Vera3 power light is blinking green&orange OR power light is solid green

That is normal that your usb ports do that.

• Garrett

I got a vera 3 (newest firmware) which is left in this state after having used the battery pack.

Now, I can’t get the recovery tool to work. On no version of windows xp the network adapters are shown when the tool is started. So I can not use this one!

I tried doing the steps via telnet, they seem to work, but after the vera reboots it stays in the same state!

Are there any other approaches? How could I load a firmware file by tftp or telnet?!

Dissappointed with my Vera3. Seems to fail in this blinking green/orange everytime there is a power failure.

I would like to see some real effort put in to fix this product so that it can recover without problems from an unnexpected power failure.

I’m spending more time fixing it and on this thread than making my HA work. Wife not happy either… :stuck_out_tongue:

Is anyone out there using the battery permanently in the y cable configuration? Kind of like a UPS? I suppose this would work ok?

Didn’t know if to post here of start a new thread.

But I have a similar problem. I use vera3 as my router all was fine when suddenly Internet cut out looked at vera and wan light rapidly flickering, after reading a little I flashed vera first tried telnet then though firmware recovery, now all I get is a green then amber light finally staying on solid orange (power light) help! Unit has been in place 3 days.

Honestly guys, I’d suggest a UPS for real. They aren’t that expensive, really… and will go a long way to make a home automation system based on Vera more reliable.

Lets be honest here… high end automation systems cost thousands just for entry… whereas the Vera costs a hundred and change. We can’t expect it to stand up to stuff like Control4 or Crestron, HAI. Even those systems require quality networks to work properly, anyways.

I would also not use the Vera as a router. Not only did they hide all the useful routing features, but like most modem/router hybrids, they kind of suck at the job. Stand alone hardware tends to work better in networking, IMO. Let the Vera do what it’s good at, and leave the rest to other specialized equipment. Give it TLC with a stable LAN and power system, and things ought to improve.

UPS
Reliable modem
Reliable router
VeraLite/3

Received my unit on thursday and yesterday added some dimmers and relay inserts to the system. After that I connected to internet and Vera said there is a new firmware version available so I put it to upgrade and left it alone. After approximately half hour later there was a short power failure. I hoped it had done firmware update succesfully before it but after it Vera kept blinking green/orange few hours. I read from here how to repare this problem and tried telnet commands and firmware recovery but either of them helped and now it is first blinking orange/green and after it has blinked few times it stays solid orange?? Is this still possible to repair myself or do I have to send it back to seller/mcv and wait long time to get it back?

Here are some resources to try;

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Factory_Reset

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=11505.0

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=9949.0

Good luck to you.

Can’t get any progress with this… Reset button does nothing :confused: Tried to press it over 10 seconds, double pressing and holding after double press. Help and Z-Wave buttons act same way. Only pressing reset quickly during booting makes power light blink rapidly green/orange and then I can connect to the unit via telnet and Z-Wave button during boot makes USB1 blink. UI doesn’t work at all. And after recovering firmware with Vera3 Firmware recovery tool and recovery firmware unit is still in same condition. Recovery tool however says update was succesful. I guess I have to contact tech support and hope this can be fixed with their help without sending unit away…

[quote=“cj, post:1, topic:170123”]A. POWER LIGHT IS BLINKING Green&Orange
In firmwares lower that 1.5.270 there is present a bug in the kernel nand driver which can cause a corruption of the jffs2 file system, making the unit to hang at boot when it’s mounting the rootfs_data mtd.
It seems that the corruption is happening when the unit is unplugged from the battery pack. Because of this we’ve added a
POWER OFF feature in the new firmware. So before disconnecting the battery pack keep pressed for 5 seconds the HELP button and wait 5 seconds after your see all light turning off (excepting the Power light which will be solid green) then unplug the battery pack.
In case your unit, has Internet connection and it’s POWER LIGHT is FLASHING GREEN AND ORANGE for more than 15 minutes it’s possible that you’re affected by the bug.
In order to fix your unit you can follow this guide :
NOTE : doing this won’t fix any other issues like ZWave not working/ZWave No-Dongle etc

Try to restore you unit firmware following this tutorial, if you are unable, then follow the bellow steps and be sure at the end to upgrade your firmware to the latest version!

