(Video) How to setup and configure the ImperiHome app

Hi Everyone,

I made a couple of videos on how I recycled a couple of old cell phones to use as home automation control panels. I’m using the ImperiHome App and the videos are about how to set everything up. I split them into 3 parts because they cover different parts of using the app on a phone/tablet. I love the ImperiHome app and I hope these videos will help other people love it too.

Part 1: Setting up the ImperiHome App - Android Home Automation Control Panel Part 1: Setting up the ImperiHome App - YouTube
Part 2: Turn on/off screen using Tasker - Android Home Automation Control Panel Part 2: Turn on/off screen using Tasker - YouTube
Part 3: Install & Configure the ImperiHome Vera App - Android Home Automation Control Panel Part 3: Install & configure ImperiHome Vera App - YouTube

I have uploaded the Tasker project so you can import it into your phone/tablet and hopefully save some time creating all the tasks. NOTE: you must be logged in to download the file.

Pete

Great work!

Is there any benefit over Tasker versus the build in webcam motion support in ImperiHome?

Thanks tomtcom!

RoChess,
I wasn’t able to consistently get ImperiHome’s built in camera support to work for me. Tasker has been flawless. The one other thing I like is that when there is continuous motion the screen doesn’t turn off. With ImperiHome the screen would turn off after the specified time then turn right back on. It’s a little annoying if you are walking up to the screen and it turns off when you get there.

Any time Pete. I’m a tasker fan myself. I have noticed that after some time using the auto sequence of imperihome pages, the app will die. You’ll get a force close message. So if that happens nothing will work on it. Using tasker in my opinion could be more stable and also allow you to kill the task and restart it if tasker doesn’t see the app running.

So ideally, I would set up imperhiome with auto sequence like every 30 seconds and have tasker monitor that it is running and use the tasker control camera wake up.

However ultimately I think whatever works best on your device will be the deciding point.

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out! I haven’t had that happen yet but I will definitely keep that in mind if it does start to happen.

Yes, Tasker is awesome! I have started using it for all sorts of things and not just when I’m at home. One of the things I like is so simple but saves me time each day. I set my volume on my phone lower when I’m at work (using AutoLocation) and increase it when I leave. Great app!

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out! I haven’t had that happen yet but I will definitely keep that in mind if it does start to happen.

Yes, Tasker is awesome! I have started using it for all sorts of things and not just when I’m at home. One of the things I like is so simple but saves me time each day. I set my volume on my phone lower when I’m at work (using AutoLocation) and increase it when I leave. Great app![/quote]

This is quite an active thread however geared toward your phone. Just figured I’d share. I asked about home automation with autovera and so on but most on their are not sure. However guys like RuggedHunter are dam good at the phone stuff.

Hey Pete… thanks for this. i’m trying it not.

One thing to note, i have a tablet. so i’m not sure about a few steps.

1. how do i set the screen savor on the tablet (assuming of course i turn it off in Imperihome)? I assume it turn it off here as well, as it look like you have Tasker manage screen on/off?
  2. In Tasker, looking at your ScreenOn proj, i have the 3 options under tasks, But the Turn on Screen and the Turn Off Screen both have exclamation points next to them. No idea what this means?
    2.1 OK… i went it to each of these, and see that you can give admin rights for the screen on.
    2.2 The screen on requires the Secured Settings app, that i did not have installed. Nice that it directed me there.
  3. After going through both of these, the exclamation points are gone.
  4. I didn’t bother with autostart yet… but will add that next if necessary. i don’t have my tablets reboot every night.

And… my screen never turns off :slight_smile:

EDIT: HOLD PLEASE… It might be working. let me play with this a bit and report back. :smiley:

[quote=“tomgru, post:8, topic:186198”]Hey Pete… thanks for this. i’m trying it not.

One thing to note, i have a tablet. so i’m not sure about a few steps.

1. how do i set the screen savor on the tablet (assuming of course i turn it off in Imperihome)? I assume it turn it off here as well, as it look like you have Tasker manage screen on/off?
  2. In Tasker, looking at your ScreenOn proj, i have the 3 options under tasks, But the Turn on Screen and the Turn Off Screen both have exclamation points next to them. No idea what this means?
    2.1 OK… i went it to each of these, and see that you can give admin rights for the screen on.
    2.2 The screen on requires the Secured Settings app, that i did not have installed. Nice that it directed me there.
  3. After going through both of these, the exclamation points are gone.
  4. I didn’t bother with autostart yet… but will add that next if necessary. i don’t have my tablets reboot every night.

And… my screen never turns off :slight_smile:

EDIT: HOLD PLEASE… It might be working. let me play with this a bit and report back. :D[/quote]

this does appear to be working! that’s the good news… and THANKS for the detailed instructions

the bad news is, that at least on my Acer tablet, the backlight remains on… same as using the imperihome motion detector. So at night there is still a faint glow. enough that my wife won’t let me use it in the bedroom :frowning:

[quote=“tomtcom, post:7, topic:186198”]This is quite an active thread however geared toward your phone. Just figured I’d share. I asked about home automation with autovera and so on but most on their are not sure. However guys like RuggedHunter are dam good at the phone stuff.

