Vera Proximity New Android Applications

[quote=“clippermiami, post:60, topic:180988”][quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:58, topic:180988”]@clippermiami
The false hits from a small radius are a result of the location services detecting a change in cell tower strength (or it even changing towers) when the gps is off.
When the phone is in low power mode it often turns off the gps to save power … then uses cell tower changes to detect location/movement. This can also happen if their is poor gps coverage in the house. I have some other ideas about how to eliminate the false triggers (which only appear to be momentary) by using some of the other phone sensors.
If your phone is not moving … it should not be exiting or entering a fence.[/quote]

Richard

Yes, the detections are momentary, sometimes as little as a second or two. For testing i have notifications set when the Home/Away changes state and often I get two notifications almost simultaneously. This happened a lot several days ago before I moved the fence out to 0.03, haven’t had a false trigger in several days since that.[/quote]

I had the same issue before going to .03. Perhaps .02 is too small. I do plan on testing at .04 as well.

Update:

This morning AT&T pushed out an Android update to version 4.2.2 to my HTC One X+ and HTC One VX. Immediately after that my Vera Proximity started tripping on and off every few seconds. I can’t be certain that it is directly related to the upgrade or not because I was getting occasional false trips Wednesday afternoon as well. I have temporarily disabled Proximity.

The update for my wife’s One VX is still downloading and once it installs I will be better able to tell if its related to the Android change or not.

Just FYI, yesterday morning I reset the GeoFence for Home on my One X+ to .04 and was still getting occasional false trips in the afternoon. My wife’s GeoFence has been set to .04 all along.

[Timing is everything, I’ve just upgraded phones to Samsung Galaxy S5s (Android KitKat {4.4.4} and they should be here in a day or two :)]

I think you mean 4.4.2 or 4.4.3 as 4.4.3 is the newest version that was just released to the Nexus devices the other day. And unless you got the Google Play edition, I think it will be 4.4.2 (I could be wrong). The only non-nexus/non-gpe device to get 4.4.3 that I know of so far is the MotoX (T-Mobile version) which was released a day after it was released to the Nexus devices.

There isn’t much difference, I just wanted to give you a heads up so you were disappointed.

I think you mean 4.4.2 or 4.4.3 as 4.4.3 is the newest version that was just released to the Nexus devices the other day. And unless you got the Google Play edition, I think it will be 4.4.2 (I could be wrong). The only non-nexus/non-gpe device to get 4.4.3 that I know of so far is the MotoX (T-Mobile version) which was released a day after it was released to the Nexus devices.

There isn’t much difference, I just wanted to give you a heads up so you were disappointed.[/quote]

Type, started typing “.” and “4” and couldn’t stop :slight_smile:
Yes, my Nexus was recently updated to 4.4.3.

[quote=“clippermiami, post:62, topic:180988”]Update:

This morning AT&T pushed out an Android update to version 4.2.2 to my HTC One X+ and HTC One VX. Immediately after that my Vera Proximity started tripping on and off every few seconds. I can’t be certain that it is directly related to the upgrade or not because I was getting occasional false trips Wednesday afternoon as well. I have temporarily disabled Proximity.

The update for my wife’s One VX is still downloading and once it installs I will be better able to tell if its related to the Android change or not.

Just FYI, yesterday morning I reset the GeoFence for Home on my One X+ to .04 and was still getting occasional false trips in the afternoon. My wife’s GeoFence has been set to .04 all along.

[Timing is everything, I’ve just upgraded phones to Samsung Galaxy S5s (Android KitKat {4.4.4} and they should be here in a day or two :)][/quote]

It appears to be strangely coincidental. My wife’s One VX completed the Update and it did not suddenly start reporting false trips.

But my One X+ is still popping in and out of home every few seconds so I’v turned off Proximity for now.

Sounds like GPS is off … and the phone is switching cell towers.

Richard my Note 3 has several options

Wifi, cell or GPS or any combination. Whats your recommendation? Do you use MAX accuracy and leave them all on?

GPS is ON. Of course I’m inside so there might be a GPS acquisition problem but the other Location options are all on as well. I do not discount the possibility of switching towers but there isn’t much I can do about that :slight_smile:

I’ve just turned Proximity back on and it immediately started switching. GPS has a solid 9 satellite fix right now even indoors so it must be switching cell towers — I’ve got a pretty weak signal right now. It keeps indicating Exiting/Entering the Home Fence (set to .04 right now) I’ll watch for that the next time it switches in and out.

