Vera plus network & wifi problems (SSID, PPPoE, 802.11ac, WAN port, ...)

Hi All and Vera support team,
I purchased and successfully configured VeraPlus in my network, but I found the below NETWORK & Wifi problems.
I have the latest firmware 1.7.3831 and after extensive testing and reading on blog and groups I’m contacting you as last hope before returning the device, hoping in a firmware update/fix/solution … Etc.

how to rename SSID name?
I tried, but it doesn’t apply the change.

Where can i set MAC Filters(allow or block specific mac addresses)?

if I connect via WiFi to VeraPlus 2.4Ghz, it is connecting with 802.11n protocol and not 802.11ac, why?(obviously my PC support 802.11ac, at work i use that protocol)
where can i change it to be “802.11ac only”?

When i change the password of the VeraPlus Wifi, It changes the password only of the 2.4 Ghz but not the 5Ghz, the 5Ghz wifi password remains always the default one! where can i change the default password? Where do i set the password of the 5ghz wifi?

Can VeraPlus completely reply my router and interact directly with the network provider? in short, i tried setting my username and password of my Internet provider(PPPoE) but no matter if “Connected on Demand” or “Keep Alive” the VeraPlus device wasn’t able to connect.
In short, can the only ethernet port be a WAN port? If so, how? To me it doesn’t work, I tried everything.

Firewall
i tried to change from “Firewall disabled (allow any connections from WAN or LAN ports)” to “Firewall active (only allow connections from LAN ports)” but even if i change it and “save and apply” when i check again the settings, it is back to “Firewall disabled”

if i set WiFi to “no”, the 3rd led on the VeraPlus device correctly goes OFF, but as soon as i start adding a device even if it is a pure “Z-wave device” (no wifi involved) after a bit it will automatically light up again, even if the settings are still WiFI to “no” and the only way to turn the 3rd led OFF again is to select “yes” then “no” and “save and apply”
Same it happens if i reboot the device (from Reboot button in Net&WiFi), the 3rd wifi led comes back ON even if WIFI is set to “NO”

if any of they above points are not yet implemented, could you let us know if/when is planned to have them implemented according your roadmap?
Fyi, I have already contacted the support but no answer for now.

Thank you,
Ciao!

Copying an pasting from the support answer in “quotes and bold italic”:

For issue number 1: how to change SSID name
"
[i][b]In order to change the 2.4 and 5 Ghz SSIDs you can go to Apps → Develop Apps → TEst Luup code and run the following code:

os.execute(“uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid=24GSSID && uci commit”)
os.execute(“uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[1].ssid=5GSSID && uci commit”)
os.execute(“/etc/init.d/network restart”)

In the code above replace 24GSSID with the desired SSID for 2.4 Ghz and 5GSSID with the desired SSID for 5 Ghz.
After running the code wait for 30 seconds or so for the changes to be saved.
In regards to issue number 7, it seems to be an issue with the wifi led only.

[/b][/i]"
I tried, it worked for me

For issue number 2: Where can i set MAC Filters(allow or block specific mac addresses)?

“There are no plans of implementing MAC filtering for now…
VeraPlus is mainly a z-wave controller which can also be a zigbee controller and wifi access point, but not a router. Also for 6 make sure that the router?s firewall (in which Vera is connected) is enabled and for 2 you can setup MAC filtering directly on the router also.”

To me a bit of a security concern, MAC filtering/blocking is a good 2 layer of protection, considering that on internet you can find:
Ways to Hack Wifi Password [WEP,WPA,WPA2,WPS] AUTENTICATION…
so, i won’t ever add any security smart device like: DOOR LOCK, WEBCAM, ALARMS, …etc…

3. For issue number 3: WIFI protocol and SSID (802.11n protocol and not 802.11ac)

[i][b]“Wifi on both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz are hardcoded to 802.11n and 802.11ac and can?t be changed”

in other words:
your 2 Ghz SSID will work max and only with 802.11n (it cannot support 802.11ac)
your 5 Ghz SSID will only and always be 802.11ac (device that do not support 802.11ac won’t be able to connect to it, this SSID cannot support 802.11n)

[/b][/i]

4. For issue number 4: change the SSID password.

When change the password of the VeraPlus Wifi, It changes the password only of the 2.4 Ghz but not the 5Ghz, the 5Ghz wifi password remains always the default one! where can i change the default password? Where do i set the password of the 5ghz wifi?