@tomtcom Thanks for sharing. I’ll have to take a look. There are an unending amount of projects that can be done with this. So much fun!

@tomgru I am pretty sure that Tasker sends the command to completely turn off your screen. Could it be something with the tablet settings? Maybe it keeps the backlight on when it’s plugged in (I’m assuming you have it plugged in). Also, what happens if you turn off the screen by manually pressing the power button on the tablet? If that looks ok can you set your Android display/screen timeout settings to 2 minutes? Tasker should still be able to turn on your screen even if you have your tablet OS turn it off.

Good idea… but didn’t work… turned off Tablet. never came back on. i’ll try to go deep into the display settings more, but think it may just be my tablet. It is weird that it leaves the backlight on.

Dang, sorry, that sucks! So either the Secure Settings app isn’t doing it’s job or the tablet has some weird setting that causes things not to run when its screen is turned off. Maybe a low power mode?

Does the screen turn on/off (with the backlight still on) with the Tasker project? If so, then the secure settings app is probably working. What model is the Acer tablet?

Dang, sorry, that sucks! So either the Secure Settings app isn’t doing it’s job or the tablet has some weird setting that causes things not to run when its screen is turned off. Maybe a low power mode?

Does the screen turn on/off (with the backlight still on) with the Tasker project? If so, then the secure settings app is probably working. What model is the Acer tablet?[/quote]

the screen turns on/off perfectly with your setup, as well as the imperihome version as well. it’s just that the backlight remains on, so it glows a bit at night (distracting if in bedroom), as well as causes unneeded usage on the screen.

I have an Acer Iconia B1 7".

I wonder how i can go through the steps one by one and trouble shoot each is working…

[quote=“tomgru, post:13, topic:186198”]the screen turns on/off perfectly with your setup, as well as the imperihome version as well. it’s just that the backlight remains on, so it glows a bit at night (distracting if in bedroom), as well as causes unneeded usage on the screen.

I have an Acer Iconia B1 7".

I wonder how i can go through the steps one by one and trouble shoot each is working…[/quote]

You can test the Tasker on/off settings by going to the home screen of the tablet (not ImperiHome). If it turns on/off when there is motion that would let you know if the Tasker steps are working.

Pete (or anybody who knows)

You mentioned you have a “couple” of old cell phones you have re-tasked as touch panels. How many devices are you running on your vera set up? I am running one at the moment and I am looking at a stack of old android touchscreens. I would like to go to maybe TWO or THREE devices. I am going to test it but thought I would ask if you ran in to any issues with multiple devices run on the same vera. (U17 Edge.)

Thanks.

2x Acer 21.5" Android touchscreen AIO
1x Samsung S2
1x Samsung S3
1x Nexus 7 1st gen
1x Nexus 7-LTE 2nd gen
1x LG Pad 7-LTE

All running ImperiHome, but probably a max of 3 devices simultaneously.

What are you trying to do? Control the phones with the Vera app or just control vera with the app? I have two phones controlled by vera but 5 that can control vera.

What are you trying to do? Control the phones with the Vera app or just control vera with the app? I have two phones controlled by vera but 5 that can control vera.[/quote]

If I understand correctly, I am trying to do both.

If somebody triggers my outdoor motion sensor I have a scene in vera that wakes the phone and opens the corresponding page to the needed camera. I also have a “security” page that gets brought up showing what security device has been tripped.

In the area of “phone controlling vera” I have a page where I can arm and disarm my security system from the phone by executing scenes in vera.

So far, one phone. I was thinking of doing similar set ups in different parts of the house. Probably two more touchscreens. Weekend project…but to be honest ImperiHome is really easy so should only take a bit. My main concern was I would make U17 wonky/unstable by adding to many ImperiHome “devices.”

What are you trying to do? Control the phones with the Vera app or just control vera with the app? I have two phones controlled by vera but 5 that can control vera.[/quote]

If I understand correctly, I am trying to do both.

If somebody triggers my outdoor motion sensor I have a scene in vera that wakes the phone and opens the corresponding page to the needed camera. I also have a “security” page that gets brought up showing what security device has been tripped.

In the area of “phone controlling vera” I have a page where I can arm and disarm my security system from the phone by executing scenes in vera.

So far, one phone. I was thinking of doing similar set ups in different parts of the house. Probably two more touchscreens. Weekend project…but to be honest ImperiHome is really easy so should only take a bit. My main concern was I would make U17 wonky/unstable by adding to many ImperiHome “devices.”[/quote]

Ok, that makes sense. I guess can’t fully answer but I have 2 and everything seems to be working fine. I’m also still on UI5. Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

4 Touchscreens up and running. No meltdown yet…

3 old Droid 4’s positioned around house with a cheap 49 dollar android 7 inch touchscreen.

Have a nice outdoor motion sensor working within a scene to bring up the appropriate cameras when someone approaches the house. Very nice.

I will re-post if edge melts.