The size of your home fence determine the accuracy you should select. The various options have power consumption implications.

I have plans to reduce the false triggers. I have to finish up my current changes to HAL.

Ok, I have a few things to say. First is that the “notification sound” I was hearing was the default communication error. Perhaps you could also put a notification that says there was an error. I had no clue what it meant, but I assumed it was from when I set the exit sound. I’m apparently wrong.

Second, I’m guessing it doesn’t try again since the last time I tested, I had made some changes and noticed that my MS never changed in vera (obviously because of the communication error). If it does try again, it’s not working (or not letting me know it’s not working). If it doesn’t try again, I think it should wait maybe 1 minute and try again (and maybe a few times after that).

Third, could there be a way to “mimic” an entry/exit action in the app for testing? It’s kind of a pain to get in the car and drive around just to test and even then I’m not in front of vera to see the changes (I know I could use an app, and I am (Authomation)). I thought it was at least resetting the “entry” when you edited a fence, but after recreating my fences, it is not telling me if I exit or enter. Granted, I’m not walking very far either, but I do see in the app that I am moving in and out of the fence. I’m guessing there is a poll, so I just may be missing the poll and entering/exiting too soon.

Lastly, is there a way to remove the notification at the top? I put this on my Fiance’s phone and I don’t want to add any confusion. The notification doesn’t seem to be consistent in it’s appearance an option to not show it would be great (As she doesn’t care if it’s monitoring her location or not). I’m guessing it’s there to keep the app live? If not, an option to remove it would be great.

All added to the list …

Actually it’s an ANDROID requirement … that if a service is running in the background … and it needs to stay running … even if their is no user interface (What android calls an Activity) that it must have a persistent notification. I will have to think about a better message.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:71, topic:180988”]All added to the list …

Actually it’s an ANDROID requirement … that if a service is running in the background … and it needs to stay running … even if their is no user interface (What android calls an Activity) that it must have a persistent notification. I will have to think about a better message.[/quote]

That’s odd. How does Vera Alerts get past that? I assume it is a background service as well (or maybe it’s all event driven). Also Moto Assist does it, but then again, Motorola has the option of modifying Android itself to remove those restrictions for their apps.

Either way, she can deal with it (and didn’t really say much about it…it was more just me wanting her to not have to see it).

[quote=“SirMeili, post:72, topic:180988”][quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:71, topic:180988”]All added to the list …

Actually it’s an ANDROID requirement … that if a service is running in the background … and it needs to stay running … even if their is no user interface (What android calls an Activity) that it must have a persistent notification. I will have to think about a better message.[/quote]

That’s odd. How does Vera Alerts get past that? I assume it is a background service as well (or maybe it’s all event driven). Also Moto Assist does it, but then again, Motorola has the option of modifying Android itself to remove those restrictions for their apps.

Either way, she can deal with it (and didn’t really say much about it…it was more just me wanting her to not have to see it).[/quote]

Well I have found that on my Note 3 with custom ROM after going under the application manager I can uncheck notifications from this app and all is well. I never see it again.

On my wifes S4 also custom ROM I did the same and she still sees the notifications.

Also on mine even after update I do not get the notifications on the app icon and she does.

In general Vera Alerts is NOT a background service.
It is invoked (woken up) by Google Play Services when it (Google) delivers a new message.

In LAN mode … it stays awake at the expense of battery power by requiring whats called a partial wake lock and a WIFI lock.

Do I require a separate license for each phone? I want to add my wife’s phone. Thanks

No … one license per Vera.

Thanks

Oops… I thought it was one per phone. Oh well… extra beer for RTS :grin:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I’m having troubles to setting up a vera action for a fence. When I click “select” the popup “looking up data” appears, then “error accessing your vera”. I gave it a try a couple of times. I double checked my credentials, vera id seems to be right too.
Did I miss something?

I have a timeout that is on the short side that I have a fix for … I have some other changes I am testing.

I suggest you configure the Vera settings while on a LAN. The timeout should be fine for triggering an event, when its not on the LAN.
The data size for setup is very big and a slow network link can exceed the timeout.