VeraPlus online but after home.getvera.com login Vera says "Controller offline"

sadly, probably not. I’ve seen the complaint about the sorry amount of memory in these things for years.

It doesn’t make any since. I mean, you can buy a whole computer with 4 gigs of ram, 4k video out, and a 128gb SD card for storage for under 50 bucks…

[quote=“RV, post:21, topic:199175”]sadly, probably not. I’ve seen the complaint about the sorry amount of memory in these things for years.

It doesn’t make any since. I mean, you can buy a whole computer with 4 gigs of ram, 4k video out, and a 128gb SD card for storage for under 50 bucks…[/quote]

Yes this has been one of the many problems for as long as I had a vera. MCV trying to fit an elephant through a rat hole…

I was having this issue on and off for a few days and it was driving me crazy. I read somewhere to click on the failsafe tunnels option under networking and it went away and has been working fine since - I’d say about 2 months or so now.

I have to sadly say, that in my case the code mentioned here didn’t help.
I had overstuffed controller (only local access, can’t enable CC access, etc.) and tried to clean it up by sending the code.
Nothig happened, still same issues (even resetting the controller was not possible as it had problem to wipe data - both requested via interface, or by pressing the reset button).
I finally managed to reset the cotroller and make it work again, but as I said, sending the cleaning commands didn’t take any effect.

Maybe it would work if I did it earlier (when memory was not filled that much).

[quote=“RV, post:5, topic:199175”]I sent support an email, they sent this back

This seems to be a memory space issue, please paste the commands I'm going to send you into a notepad before you paste them on the dashboard, they probably are not going to work if you paste them directly from this e-mail, if they still don't work, please try to copy them manually.

You can try this: Please click on the tab: Apps> Develop apps> and on the option: Test Luup code (Lua) please paste the following codes one by one and click on: Go, once You have a positive confirmation message, continue with the next line, once You finish all the lines, the controller will reboot, please wait till You have all the lights on solid on the controller and do the log in one more time.

os.execute(“rm -r /overlay/etc/cmh/ergy*”)
os.execute(“rm -r /overlay/etc/mios_backup.info.old”)
os.execute(“rm -r /overlay/etc/cmh-firmware/mios*”)
os.execute(“rm -r /overlay/etc/cmh/alerts.json”)
os.execute(“rm -r /overlay/dataMine”)
os.execute(“reboot”)

Let me know how it goes.

[/quote]

Thanks a bunch… this helped me today.

If I ever get my Vera sorted out (am at the two week mark of having a completely screwed house) and stick with the piece of crap, rather than a cron job I’m thinking of just whacking these commands into a scene scheduled once a week? Thoughts?

Doesn’t really work. My controller was filled up with 90% of system partition (8.6MB in Plus). Run these commands, no change.
What’s strange, I can’t execute any command via test lua section. There is no error messages about problems with lua in scenes, and scenes containing lua work fine.

[quote=“RV, post:5, topic:199175”]I sent support an email, they sent this back

This seems to be a memory space issue, please paste the commands I'm going to send you into a notepad before you paste them on the dashboard, they probably are not going to work if you paste them directly from this e-mail, if they still don't work, please try to copy them manually.

You can try this: Please click on the tab: Apps> Develop apps> and on the option: Test Luup code (Lua) please paste the following codes one by one and click on: Go, once You have a positive confirmation message, continue with the next line, once You finish all the lines, the controller will reboot, please wait till You have all the lights on solid on the controller and do the log in one more time.

os.execute(“reboot”)

Let me know how it goes.

[/quote]

My Vera Plus has started doing this. Logging into home.getvera.com tells me my controller is offline, but I can control things fine via my phone and scenes are still running.

Thing is, I have only have 28 devices connected and a handful of scenes. So not sure if mine is a memory issue? This said, the last time I successfully connected was to add a device. So maybe that 28th device pushed me over??

Anyways, can anyone tell me where I am supposed to enter the above commands?

Thanks.

you can Go to Apps → Develop Apps → Test Luup code (Lua) → copy and paste the code in and click Go.

I set up a scene that runs them @ 5am every day

Thanks.

May be a silly question, but I have only ever connected to my controller via home.getvera.com. I guess I’ll have to figure out the ip address my router is giving the veraplus and use that. Can I enter just the ip address? Or is there anything else that needs to follow the ip?

EDIT: just the ip address worked fine. Ran that code and all is well now. I too will set up a scene to run this every so often.

Thanks!

[quote=“foghat, post:30, topic:199175”]Thanks.

May be a silly question, but I have only ever connected to my controller via home.getvera.com. I guess I’ll have to figure out the ip address my router is giving the veraplus and use that. Can I enter just the ip address? Or is there anything else that needs to follow the ip?[/quote]

Just enter the IP in your browser http://

yep, for example… http://192.168.0.200/cmh/

I am replying to this thread to thank everyone, the commands restored my Edge back to service. I had a hint I was out of space but didn’t realize it would prevent remote access.
Thanks again!

Thank you! Problem solved.

Steps:

1. login to your Vera via local connection

2. Go to Scenes

3. Set a scene Daily - current time +5mins

4. Enter a Lua script:

os.execute(“reboot”)

1. Wait 5 minutes. Vera will execute commands, reboots & clear cache

2. Set “Failsafe yunnels” unders Settings/ Networks to be safe

Hope it helps - took me 8 hrs to deduct, but it’s working :wink:

another happy customer…

I actually use two scenes, one to clear the file @ 5am and a second one to reboot @ 5:30 or 6am.
Somewhere in my research someone mentioned giving the vera some time after clearing the files before you reboot.

Just confirming that these house keeping commands fixed the offline controller issue for my VeraPlus. It has been in service for well over a year (after replacing a 4 year old Vera Lite) and has been very reliable (several zwave devices, 4 cameras, Caddx security). This is the first significant issue I’ve had with it, so thanks all for the help this thread provided.

I should also mention that I’ve moved all of the automation logic and the primary user interface to Home Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi3. It interfaces with Vera quite nicely. I don’t often need to use the Vera portal, but glad it’s fixed now.

I too am using HA. I’ve kept the basic stuff (open a door → turn on a light) on the Vera, but moved the things that require addition coding to HA automatons.

I used the 2 line code to fix my “offline vera” as well. Working fine again. I think i might try that cron job as mentioned too.

Steve

I am having the same problem after upgrade.
I have tried the LUA scene, but i am getting a message to say ERROR : Error in lua for scenes and events.
This is the exact code I entered in the scene :- os.execute(“rm -r /overlay/etc/cmh/ergy*”)

os.execute(“reboot”)

@Freddy99, double-quotes are toxic in this Forum as they get auto-converted to “pretty quotes”, so your cut-and-pasted code likely went awry due to that (well-documented) problem. Vera correctly flagged it as a syntax error.

Try this manually corrected version:

os.execute("rm -r /overlay/etc/cmh/ergy*")
os.execute("rm -r /overlay/etc/mios_backup.info.old")
os.execute("rm -r /overlay/etc/cmh-firmware/mios*")
os.execute("rm -r /overlay/etc/cmh/alerts.json")
os.execute("rm -r /overlay/dataMine")
os.execute("reboot")

@Sorinreally? After so many years, this can’t be fixed?