Vera2 has lost the configuration on all my devices and I can't reconfigure

Last night I was installing a z-wave 2-way switch (which happens to be in the room with the vera 2). I had to turn the power on/off repeatedly to test whether it was wired correctly. I noticed when I went to bed that every device is now showing “unable to get information on node” or device has not been configured. I’ve tried multiple heals/repairs. I’m on the beta version of the UI4. I’ve even tried removing one of the nodes, re-adding it back to the network and it still can’t configure it. The only thing that I haven’t tried is a network reset. Any explanation for what happened and how to fix this?? I’m baffled! I have motion sensors, zwave deadbolts (schlage), receptacles, lamp, and appliance modules, none of which work. :frowning: If I try to turn them on/off, the UI4 reports that “Transmit failed with code: 1” Nothing on my entire network functions now :(((

I’m sorry to report that I just went through this as well. It looked like the Zwave chip or receiver had become corrupted somehow ?

My solution - after several days of trying soft resets, hard resets, loading backups etc

I reflashed vera2 back to new , did the whole setup and programming again - and am now trying to add all my devices back.

The reflash tool required a dig-out of an old XP computer - the tool DOES NOT work under Win7

Total pain - Here’s the link http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Firmware_Flash_Vera2

[quote=“gadget12345, post:2, topic:168360”]I’m sorry to report that I just went through this as well. It looked like the Zwave chip or receiver had become corrupted somehow ?

My solution - after several days of trying soft resets, hard resets, loading backups etc

I reflashed vera2 back to new , did the whole setup and programming again - and am now trying to add all my devices back.

The reflash tool required a dig-out of an old XP computer - the tool DOES NOT work under Win7

Total pain - Here’s the link http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Firmware_Flash_Vera2[/quote]

Did you try to run it in Win7 compatibility mode for XP?

Where are you and what locale is set???

Please refer to this thread:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6652.0

Just tried - and hangs head in shame - does now pickup the network cards. [Right click the upgrade.exe, Select properties, click Compatibility tab, Compatibility mode XP Service Pack 3]

Hope this thread helps someone else.

I didn’t even think to check locality - after so many resets, reloads etc the reflash or the big hammer was going to work :wink:

[quote=“gadget12345, post:2, topic:168360”]I’m sorry to report that I just went through this as well. It looked like the Zwave chip or receiver had become corrupted somehow ?

I reflashed vera2 back to new , did the whole setup and programming again - and am now trying to add all my devices back.[/quote]

I cleared out my Zwave network, re-added everything (great fun) and had things working for 2 days. Now I spontaneously have a ton of “Generic_IO” devices and my formerly-working devices are toast again…

Wow! :o

Is this with the 2.78 or the 3.20 Z-Wave firmware?

3.20. I need the updated routing, as enough of my devices aren’t in direct reach to Vera. I used to constantly have delayed or failed commands with 2.78. 1.1.245 seemed to be godsend, but alas it was too good to be true.

It happened once already (all devices just ‘failed to configure’) which seems like a z-wave chip problem (or somehow vera changed the house ID or got booted… I don’t know). MCV tech support checked remotely and said vera seemed fine, just wasn’t getting any responses from anything.

So I unpaired all 50+ devices and cleared/reset everything, then went around and paired them all again. Good for 2 days, and then it happens again except it is now making Generic_IO’s and random stuff by the boatload. MCV is looking into it again… hoping they can at least determine if it is truly the Zwave chip/firmware not behaving (in which case I guess everybody is screwed?) or there is some bizarre bug in Vera.

I just don’t understand how this stuff happens “by itself”. I honestly never touch Vera or look at her webUI… I just want some basic timed scenes to work and to configure a few associations, then have them stop disappearing, stop failing to configure, no random new devices appearing. Not sure if it is Vera or the underlying Zwave chip/firmware that sucks, but it is getting tiresome. :cry:

Hi marcoose -

I had the same problem happen several times on 3.20…

The first time this happened, like you, I unpaired and re-paired all of the devices. It took me almost 5 hours over a week (including some difficult devices to pair like the HSM100s and locks).

The second time it happened I was 150 miles away from vera (it’s installed in a vacation home) and I was even more unhappy. Frustrated I kept repairing and re-repairing the network. Surprisingly after about 5 repairs vera correctly re-configured all of the devices. It surprised me!!

I’m not sure what happened… I’m guessing it was something environmental. Something in the z-wave frequency range… Repairing the network certainly is less work re-including 25+ nodes.

I hope this helps…

Don

It is my understanding that .1245 has a workaround for the bug if you’re on 2.78 (which includes folks who use the dongle). @JOD, is that accurate?

[...]or somehow vera changed the house ID[...]MCV [..] said vera seemed fine, just wasn't getting any responses from anything
Don't know which devices you have, but at least the Trane t-stat will display the HouseID and on Vera the HouseID is in /etc/cmh/zwave_house_id, so you could compare the two.

Not sure if that applies at all, but it’s easy to check the locale in /etc/cmh/zwave_locale.

I just don't understand how this stuff happens "by itself". [...] It it is getting tiresome.
No kidding. There must be something in your environment that's triggering this. I hope MCV will find something in the logs.

It is my understanding that .1245 has a workaround for the bug if you’re on 2.78 (which includes folks who use the dongle). @JOD, is that accurate?[/quote]That is correct. Routing now works for both 2.78 and 3.20.

JOD.

Aha, there is some sneaky hidden command to clear the routing table in 2.78 I guess. Perhaps I’ll do another full wipe of the firmware and network and start fresh on 1.1.1245 w/ 2.78 and see what life is like. Pretty sure I don’t have anything that runs in the ~900MHz spectrum, and my neighbour’s cordless is the 5GHz. I would hope z-wave can handle a wee bit of interference without adding a million _Generic IO devices (FCC part 15! ;D)

Yep.

Perhaps I'll do another full wipe of the firmware and network and start fresh on 1.1.1245 w/ 2.78 and see what life is like.
Would be very interesting to see if it makes a difference.
[..] I would hope z-wave can handle a wee bit of interference
Me too. :) Seems ok for me with WiFi/DECT/GSM/Bluetooth/HomeLink sharing the ether.