VeraSecure

I have few question in regards to the VeraSecure, the VeraSecure supports a proprietary wireless protocol call VeraLink. Where can we find more information about the VeraLink protocol? What devices do or will support the VeraLink protocol? Does the VeraLink protocol support two-way communication to battery operated devices? Once the VeraSecure is setup with a monitoring station does the VeraSecure have two-way communication to the monitoring station? In most parts of North America in order for a monitoring station to send out a police car they need double verification. Is Vera going to be providing Videos or documentation on how to layout a security system so that VeraSecure users can be compliant to the requirements of the monitoring station in general?

Tagging along to get more info myself on this.

Hey people,

VeraLink devices list will be posted shortly on our compatibility page, and by the end of May, we should also have them in our shop.

VeraLink works on 345Mhz (US) and 433 (EU) units. ONLY proprietary VeraLink devices will work. Anything that is not in the device list of the the Vera unit won’t be detected as the pairing is PIN based. When adding a VeraLink device, to enter the VeraLink pairing mode, you have to type in, the unique PIN code found on each VeraLink devices. Yes, VeraLink supports, two way communication with battery operated devices.

VeraSecure hardware has built in speaker and microphone for dual way communication with the monitoring center. However, this feature will only be enabled if you also have the VeraProtect monitoring service enabled: [url=http://getvera.com/services/veraprotect/]http://getvera.com/services/veraprotect/[/url] .

VeraSecure will only be compatible with VeraProtect monitoring service, which is already partnered with one of the most reliable alarm dispatch companies in the country.

Very interesting, just to clarify you said “pairing is PIN based” is the VeraSecure using a PIN system or is the PIN a MAC address? Is the communication between a VeraSecure an a VeraLink devices encrypted? Does a VeraLink devices communicate directly with the VeraSecure for faster communication (lower latency)? Or does VeraLink work like Z-wave using a node system/mesh network where if we move a device the device location needs to be properly updated in the controller? As VeraLink is Vera’s proprietary protocol I’m guessing this means we will see a higher level of integration/support for VeraLink devices than what was previously possible? Will the VeraSecure be able to maintain and push out firmware for VeraLink devices?

How will the VeraSecure identify between security devices and home automation devices or will we only be able to use VeraLink devices for and as security devices? Does or will the VeraSecure support being able to have multiple armed partition that can be monitored by the VeraProtect monitoring service? Example: The house is disarmed but the gun cabinet in the house is armed and monitored.

Is VeraPLus and VeraSecure firmware is same?
VeraSecure shipped with 1.7.2817… latest VeraPlus Beta is 1.7.2861… Is it ok to update to this beta? Trying to test new VistaCamera / Hotzones feature with beta…

Hi Kalapa,

Yes the latest Beta includes major fixes and additions for the new Vistacam Cameras and services.

VeraSecure will always have different firmware than VeraPlus, they are not the same.

@TDehnke. By PIN, I mean the address on the label on these devices. I honestly don;t have any info yet, about the encryption type of these devices but probably it would be stated once the official specs of the devices would be made public.

VeraLink devices are not mesh based and communicate directly with VeraSecure, for minimum latency, (through that external antenna )and in my personal testing phase, range and reliability seemed rock solid, similar to any dedicated Alarm system with similar technology sensors.

I would love to answer all of your questions but there are still things that remain to be settled and I don;t want to pass along any wrong info. But once I have new info I will update as well.

VeraLink devices appear and are treated as any other Z-Wave or plugin generated device in Vera and can be used in scenes and automation.

In regards to partitions, the software does not yet have this as a dedicated ability but I guess it can be achieved through scenes and rooms. This part of the software will have a lot of changes in the upcoming period to better suit the needs of a dedicated Alarm Panel.

Topic is Sticky, don’t hesitate to keep the questions coming and I’ll answer the best I can.

Hi John I believe I recognize the underlying system and technology that Vera is using for VeraLink. It’s a system that is currently only found in high end wireless security systems so I was surprised to see it being used in the VeraSecure. It will be interesting to see what Vera does with VeraLink and allows end users to do. All of the security systems using the same system as VeraLink are extremely limited when it comes to home automation/building automation and none of them allow any plugins for doing automation.

