Vera Plus as ZigBee Radio

Hello,

After doing some research, I bought a Vera Plus planning to use it with Home Assistant simply as ZigBee/Zwave radio (all automation done by HA). However, it looks like it’s not easy to dumb it down to use its hardware resources just for responsiveness. What is the best way to disable pretty much everything?

Btw, I thought it could run without internet access but it looks like it won’t. Am I wrong?

Cheers
Chris

No it is definitely not the best option to pursue for a radio. Disabling things is quite difficult and taking it offline altogether is not possible currently. I have quite a long thread sharing my attempts to do so on this forum. Bottom line is, I am actually looking at using a HUSBZB on Homeassistant as an alternative to the vera.

I build a plugin for HomeSeer that uses a VeraPlus for a Zigbee controller. The Plugin doesn’t care about “Vera” it interfaces directly with Mios/Luup bypassing all of the GUI. So far It has been very stable for me but it does have problems with LARGE numbers of devices trying to import them into HomeSeer. However why would you leave anything bug Zigbee in Vera anyways?

For Home Assistant there’s been a lot of movement with deconz and I have that running with HomeSeer as well and it is very stable for the xiaomi sensors and philips motion sensor and bulbs. I also have some Osram (Sylvania) bulbs connected to it and they work well also.

All in all if the Zigbee device is supported by deconz I use that, if not I check if Vera supports it. If not then I find a z-wave alternative or Wifi if I really have to.

I read this thread where the author managed to use Vera’s Z-Wave radio and turn off the rest. It would be great to do the same with ZigBee and Bluetooth too.

I thought the Vera was the most effective way of getting a Z-Wave and ZigBee antenna on my network (my server rack is deep in the basement and I would have needed an external device anyway). It probably still is, but I’m taken aback by the system’s poor performance.