1. Turn OFF wireless or any other connection that your computer might have(blue-tooth/virtual Ethernet etc)
  2. Connect your computer directly into the LAN1 port of the Vera3 unit
  3. Plug the power adapter in Vera and when the red light starts blinking, press and release the RESET button.
    You should notice the power led to start flashing green&orange faster.
  4. Put a static IP on your computer (192.168.1.2) and the gateway 192.168.1.1 (subnet mask will always default to 255.255.255.0 - so leave it like that)
  5. Open a command prompt / terminal and run the following commands :
    5.1. ping 192.168.1.1
  • if you receive a reply continue, else power cycle you Vera unit and retry step 3
    5.2. telnet 192.168.1.1
  • if you don’t have telnet, please install it accordingly to your OS

After you’re connected to the unit through telnet you should see a command prompt like this :
[tt]root@(none):/#[/tt]

In there run these commands:

flash_eraseall -j /dev/mtd7 sync echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

1. Now the Vera unit should reboot and you should see it booting up. It might take a couple of minutes, first the POWER LED should be solid orange, then blink green&orange slow when it’s booting and after that green solid when it finished booting up.
  2. Change your IP address back on automatically or 192.168.81.2 and gateway 192.168.81.1
  3. Check that the Dashboard loads on 192.168.81.1 after all the LEDs are on and solid green
    Now your Vera unit is reseted to factory defaults and is running the same base firmware and MiOS firmware as it was before, so you should :
  4. first upgrade your firmware by visiting : MiOS and then on the new version
  5. restore a previous backup of your unit from your account (cpui5.mios.com(be sure to login) → Setup → Backups).

B. POWER LIGHT IS SOLID Green (optional USB1 led can blink)
If from the time you plugged the power cord into your unit only the POWER light has lit green (optional USB1 led can blink) and no other leds are light up/blinking,
it’s possible that your unit kernel mtd partition is corrupted and the bootloader can’t load any OS from the flash.
In order to recover your unit you need to re-write the firmware on the unit from the bootloader using this tutorial.

C. ALL LIGHTS ARE SOLID Green
Each Vera3 unit has to pass a testing process in the factory which will confirm that all leds, buttons, zwave and networking modules are working. In order to mark the start of this process the unit will light up solid green all its leds and will hang the boot process until this test pass with success all the steps. In case this happens please contact support and mention how the unit get in this state and from where you bought it.

D. ALL LIGHTS ARE OFF
If you’ve connected the correct power adapter (12V 1A) to your unit and this is plugged into a working socket, it’s possible to have a defective power supply or Vera unit. Please try a different power adapter which has the same polarity/voltage or contact sales for a RMA.[/quote]
I still have this issue with my vera3 and I have 1.5.622 as the firmware.
I have had to eraseall several times in one week. I do hope they fix this issue. I have put in a ticket for support and am waiting for a reply.
Maybe we just have to hand in for awhile longer.

So what is the fix for the “Professional Automation Option” problem? I’m dealing with that now.

I Had to do the procedure with flashing the firmware as well today .

Thankfully I had an old windows Xp computer still in the basement , since it didn’t work on my windows 7 (windows xp compatibily mode) . But the procedure needs to be updated since XP is OUT!!!

Cor

This just happened to my veralite today.

I unplugged the veralite to add a new door sensor. After plugging it back in, I got the blinking green light.

Simply pressing the reset button and power up does not work.

Well after only 7 months with my Vera 3, I thought the relationship was over… I came home today to find my Vera power light flashing off/on (along with some other intermittent strange light flashes across all the lights) so I Googled “vera 3 power light flashing” and what do I find… This thread…

So it looks like I got hit with this “bug”??, however in my case it doesn’t apear to have been caused by an un-managed power cycle as my Vera is on a UPS (and we did have any power outages).