Multiple partition support is important in order to qualify for different insurance programs that is why I was asking about the number of partition that the VeraSecure will support.

Having a high end security systems and excellent home automation system built all into one controller is great for Vera’s business/sales and will help end users save money. But it’s hard for people to get excited about. . . . . . . . . . .

Not about Veralink. I got my Verasecure up and running with just the basic door lock, thermostat, lights and an ip camera. I know we are the first ones to get the Verasecure. But there are literally NO MANUAL or Instructions on the controller. It only said what it can do. No talk about the buttons on it :namely Sync, Select, and the mic. What I was able to pair with the controller was somewhat within the list of devices that it will support. What about the other ones of the 2000 devices it supposedly support? And what about bluetooth, wifi devices? Pressing the sync or select button seems to cycle the different lights to light up or not light up. No clue what the 2 are for , or how to use them to pair. I’m hoping that as more people have worked with theirs , we’ll get some input from experts on how to utilize the expanded features of this versatile machine. It seems to have the potential to so much more than my previous Vera controllers.
For now, I will patiently wait.

[quote=“John M., post:3, topic:196319”]VeraLink devices list will be posted shortly on our compatibility page, and by the end of May, we should also have them in our shop.

VeraLink works on 345Mhz (US) and 433 (EU) units. ONLY proprietary VeraLink devices will work. Anything that is not in the device list of the the Vera unit won’t be detected as the pairing is PIN based. When adding a VeraLink device, to enter the VeraLink pairing mode, you have to type in, the unique PIN code found on each VeraLink devices. Yes, VeraLink supports, two way communication with battery operated devices.[/quote]

According to one of your employees at CES 2017, the VeraSecure with VeraLink will work with 2GIG devices. Is this no longer the case?

http://2gig.com/products/sensors/

Thanks.

These are the current requirements for adding a Vera Link device (See the photo).

I am not a big fan of proprietary anything. Open Source or standards allows more people to tinker but more importantly, pick up when others go out of business.

[quote=“jpark40, post:9, topic:196319”][quote=“John M., post:3, topic:196319”]VeraLink devices list will be posted shortly on our compatibility page, and by the end of May, we should also have them in our shop.

VeraLink works on 345Mhz (US) and 433 (EU) units. ONLY proprietary VeraLink devices will work. Anything that is not in the device list of the the Vera unit won’t be detected as the pairing is PIN based. When adding a VeraLink device, to enter the VeraLink pairing mode, you have to type in, the unique PIN code found on each VeraLink devices. Yes, VeraLink supports, two way communication with battery operated devices.[/quote]

According to one of your employees at CES 2017, the VeraSecure with VeraLink will work with 2GIG devices. Is this no longer the case?

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVWFrJZdRWk]Vera - VeraSecure Z-Wave Security Controller - CES 2017 - Poc Network - YouTube

[url=http://2gig.com/products/sensors/]http://2gig.com/products/sensors/[/url]

Thanks.[/quote]

Well, Nortek owns 2GIG and also 25% out of MiOS, so yes VeraLink devices are based on 2GIG ones, as mentioned in the attached Video.Most 2GIG devices will work with Vera, but only those specified in the compatibility page,to be. Not like other standards, these still need to be manually integrated one by one, to work correctly with Vera.

@Don, we are not dropping any other standards in favor of something proprietary. We just add something, that we will have more control over it, which will help in the long run, for added security and stability, which is a must for a dedicated security system. As you may now, Nortek / 2GIG is a leader in the security, smart home and wellness technology markets and having this hardware part of Vera, will guarantee a solid product.

I’m all for adding more integration to Vera. The IoT is going to be about gateways that connect sensor networks together.

What I’m hoping is that my tinfoil hat conspiracy theory is wrong and this doesn’t distract Vera from maintaining support and resolving long standing issues with z-wave devices.

Thanks for responding and yes, I know it is an added feature. I was making a more philosophical point. I remember messing with video and scanning in the 80’s and 90’s, and getting tied to TGA for scanned images and using AT&T’s Picasso video phone as a cost effective video conferencing scheme using regular phone lines. All proprietary.

