Vera Proximity New Android Applications

For me it would be primarily as a replacement for autolocation, i would love your app to be able to cause tasker to run some commands as you exit/enter a perimeter fence(s). I am using tasker via authomation to send commands back to Vera which works fine most of the time. The problem lately is more Vera reporting back via Vera Alerts (messages not being sent or just stuck for 15 or 20 minutes). If there would be another way for tasker to know what state a for example virtual switch in Vera is, that would be extremely useful. Not sure if that is achievable or realistic though

The problem lately is more Vera reporting back via Vera Alerts (messages not being sent or just stuck for 15 or 20 minutes). If there would be another way for tasker to know what state a for example virtual switch in Vera is, that would be extremely useful. Not sure if that is achievable or realistic though
Are you indicating that Vera Alerts does not report your messages for 15 to 20 minutes ? Or that there is a problem getting the status back ? or what ?

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:22, topic:180988”]

The problem lately is more Vera reporting back via Vera Alerts (messages not being sent or just stuck for 15 or 20 minutes). If there would be another way for tasker to know what state a for example virtual switch in Vera is, that would be extremely useful. Not sure if that is achievable or realistic though

Are you indicating that Vera Alerts does not report your messages for 15 to 20 minutes ? Or that there is a problem getting the status back ? or what ?[/quote]

Richard I’ve noticed some delays in Vera Alerts of late, never 15-20 minutes but sometimes several minutes. I have Arm/Disarm alerts sent by both VeraAlerts and SMS and I USUALLY get the SMS alert almost instantly and on occasion the VeraAlert for the same event is several minutes later.

Take that up here.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,24084.0.html

@clippermiami
Since about a week i noticed that i did not get my normal status report on Vera Alerts. I have set up a notification for when i leave the house or come back home. When this message arrives on Vera Alerts its stops my tasker sending a command to Vera that i am home or away. Lately walking home i noticed my phone keeps buzzing, as it keeps sending the message. But when i check when i arrive home it has changed the virtual switch, i just did not get a notification. The weird thing is it works most of the time. So its not a setup problem (and it has worked without faults for weeks before). Then i tried at home sending manual messages via Vera Alerts. Nothing come through, until about 15 or 20 minutes later i had about 20 notifications at one. So it looks sometimes they get delayed, occasionally completely lost.
Normally i have my notifications instantly. Only since about a week ago that i noticed these delays/problems

[quote=“mikee123, post:25, topic:180988”]@clippermiami
Since about a week i noticed that i did not get my normal status report on Vera Alerts. I have set up a notification for when i leave the house or come back home. When this message arrives on Vera Alerts its stops my tasker sending a command to Vera that i am home or away. Lately walking home i noticed my phone keeps buzzing, as it keeps sending the message. But when i check when i arrive home it has changed the virtual switch, i just did not get a notification. The weird thing is it works most of the time. So its not a setup problem (and it has worked without faults for weeks before). Then i tried at home sending manual messages via Vera Alerts. Nothing come through, until about 15 or 20 minutes later i had about 20 notifications at one. So it looks sometimes they get delayed, occasionally completely lost.
Normally i have my notifications instantly. Only since about a week ago that i noticed these delays/problems[/quote]

Now that I think about it is seems to me that this has been going on for a week or so also. The problem is that I don’t have a long data base to work from, I only finished setting up my alert processes about three weeks ago anyway. Prior to the licensing change I was using Vera Alerts but [rimarily to send SMS not so much the internal alert mechanism. Since licensing and reconfiguring I’m now using the internal alerting more, generally in conjunction with SMS, SysLog and SMTP depending on the nature of the notifications.

[quote=“clippermiami, post:2, topic:180988”]Richard, great to hear.

I’ve downloaded it and tried it but I get a STOP immediately on trying to open it. The background task is apparently running, the icon is in the notification bar. But if I try to open the app itself to configure it, it says it has stopped. The background icon goes away and reappears almost immediately but the app still does not open.

I installed it on an HTC One X+ running Android 4.1.1. Reported to you through Google Play also along with system data

FYI, l also installed it on my Nexus 7 tablet and it mostly works. I say mostly because it does open and allow configuration but occasionally does crash.[/quote]

Further to this trouble report, I also loaded it on an HTC One VX running Android 4.0.4 and it again failed immediately.

To recap:
Nexus 7 Tablet, Android 4.4.2 - running fine
HTC One X+ Phone, Android 4.1.1 - crashes immediately
HTC One VX Phone, Android 4.0.4 - crashes immediately
Lenovo A1000 Tablet , Android 4.1.2 - crashes immediately

I checked the Log files and the Vera Alert Post Office. It runs on a Google Server. So it should have high reliability and good connectivity. It has an average response (receiving from Vera Plugin and actually sending to the Google Cloud, of about 150 mSec. The rest of the journey is all part of the Google infrastructure.

I sometimes see my Google Related Services lock up … resetting the network frees things up and I get a bunch of notifications from various Google services all at one time. So I think there is some instability in the Google delivery process.

@clippermiami
I have not seen any crash reports yet.

[quote=“clippermiami, post:27, topic:180988”][quote=“clippermiami, post:2, topic:180988”]Richard, great to hear.

I’ve downloaded it and tried it but I get a STOP immediately on trying to open it. The background task is apparently running, the icon is in the notification bar. But if I try to open the app itself to configure it, it says it has stopped. The background icon goes away and reappears almost immediately but the app still does not open.

I installed it on an HTC One X+ running Android 4.1.1. Reported to you through Google Play also along with system data

FYI, l also installed it on my Nexus 7 tablet and it mostly works. I say mostly because it does open and allow configuration but occasionally does crash.[/quote]

Further to this trouble report, I also loaded it on an HTC One VX running Android 4.0.4 and it again failed immediately.

