VeraEdge and Zipato Indoor Siren (with 6 different sounds)

I’ve added a Zipato Indoor Siren to my VeraEdge. Even though the Zipato is able to play 6 different sounds, it seems that with VeraEdge (and UI7) all I can do is activate the siren sound. I have no way of activating any of the other 5 sounds. I started looking at how I can do this using luup code in a scene, but it seems that the Zipato is configured as a BinaryLight:1, which I believe implies I can only set a value of 0 or 1. I need to be able to set values from 0-255. According to the Zipato manual, it supports SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_SET to achieve this, but being a complete novice to using luup, I can’t figure out how I can achieve this. Can someone maybe enlighten me on how I can get this to work using luup code?

Thanks,
-Adrian

COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL is a capability(38) that is included with dimmer type devices, not binary switches.

Though I have no idea if it will work, you might try changing the device type under the Siren’s Advanced tab:
Device_Type: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:DimmableLight:1
Device_File: D_DimmableLight1.xml

Then see how it reacts to different dim level settings.

There is also a Siren device class that you might try.
Device_Type: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:Siren1
Device_File: D_Siren1.xml
Device_Json: D_Siren1.json

Thanks. I tried your suggestion, but could not get it to play the different sounds.

One other option is to use raw zwave commands in a luup script, but I’m not sure what is required to get it to work. If I use the following, then I can make the siren turn on, but I don’t seem to be able to change the sound. Anything other than 0 just starts the alarm sound. I presume that somehow I have to configure the device to support the SWITCH_MULTI_SET command (38). I did try using that in the luup script, but nothing happened, I presume because the device was not configured correctly.

luup.call_action(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1”, “SendData”, {Node=“24”, Data=“37 1 5”}, 1)

-Adrian

[quote=“adriansheppard, post:1, topic:190943”]I’ve added a Zipato Indoor Siren to my VeraEdge. Even though the Zipato is able to play 6 different sounds, it seems that with VeraEdge (and UI7) all I can do is activate the siren sound. I have no way of activating any of the other 5 sounds. I started looking at how I can do this using luup code in a scene, but it seems that the Zipato is configured as a BinaryLight:1, which I believe implies I can only set a value of 0 or 1. I need to be able to set values from 0-255. According to the Zipato manual, it supports SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_SET to achieve this, but being a complete novice to using luup, I can’t figure out how I can achieve this. Can someone maybe enlighten me on how I can get this to work using luup code?

Thanks,
-Adrian[/quote]
I found something that might be useful for you. On the Vesternet site they have an Application Note on installing an Aeon Siren on Vera. The part that gets interesting is the section that says “Great, It Works, but the device is supposed to support different sounds!”. Good Luck http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-90

Yes, I had already seen this article. It was the one that prompted me to try using raw zwave commands to trigger the sounds, but as the Zipato is using SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_SET instead of a command parameter or binary switch value, I can’t seem to get it to work. I think this is because the capabilities of the device does not include 38 (or 38S), which means that when I try to program using class 38 (rather than 37 for a binary switch), it is not working.

I’m sure the information I need to get this working is out there somewhere, it just seems really hard to find details on how the zwave devices are configured and then controlled. I really don’t care about having a UI interface to control this, as a luup script is going to be more than adequate when combined with a scene. Are there any good pointers to explain fully how to configure and control a device using only luup?

Thanks,
-Adrian

You have the necessary details to send the command, but you need to determine what the correct parameters are for that particular device. You’ll need to look to Zipato for this information. While Z-Wave command classes are Z-Wave protocol specific, the parameters of a device are manufacturer and device specific.

I think the reason I can’t get it to work has something to do with the fact that certain of the command classes are being encapsulated in the security network. Here is a link to the zipato manual that lists the supported command classes. It also specifically says that SWITCH_MULTILEVEL_SET is required to select the sound to play. There seems to be no way to select the sound via a parameter or configuration setting.

http://www.vesternet.com/downloads/dl/file/id/798/product/1890/zipabox_indoor_siren_manual.pdf

We recently finished testing the Zipato ZIP-PSE02 siren and found a workaround for using the individual sounds.

More details at http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-125

Hope that helps!

Martyn @ Vesternet

Awesome job Martyn!

Good job Vesternet !
I am glad I haven’t bought one yet.
Hope someone will come up with an easier solution.
For the moment I would not bay it.
The development is not finished.
Does it work in zipato ?

[quote=“svaleb, post:10, topic:190943”]Hope someone will come up with an easier solution.
For the moment I would not bay it.
The development is not finished.
Does it work in zipato ?[/quote]

I doubt there will be an easier solution than the one we suggest - using the Notification Command Class to spoof Report messages will probably never make it into an “official” Vera firmware.

I would expect the Zipato Siren to work perfectly in the Zipato Z-Wave Controller :slight_smile:

Must admit it sounds nice.
I may reconsider,but there must be other companies offering the same.
Thanks for answering.

Brilliant!! Although for me the excitement was short lived, as I could get all of the sounds on the Zipato to work, EXCEPT for the Door Chime, which was the main reason I purchased the device in the first place. Did you guys actually test all of the luup commands on the Zipato device? Can you possibly explain what the different “Types” mean? For the Emergency is was 0x7, for the other alarms it was 0xA, but of the door chime it was 0x16.

Thanks,
-Adrian

That would be interesting for me too.
It is more often used than the alarm features.

[quote=“adriansheppard, post:13, topic:190943”]Brilliant!! Although for me the excitement was short lived, as I could get all of the sounds on the Zipato to work, EXCEPT for the Door Chime, which was the main reason I purchased the device in the first place. Did you guys actually test all of the luup commands on the Zipato device? Can you possibly explain what the different “Types” mean? For the Emergency is was 0x7, for the other alarms it was 0xA, but of the door chime it was 0x16.

Thanks,
-Adrian[/quote]

The specifics of the Z-Wave protocol are buried within the Sigma SDK so it’s difficult to know for sure unless you want to pony up the cash and sign the Sigma NDA :slight_smile:

By reverse engineering this stuff we typically take a best guess, compare with what other information is out there on the web, or just brute force things to see what happens on the device itself.

The Notification Command Class includes “Types” and “Events” - these translate to things like “Security” and “Tamper” or “Smoke” (with no event) or “Emergency Alarm” and “Contact Medical Service” - a lot of it is open to interpretation :slight_smile:

And you can see that these don’t directly correspond to any “siren” type commands, so how the device reacts to these also depends on what the manufacturer decides.

For your Door Chime issue the type should be 0x6 (“Access Control”) and the event should be 0x16 (“Window/Door Open”) - might have fat fingered that on the guide, I will check and correct it later if so.

How about volume ?
would not want a dorbell all over the neighbourhood.

There’s no way to adjust the volume unfortunately, although the door chime is at a fraction of the level of the other sounds.

Excitement regained!!! I think that must be the one combination I didn’t try! I can now play the door chime. Thank you so much for the work put in to figure this out.

Just to add to your list, 0xA 0x5 will play the “beep, beep” sound.

luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’, ‘SendData’, {Node=‘25’, Data=‘0x71 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0xA 0x5 0x0 0x0’}, 1)

-Adrian

Are there any z-wave sirens able to match “out of the box” ?

A little help needed - what I’m I doing wrong!

I’m trying to execute the example code below via LuaTest 1.6 but I’m not getting a response from the device:

luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘387’,Data=‘0x71 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x6 0x16 0x0 0x0’},1)

The device works as a siren simply by turning it on but I’d also like to use it as a door chime.

What have I missed?