[i][b]"You can change the 5Ghz SSID password by going to Apps → Develop Apps → TEst Luup code and running the code below :

os.execute(“uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[1].key=5Gpassword && uci commit”)
os.execute(“/etc/init.d/network restart”)

In the code above replace 5Gpassword with the desired 5GHZ SSID password.
After running the code wait for 30 seconds or so for the changes to be saved.
This might be added in the future.

[/b][/i]

5. for issue number 5: can VeraPlus replace your router: NO!

Can VeraPlus completely reply my router and interact directly with the network provider? in short, i tried setting my username and password of my Internet provider(PPPoE) but no matter if “Connected on Demand” or “Keep Alive” the VeraPlus device wasn’t able to connect.
In short, can the only ethernet port be a WAN port? If so, how? To me it doesn’t work, I tried everything.

[i][b]“VeraPlus is mainly a z-wave controller which can also be a zigbee controller and wifi access point, but not a router.
At the moment VeraPlus can?t be used as a router but this might be changed in the future but I don?t have an ETA.
So you cannot use the cable that comes from the ISP and make VeraPlus behave as a router.(You cannot use PPPoE and the ethernet port at the back can?t be used as a WAN port). You could only do it if Vera is connected in wifi client (Vera connected wirelessly) mode but this implies already using a router.”

[/b][/i]

6. For issue number 6: Firewall changes NOT applied.

i tried to change from “Firewall disabled (allow any connections from WAN or LAN ports)” to “Firewall active (only allow connections from LAN ports)” but even if i change it and “save and apply” when i check again the settings, it is back to "Firewall disabled
sure for now i am using Router’s Firewall, but am i correct that you are working to check/fix this issue in UI7 in a future?

"“It should be solved in a future UI7 build.”

7. For issue number 7: WIFI “led” even if set to “NO”

if i set WiFi to “no”, and i reboot the device (from Reboot button in Net&WiFi), the 3rd wifi led comes back ON even if WIFI is set to “NO”
good to know that is just a “LED” issue but just for information, am i correct that you are working to check/fix this issue in UI7 in a future?

“It should be solved in a future UI7 build.”

Thank you for addressing these issues.

Curiously, I have 2 Veraedges on my network. One I can set to firewall on, and the other I can’t. Both on same firmware.

Hi VERA…

AFTER 6 MONTHS… Could we have an update/roadmap on the issues??

1. For issue number 1:
    how to change SSID name → no fix, still with the above horrible workaround… currently not working due another bug…

2. For issue number 2:
    Where can i set MAC Filters(allow or block specific mac addresses)?

i guess… still quoting the support “… no plans of implementing MAC filtering for now…”

1. For issue number 3:
    WIFI protocol and SSID (802.11n protocol and not 802.11ac)

i guess … still quoting the support " …Wifi on both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz are hardcoded to 802.11n and 802.11ac and can?t be changed"

in other words:
your 2 Ghz SSID will work max and only with 802.11n (it cannot support 802.11ac)
your 5 Ghz SSID will only and always be 802.11ac (device that do not support 802.11ac won’t be able to connect to it, this SSID cannot support 802.11n)

1. For issue number 4: change the SSID password.

no fix, still with the above horrible workaround… currently not working due another bug…

1. For issue number 5: can VeraPlus replace your router:

In short… “NO!” (read above)

sorry… around for a ~300$ device I was expecting more …

1. For issue number 6: Firewall changes NOT applied.

no fix yet… no comment

1. For issue number 7: WIFI “led” goes back ON even if Wifi has been set to “NO/OFF” in the UI7

this one is just a LED issue… but come on…

I am really sorry to have done this 6 months check… because after 6 MONTHS… your support didn’t even fix 1 led bug… i am sure there have been other priorities… but sincerely and honestly disappointed… happy i can eventually change my hub easily…

Regards,
Flavio.