Vera3 power light is blinking green&orange OR power light is solid green

I was in a corner the other day when I messed up my Vera 3. It would not load the web site, but I was able to gain ssh access. I could not get the firmware recovery procedures to work as the only windows installation I have is windows 7. I followed the wiki guide and could not get the recovery tool to find my network adapter. I have tried several machines and the tool would not find any of the network adapters on the other machines. The tool was setup to run windows xp service pack 3 compatibility mode and still no luck. There needs to be a better way to recover and not have to rely on a windows that is now not supported by microsoft. In the end, I followed the instructions in the first post to telnet into the unit and ran the commands and it came back up.

Question, when upgrading vera’s firmware via the normal procedures, e.g. going to the firmware web page, does the newer firmware include the fixes?

• Garrett

When doing a firmware upgrade through the web page(to a version greater than 1.5.287), it will upgrade also the base image which contains the latest kernel fixes but will not contain the new bootloader. The bootloader ecc has effect only when upgrading the firmware using the recovery tool.
The recovery tool and the bootloder are made by the hardware manufacture and they said that they don’t have the man power to make a Windows 7 tool right now. We’re making preasure and hopping to have a Windows 7 tool, from them, also in the future.

When doing a firmware upgrade through the web page(to a version greater than 1.5.287), it will upgrade also the base image which contains the latest kernel fixes but will not contain the new bootloader. The bootloader ecc has effect only when upgrading the firmware using the recovery tool.
The recovery tool and the bootloder are made by the hardware manufacture and they said that they don’t have the man power to make a Windows 7 tool right now. We’re making preasure and hopping to have a Windows 7 tool, from them, also in the future.[/quote]

Glad to hear as Windows XP is pretty much done with and most windows computers now a days come with Windows 7. If I had my way, I would really like to have a linux tool.

• Garrett

If companies truly wanted to Do It Once then they’d put their firmware image onto a live Linux CD ISO. Those of us old enough to remember boot floppies will recognize the full circle.

CJ: When clicking on firmware it tells me:
You are running the latest version: 1.5.254
I have already had to reboot once per your instructions. Since my firmware is less than 1.5.270, can you tell me the proper procedure for disconnecting my Vera3 from power and my network so that I can add new devices without bricking my unit? Also, after i have added devices, what is the proper procedure before reconnecting to power and network?

Hey guys, I am getting the green/red blinking power light also. I thought I was being careful when I shut the Vera3 down ::). I have been very impressed with my first home automation project. I have done a bunch of switches, receptacles, a relay for the garage door and only had one problem, green/red flashing power (that Tech support remotely fixed and told me to hold help to shut down) . Being new to all this, and not that computer savvy, I stopped adding Z-wave devices after the first Red/Green. Well after a couple of weeks, I couldn’t take it anymore, and ordered a Door kit, and a Casa VistaCam. I figured I would have problems with these two, but not the R/G again. Could anyone help me through the process of getting her up again, I miss her already (it’s been 20hrs with home automation) Thx, Jerry

I was following CJ’s directions for “POWER LIGHT IS BLINKING Green&Orange”. AND…I made it to step “4”. Can someone explain how to put you computer in a static IP address. Thx, Jerry

Not sure what OS you are running but the below from YouTube will give a rough idea:

Windows XP (windows 7 is similar) Tutorial: How to set up a Static IP Windows XP - YouTube
OSX - YouTube

No Linux example as I’m assuming if you were running it, then stereo-typically you’d know how to do it :slight_smile:

I have a Vera Lite that has the blue power light solid and the network light solid on. How or when can I telnet vera? I did the direct connection and it refuses telnet or ssh.
Thanks

After following the procedure to reflash my vera3 found in this thread, she now has orange power, orange wifi, green wan, green service, and green lan lights - all solid. The reflash procedure was the result of a single solid green power light that followed my acceptance to upgade to the latest firmware. The reflash process was then attempted and successful (I received the “success” message) but the automatic reboot never occured. Please advise what to do next. Thanks.

I seem to have broken my Vera 3. Can some one send me the boot loader program so I can try that. I tried to PM CJ but as I’m new the forum will not let me. Thanks shakey at tampabay.rr dot com

I have the same problem as turnkey

The first five lights are on all solid (power,wifi,wan,service,lan) after a firmware update that said it was successful.
Now it’s bricked, how do I fix it?

My Vera 3 has a solid green power light, and flashing USB1 or USB2, (depending if my USB-UIRT is plugged in the respective ports, otherwise it’s off), but everything seems to work.

Should I bother reflashing? All the other LEDs such as WAN, Z-Wave glow green.

If everything is working why you’ll need to reflash your unit? This should be done only if you can’t access it anymore and the leds are blinking in the described way, meaning that there was a firmware corruption and the unit is not booting anymore.

OK, was just wondering if something had gone wrong that my USB light constantly flashes, but it still boots fine.

That is normal that your usb ports do that.

• Garrett

I got a vera 3 (newest firmware) which is left in this state after having used the battery pack.

Now, I can’t get the recovery tool to work. On no version of windows xp the network adapters are shown when the tool is started. So I can not use this one!

I tried doing the steps via telnet, they seem to work, but after the vera reboots it stays in the same state!

Are there any other approaches? How could I load a firmware file by tftp or telnet?!

Dissappointed with my Vera3. Seems to fail in this blinking green/orange everytime there is a power failure.

I would like to see some real effort put in to fix this product so that it can recover without problems from an unnexpected power failure.

I’m spending more time fixing it and on this thread than making my HA work. Wife not happy either… :stuck_out_tongue:

Is anyone out there using the battery permanently in the y cable configuration? Kind of like a UPS? I suppose this would work ok?

Didn’t know if to post here of start a new thread.

But I have a similar problem. I use vera3 as my router all was fine when suddenly Internet cut out looked at vera and wan light rapidly flickering, after reading a little I flashed vera first tried telnet then though firmware recovery, now all I get is a green then amber light finally staying on solid orange (power light) help! Unit has been in place 3 days.

Honestly guys, I’d suggest a UPS for real. They aren’t that expensive, really… and will go a long way to make a home automation system based on Vera more reliable.

Lets be honest here… high end automation systems cost thousands just for entry… whereas the Vera costs a hundred and change. We can’t expect it to stand up to stuff like Control4 or Crestron, HAI. Even those systems require quality networks to work properly, anyways.

I would also not use the Vera as a router. Not only did they hide all the useful routing features, but like most modem/router hybrids, they kind of suck at the job. Stand alone hardware tends to work better in networking, IMO. Let the Vera do what it’s good at, and leave the rest to other specialized equipment. Give it TLC with a stable LAN and power system, and things ought to improve.

UPS
Reliable modem
Reliable router
VeraLite/3