It made the scans not very transportable and if your hardware broke, you had to buy that hardware. The OCR and indexing worked well, but I could not share the scans.

The video phone required another Picasso on the other end, plus a cable to a TV to see the video.

Based on these experiences, I would probably not buy VeraLink hardware (unless it was very cool and/or very cheap) and tie myself to a Vera controller - although I do not plan on leaving Vera anytime soon.

[quote=“ckgan, post:8, topic:196319”]Not about Veralink. I got my Verasecure up and running with just the basic door lock, thermostat, lights and an ip camera. I know we are the first ones to get the Verasecure. But there are literally NO MANUAL or Instructions on the controller. It only said what it can do. No talk about the buttons on it :namely Sync, Select, and the mic. What I was able to pair with the controller was somewhat within the list of devices that it will support. What about the other ones of the 2000 devices it supposedly support? And what about bluetooth, wifi devices? Pressing the sync or select button seems to cycle the different lights to light up or not light up. No clue what the 2 are for , or how to use them to pair. I’m hoping that as more people have worked with theirs , we’ll get some input from experts on how to utilize the expanded features of this versatile machine. It seems to have the potential to so much more than my previous Vera controllers.
For now, I will patiently wait.[/quote]

Same here. I was excited about this product so I bought it long ago and just received it. I was able to migrate my entire system from Vera3 to VeraSecure. The new hardware seems faster and everything I use to have it is working perfect (lights, garage door openers, locks, sensors, etc), but I have no clue in what do I need to do to use the “security” part of the product. Even is not clear what monitoring plan should I get. There is one that talk about 3G and battery backup, things that are included in VeraSecure.
The lack of information or instructions it’s annoying.
Can someone put a little light on it?
Thanks

In another thread (http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,44019.msg312086.html#msg312086) the question was asked but not answered, if the 2Gig Ion security sensors would work with the Vera Secure. (iON Digital Plunger Wireless Door Security Sensor, 2GIG (Plunger-2GIG) here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACNB59H9762). I had used a similar sensor with my Vera 3 and a DSC security panel and they worked very well. I am considering using them again for 4 door entry points but am unsure of the compatibility. Has anyone tried this particular sensor or have any feedback. I also see that there are standard 2Gig door/window sensors available that ARE compatible, but would prefer to use the Ion plungers for all four entry point doors, simply because they are more discrete. Any help would be appreciated.

@kartcon, looking at your link it doesn’t indicate that the sensor is z-wave unless one is to infer this from 2Gig association?

Yes, the assumption was to associate them the Vera Secure via the 2Gig VeraLink method. In another thread today, it was noted that most 2Gig devices would work with Vera Secure, but then went on to say ‘Only those specifically listed’ were guaranteed to work. The sensor I was interested is NOT Z-Wave, but is compatible with 2Gig alarm panels via the 345 Mhz frequency. I was hoping that these door sensors might be recognized by Vera Secure, and that was the question of the original post. Anybody tried this yet?

[font=verdana][size=2px]Hi there,[/size][/font]

Current list of compatible 345Mhz 2GIG devices is the following, and can be seen on any VeraSecure if you go to Devices->Add devices-> Search for 2gig
Make sure you have TXID id number on them to be able to be added to Vera. Otherwise they cannot be paired without this information.

2GIG Wireless Carbon Monoxide Alarm
2GIG-CO3-345

2GIG Thin Door/Window Contact
2GIG-DW10-345

2GIG Recessed Door Contact
2GIG-DW20R-345

2GIG Bypass Door Window Contact
2GIG-DW40-345

2GIG Glass Break Detector
2GIG-GB1-345

2GIG 4-Button Key Ring Remote
2GIG-KEY2-345

2GIG Panic Button Remote
2GIG-PANIC1-345

2GIG Passive Infrared Motion Detector
2GIG-PIR1-345

2GIG Wireless Smoke/Heat Alarm
2GIG-SMKT3-345

2GIG Tilt Sensor
2GIG-TILT1-345

@John M. thanxs for posting the compatible 2GIG devices. So for the technically challenged the 245Mhz devices are not Z-Wave but rather WiFi, or is it a proprietary communications?