To recap:
Nexus 7 Tablet, Android 4.4.2 - running fine
HTC One X+ Phone, Android 4.1.1 - crashes immediately
HTC One VX Phone, Android 4.0.4 - crashes immediately
Lenovo A1000 Tablet , Android 4.1.2 - crashes immediately[/quote]

Based on what I’m seeing there, could it be that the hooks @RichardTSchaefer is using to get the location data (or really anything in the Android API) is in a version of android greater than 4.1.2? I have not had an issue on my MotoX, but it’s running 4.4.x.

Thats why I need to see a crash report … the IDE is usually pretty good about flagging these potential problems.

I’ve sent it again this time from the HTC One VX (Android 4.0.4) [I’ve already uninstalled it from the Android 4.1.1 device but I’ll be happy to reinstall]

Also want to know how this app responds to no data connection, but I think that’s all in the setting on how often it reports. Maybe a better understanding from Richard would be goo tho. I also see there is some instant report settings under the fence too.[/quote]
[/quote]

Richard after I cross the geofence how many retries or so does this app attempt to send the command? And currently it never checks back in with vera to make sure that virtual switch is correct?

@clippermiami
I received the crash report today … I think there is a 1 day delay in delivering them.

I use a feature that has a difference in behavior between 4.4 and earlier. The docs do not indicate a problem, but the Android forums recommended a strategy that works.
I can’t test in the simulator because my app uses features that do not run in the simulator. My phone and tablet are already upgraded to 4.4.x

Version 1.2 should fix the problem … fingers crossed.

@integlikewhoa
It tries twice to send (4 times if you are on Wifi; twice using LAN Address and twice using Remote Access) the command.
But I noticed I did not check to see if it actually went and report an error in that case. That will be in the next version (1.3).
There should be an error in the log file, but that does not help the user.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:33, topic:180988”]@clippermiami
I received the crash report today … I think there is a 1 day delay in delivering them.

I use a feature that has a difference in behavior between 4.4 and earlier. The docs do not indicate a problem, but the Android forums recommended a strategy that works.
I can’t test in the simulator because my app uses features that do not run in the simulator. My phone and tablet are already upgraded to 4.4.x

Version 1.2 should fix the problem … fingers crossed.

@integlikewhoa
It tries twice to send (4 times if you are on Wifi; twice using LAN Address and twice using Remote Access) the command.
But I noticed I did not check to see if it actually went and report an error in that case. That will be in the next version (1.3).
There should be an error in the log file, but that does not help the user.[/quote]

@Richard, I will be happy to test and report back. Is the update on the Play Store already?

@Richard

I have been playing more with the app, and opened my Google Play services. In Location which I have on it says Location Reporting not available in China. Also same for Location History.

Is this the root of my problem?

@Richard, FYI, I re-installed on my HTC One X+ and it does not crash immediately on startup now. However there are two points in the setup/configuration where it did and i have sent Crash Reports for those incidents.

I borrowed an old Samsung S2 on 4.0.4 and I am to run. So I will wait to see your crash reports.

I wanted to give a quick update. I’m running this on my MotoX running 4.4.x since it was released.

I set my “home” fence to .03 miles (I think it’s miles). This is just around my lot and barely crosses across the street (.02 was just too small). I set a larger fence to .5 miles and told it to do rapid update for 2 minutes.

So far when leaving I can about 1 street over in any direction before it says “Exiting home” (my message for when I leave my “Home” fence). I expect this delay as the polling frequency is likely low. However, upon arriving, WITHOUT fail, it tells me as soon as I enter the fence. I’m sure this is some sort of coincidence since rapid update should be once every 60 seconds, but it has been dead on accurate for me. Same spot, every single time (as soon as I park).

Now, I was on a business call earlier and I walked outside and was walking up and down the drive and when I got off the phone I got a bunch of “arriving home” and “exiting home” tts messages. It ultimately settled on “arriving home”, so it wasn’t an issue. I don’t know how much time was between each one, but I do plan on using PLEG to make sure I was gone for so long before doing most of my actions.

I do not have it doing anything in vera yet except set a multiswitch button (I have a radio set of 2 that are “Frank Home” and “Frank Away”). I will start with doing more stuff via PLEG maybe next week, but so far, this app is doing exactly what I want.

Either way and no matter what, Thanks @RichardTSchaefer for this awesome app!

The voice messages and notification tones will be delayed if you are on the phone.
The Vera Commands will be sent right away.I may have to tweak the inter message setting … this is adjustable in Vera Alerts … I did not bring out the parameter in Vera Proximity.

There is a standard “rapid” update for all network transistions (wifi to GSM, GSM to wifi), and for Fence entry/exit for 2 minutes.
I am changing the location sampling interval to 30 seconds for this period.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:39, topic:180988”]The voice messages and notification tones will be delayed if you are on the phone.
The Vera Commands will be sent right away.I may have to tweak the inter message setting … this is adjustable in Vera Alerts … I did not bring out the parameter in Vera Proximity.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m used to it because of Vera Alerts. I also assumed the Vera was being set. It was more just referring to the fact that it caught me going in and out of the fence so many times (I think there were 5 sets or so). So it is somewhat accurate and that was all on Wifi. It could have been I was “bouncing” around towers and that was doing it.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:39, topic:180988”]There is a standard “rapid” update for all network transistions (wifi to GSM, GSM to wifi), and for Fence entry/exit for 2 minutes.
I am changing the location sampling interval to 30 seconds for this period.[/quote]

If this rapid update is when transfering networks, does it do one right off the bat? If so that might be why it’s triggering for me so accurately when I get home. My parking spot is right where I start to get Wifi and my phone switches over.