VeraLite Firmware 1.7.902 not enough space

I get an error that there is not enough space for 1.7.902
Available 6040 and needed 7292
Does anybody see this also? How can I free up space on the VeraLite?
I know how to login using SSH, but do not know what can be removed.

Any help is welcome.

Regards Ton

The same on Vera 3 :frowning:

Hi,

You can remove files, but you do risk bricking the box (I did) and needing to reflash the recovery firmware. I’d contact support if you do not want to go there. It probably will take a while as I think nearly anything older that an Edge will have the space issue.

Cheers Rene

No issues with Vera Lite, BTW

Yep same problem on my VeraLite:

Not enough space to upgrade.

Available Space: 5744 KB
Required Space: 7292 KB

Support cleared some space on mine and its now updating … although its currently at 23 minutes …

Same problem here with veralite.

My solution :

• create new backup (download on PC)
  • reset to factory default
  • upgrade
  • restore backup (with zwave network)

→ veralite OK with new firmware

Same problem here, any idea which files are safe to delete? Or to find out that’s taking all this space?

I have two Vera3 and no issues with loading this new firmware on either of mine. I have a USB stick in mine and using that for all my log files. Worth a try to see if it frees up some room on yours.

Identical issue here with my VeraLite. Had to power cycle after the first attempt to bring it back to life. Tried again and then got the not enough space error. I think I’ll leave it a while before trying again - I really don’t want to spend Christmas rebuilding the system! :wink:

Same issue here with Vera3. Two messages in to support since yesterday and no response. I am using external USB for logging also.

Ditto here on my Vera3. Use external USB for logs but get warning message. Waiting on Support to come back with some guidance before getting too creative.

As firmware loads get larger may need to consider the Plus in my future. My only concern (other than the $$$) is to understand if the Plus will work with my external Aeon Labs dongle. Hauling Vera’s around with a battery is not something I want to revert back to.

I didn’t get an error regarding storage space but look at these posts [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,40872.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,40872.0.html[/url] and let me know if anyone else is having those issues as well. Its all related to the 1.7.902.

Thanks

Support upgraded my VeraLite on the 14th, and it was working fine for 24 hours, but then I started to get an Alert on ‘can not write user data’. Could not log into my Vera to remove the alert, so I rebooted it. Now it won’t start up completely but instead sits in some kind of loop:

[code]03 12/15/16 20:47:59.603 LuaUPNP: starting bLogUPnP 0 <0x2b7b5310>
02 12/15/16 20:47:59.620 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::Run: pid 22587 didn’t exit <0x2b7b5310>
01 12/15/16 20:47:59.623 UserData::GetUncompressedDataFromFile /etc/cmh/user_data.json.lzo is corrupted <0x2b7b5310>
01 12/15/16 20:47:59.624 UserData::LoadUserData /etc/cmh/user_data.json.lzo doesn’t exist <0x2b7b5310>
01 12/15/16 20:47:59.624 UserData::LoadUserData failed to load /etc/cmh/user_data.json.lzo retry 0 loaded: 0 count: 0 <0x2b7b5310>

2016-12-15 20:47:59 - LuaUPnP Terminated with Exit Code: 245

2016-12-15 20:47:59 - LuaUPnP crash

01 2016-12-15 20:44:6 caught signal 11 <0x2b783310>
01 2016-12-15 20:44:7 caught signal 11 <0x2af61310>
01 2016-12-15 20:44:9 caught signal 11 <0x2ab9e310>
01 2016-12-15 20:44:11 caught signal 11 <0x2afa8310>
[/code]

Have emailed support, but no response yet.

Hi,

Unless you run out of space in the /tmp partition adding a USB for logging will not help with the space issue. For most the space issue is with the /overlay partition. There are two plugins that use a lot of space on the /overlay partition, DataMine and ALTUI. It may help if you remove ALTUI and all its files. DataMine can be temporary removed by the installation script in a way you will not loose any of your data.

If you store your DateMine log files any ware in the /overlay partition you will have to move those somewhere else.

If that does not help I would suggest to sit it out with support. I suspect Vera has a way to avoid this problem. If more need their (free!) support they may look more closely at the script for the next release. It looks they did try for this release, but missed one or two options.

Removing just one file too many can brick your Vera, and as I do not want you to point to me when that happens, I will limit my self to the above suggestions :wink:

@Quinten, can you restore a backup? If not, the main configuration file on your system got corrupted. There are five versions on your vera in the /etc/cmh folder, so you can try to rename one of those to the main one and see if that helps.

Cheers Rene

Thanks for the advice Rene, but sods law, as soon as I hit ‘Post’, I received a reply from Support saying that it should be fixed now, and by Jove, it was…

I did order a Plus on Amazon (out of stock, but good price) and am tempted to keep the order open as the Lite is getting on a bit now after >4 years service…

Rene, I absolutely concur with your comment about checking out the largest files in the /overlay mount. Besides AltUI device files in /etc/cmh-ludl, there are some large files in the /etc/cmh-zwfw folder that do not appear to be of any use for the VeraLite (that uses zwave fw 3.67 for the MiOS firmware I am currently running on my Lite i.e. 1.7.760):

zwave_fw_3.83_eu.hex
zwave_fw_3.83_us.hex
zwave_fw_4.05_au.hex
zwave_fw_4.05_eu.hex
zwave_fw_4.05_us.hex

total = 863KB

Interestingly, the above files are not present in the new 1.7.902 firmware image that I am currently dissecting for my perusal before I venture into the upgrade process. I deleted these files (after a backup…) and so far my VeraLite still works like usual (meaning kind of…) with 7.7MB of free space in /overlay

But I am not suggesting or recommending anyone does it… Just for informed people and your own risks and perils…

On possibly a related note if the space issue arises in the future… The new firmware 1.7.902 localization language files for French and Spanish are 1MB in total… more languages in the future will only increase the firmware image size unless these are built for a single language.

Stuck in the same situation on my Veralite. I have uninstalled apps with only minor memory increases. Added log to USB but had no effect.

Current memory status:

Not enough space to upgrade.
Available Space: 6936 KB
Required Space: 6984 KB
Please contact Customer Care.

Put a support request in last night but haven’t heard back.

UPDATE

I called support, and on the third attempt I actually got someone live (!!!)
After enabling the Veralite for remote support on the Customer Care tab and waiting on the phone for about 10 minutes, I was then instructed to go back to the firmaware page and viola! I then did NOT receive the “not enough space” message. I’m not sure what the fix was (I assume removing unnecessary/old/no longer required files) but the unit is now updating.

My memory shortage cleared itself after a couple of days. I did notice files from apps I have removed, but relearning Putty and Linux to clean up the files is not on my priority list. :smiley:

Bad sectors was my issue. The following was from support, it worked and I’m good with the new firmware.

[i]I?ve checked and saw that there are some bad sectors on the unit and this is why you were not able to upgrade to unit. Because of these bad sectors there is a chance that the unit might be unusable after the upgrade.

I would suggest you try to upgrade the unit but instead of choosing ?Keep my current settings and configuration? option after clicking the ?Upgrade? button, go with ?Restore to default state?. This way you will be able to upgrade the unit. The upgrade procedure will take up to 15-20 minutes and once the unit is back on, you will need to re-assign it to your account and restore a backup from ?Settings? > ?Backup?.

When you are restoring the backup, make sure that the ?Restore z-wave network? option is checked. This will restore all your z-wave devices.

Let me know how it went and if necessary I will get back at you.[/i]