s page? ALL of my devices I migrated from Vera worked on Hubitat, and even those with Generic drivers had full functionality with them. On Vera “if” I could get the Iris V2 contact sensor to actually pair, it only (occasionally) shown the contact status but did NOT show the temperature, nor did it update any battery status it was either 100% or 10% with a brand new battery…on Hubitat I have contact status, temperature, and battery status. On Vera my Zooz 4-n-1 motion sensors shown up as 4 separate devices that you had to scroll the entire UI to find each one, under Hubitat it shows up as a motion sensor with 3 child devices under the same page (as it should be)

If you look in the Hubitat forums there is a process on How to build a zwave mesh shown here https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Z-Wave_Mesh......because you didn’t follow this isn’t a “Hubitat” problem…Zwave “repairs” (not heals) cannot in anyway “hurt” your mesh

With history, comes complacency as to why you venture to other platforms.

Hi Lakehouse79,

Thanks for your suggestions!

I did hit the configure button, but unfortunately my devices don’t have dedicated drivers. Some of them don’t even have a configure button at all, just refresh. They aren’t new so I don’t imagine Hubitat would have drivers for them, at least yet. Most of what they have seems to be of the newer variety which is expected, but I don’t plan to go through my whole house and replace every switch again! haha

I do have some devices that have drivers, and its like what you said. There are lots of settings, but none have all the setting Vera lets you do. But again I only have a few devices that have dedicated drivers anyway, so its not a good sampling.

Thanks for the link. Yep I’m familiar with this and z-wave mesh as its not anything new. On Vera I actually just direct linked devices manually to the hub I didn’t mesh most things that got a signal. That cuts down on latency and routing problems and all those other z-wave issues. Thats why almost all of my devices save one or two were immediate response. Some did go through the network also, but just like when I had everything mesh, over time their latency varied as the hub decided to reroute things. Unfortunately Hubitat doesn’t give you the option to direct link. But you are correct in that I am waiting some time for the mesh to settle down.

More than half of my hundred or so devices are battery powered, which also presents heal and routing problems. Also, the sheer number of devices makes running a heal almost impossible overnight. It just takes too long. But honestly I’ve never run into any hub that could deal with that properly. At least Vera let me cancel all heals and in combination with direct link, I could go a years with no issues or restarts. That’s a feat for any z-wave network.

I was just relating my experience as I am solving problems. I want others to have an accurate and fair view of problems they may run into. I never claimed Vera was perfect, or even better. Obviously owning one comes with its pitfalls, but every hub I’ve seen does as well, hence the need for these forums.

I agree with your last statement, or maybe just lack of funding. Who knows. In the end the experience ends up being less than stellar. I’m working through my issues on HE, and I know that even if I go back to Vera, I’ll be starting over and doing the same thing. Its just the z-wave experience right now. If they would just take software that could iron out all these problems!

For $99 it was worth a shot!

PS: I disagree…heals can absolutely hurt your mesh. It depends on how the hub is instructed to do them. I saw that Hubitat had a problem before I purchased one where it was including battery powered devices in the heal, messing up the network. Supposedly that was fixed, but I did a heal the other day on a perfectly operating although not efficient network. Many of my devices became totally unresponsive and others super slow or half responsive. I ended up re-including them again. It was a pain for the locks! Theoretically heals should work if done properly with good code.