Thankfully the proccedure above worked and I’m now back up an running…

That was a close one…

[quote=“E10, post:52, topic:170123”]I have the same problem as turnkey

The first five lights are on all solid (power,wifi,wan,service,lan) after a firmware update that said it was successful.
Now it’s bricked, how do I fix it?[/quote]

Did anyone have an answer for this, as I have this issue now.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi, well, just wanted to see if I could get any tips for Vera3 flashing Red/Green.

This is what I have tried:

1. Installed Windows Virtual PC with Windows XP mode
  2. turned off all firewalls, anti-virus ect on windows 7
  3. opened Windows XP mode
  4. Downloaded the vera3_recovery tool and latest_vera3_recovey_firmware
  5. turned off all firewalls in Windows XP
  6. followed the instructions here: wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Firmware_Flash_Vera3
  7. Did not work - sometimes got an error within the recovery tool “Access Target Error”, but basically the device never showed up in the list
  8. Followed instructions in this thread (first one that suggests pinging and teleneting): http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9027.msg59030.html#msg59030

I am having no luck. I do not really like hardware that insists on being re-flashed. Does not look good at all! ???
Having said that, seeing as I own a brick, does anyone have any tips before I research other home automation options?
I really gave both suggestions a good try - spent all day trying it over and over, rebooting PC in between, rechecking settings ect.

Sorry I can’t help…

The first time I tried the included instructions it failed, but on the second attempt I worked.

I have a feeling that my unit is about to “corrupt” it’s self again as it’s starting to act strange, and if I remember correctly this is what happened on my first corruption…

An alternative HA solution can’t come fast enough…

Well, after reliability issues for months with LuaUpnp always restarting itself my Vera 3 may have just bit the dust.

Latest firmware crashed Vera hard.

Following this thread I was able to get the previous UI7 build on.

But both of my backups failed to restore (though they worked yesterday on the newest UI7).

Pretty sure these backups were prior to this release (I know for sure one of them was).

And now, even these instructions don’t work.

I can telnet in and issue the erase all command… But in reboot there is now no way to connect to Vera…

I don’t know do…

I can’t get OpenLuup working on Windows so will have to run a heavier instance of Ubuntu in a VM…

OpenHab looks powerful but makes my head spin. Somebody wrote a plugin for my Lutron lights for OpenHab 2 but I can’t get the other plugins to work…

Indigo looks very good. I have a spare Mac. But the community is not quite as rich, doesn’t support locks, and some of the plugins aren’t quite as complete.

My head hurts.

Didn’t know if to post here of start a new thread either.

I’ve had my Vera 3 for only two weeks running the latest firmware (1.7.730). Woke up one morning to an unresponsive system (My bedroom light runs off motion from a multi sensor 6 and it would not turn on). Tried to open Vera in browser (failed to open page) so had a look at the unit and it just had a solid green light. I cycled power and afterwards it came back on but the next night it did the same thing. So cycled power again to get going but now its got to the stage where it only lasts about an hour before becoming unresponsive again.

FYI the unit has always been on a UPS and sits next to my Internet Modem connected directly via ethernet cable.

Any idea if this is still the path to go down from 2012?

B. POWER LIGHT IS SOLID Green (optional USB1 led can blink) If from the time you plugged the power cord into your unit only the POWER light has lit green (optional USB1 led can blink) and no other leds are light up/blinking, it's possible that your unit kernel mtd partition is corrupted and the bootloader can't load any OS from the flash. In order to recover your unit you need to re-write the firmware on the unit from the bootloader using this tutorial.

I have contacted support but I might be waiting a while this time of year.

When I plug my vera to the power the zwave, internet and warning lights blink twice all at once and then go off. The power led never goes on…

I can’t seem to revive it anymore, it all started after the last firmware update. Never had issues before updating my Vera…

HI All,
I only own a MAC and telnet does not work , is there another way to recover my vera 3
I opened terminal
new remote connection
talent connection and entered 192.168.1.1
did not recognise

I connected my MAC to the unit and followed the steps to get the red green light to flash fast

could i get some advice as my vera 3 unit is flashing red green.