(Video) How to setup and configure the ImperiHome app

…added a rooted kindle to the mix. I don’t need 5 TS’s but more curious about the limits. Each TS is part of the same scene which pops up the appropriate cameras when sensing movement.

I will probably retire one of the droid’s since the kindle screen is bigger.

Nice! Thanks for the update.

I followed your instruction and was able to get motion detection to work. Screen turns on everytime. however, the screen off time out remains active even if you’re using the phone, so it would blink at the interval set and turn back on. How can we overcome this issue?

Sorry for the delayed reply. I was never notified of your post. I primarily intended this to be used on old phones that are dedicated as control panels. I don’t know if this will be good to use on a phone that you use for purposes other than this. It will probably drain your battery pretty fast.

I HAVE FOLLOWS STEP-BY-STEP PROCEDURES FROM YOUR VIDEOS HERE.

Part 1: Setting up the ImperiHome App - Android Home Automation Control Panel Part 1: Setting up the ImperiHome App - YouTube
Part 2: Turn on/off screen using Tasker - Android Home Automation Control Panel Part 2: Turn on/off screen using Tasker - YouTube
Part 3: Install & Configure the ImperiHome Vera App - Android Home Automation Control Panel Part 3: Install & configure ImperiHome Vera App - YouTube

I am still having trouble getting the tablet or phone to come on let alone turn off and start Imperihome app. Everything looks just as you did in videos, but mine does not perform as such. A ny clue as to what could be the problem. Thanks.

Hi,

I was wondering what you are using as the outdoor motion sensor as I am also looking for these.

Thanks,
Andy

[quote=“emknowledge, post:25, topic:186198”]I HAVE FOLLOWS STEP-BY-STEP PROCEDURES FROM YOUR VIDEOS HERE.

Part 1: Setting up the ImperiHome App - Android Home Automation Control Panel Part 1: Setting up the ImperiHome App - YouTube
Part 2: Turn on/off screen using Tasker - Android Home Automation Control Panel Part 2: Turn on/off screen using Tasker - YouTube
Part 3: Install & Configure the ImperiHome Vera App - Android Home Automation Control Panel Part 3: Install & configure ImperiHome Vera App - YouTube

I am still having trouble getting the tablet or phone to come on let alone turn off and start Imperihome app. Everything looks just as you did in videos, but mine does not perform as such. A ny clue as to what could be the problem. Thanks.[/quote]

Have you rooted your device. That may be necessary for some devices (not all of mine required it but one did).

[quote=“ando1, post:26, topic:186198”]Hi,

I was wondering what you are using as the outdoor motion sensor as I am also looking for these.

Thanks,
Andy[/quote]

Andy, I know you were asking Inzax but I use MySensors (Motion Sensor | MySensors - Create your own Connected Home Experience) for my outdoor motion sensor. Cost me about $5. It’s not waterproof but I have it under my porch and it has been working flawlessly for over a year.

@petewill:

Thanks! That looks really interesting and I am going to give it a try!

Andy

Hi,

Thanks,
Andy[/quote]

Hey Andy. My wireless motion sensor runs through my security panel (concord 4). It is not a zwave device however, since vera interfaces with my security panel there is no difference I can tell on its functionality. The motion sensor I have is an old GE model. I tried to find the exact make however, it is not sold anymore. It is big, old and probably not what you need. It actually works with a door sensor placed inside the module.

Right now, there are much better options that are smaller and work exactly the same directly through the vera module. If you really want to know the make I can probably find it online. The closest I could find based on pictures is a DSC outdoor module. Mine looks close to this. http://www.homesecuritystore.com/dsc-lc-171?

@ando1

Great! It’s a lot of fun! If you’re new to Arduino make sure you check out the MySensors site for more info. You will need a gateway to interface with the Vera. If you are on UI7 I would recommend the Ethernet gateway. It’s a little more complex to build but it is easier to configure in Vera. If you get stuck there are lots of helpful people on the mysensors forum.

[quote=“petewill, post:1, topic:186198”]Hi Everyone,

I made a couple of videos on how I recycled a couple of old cell phones to use as home automation control panels. I’m using the ImperiHome App and the videos are about how to set everything up. I split them into 3 parts because they cover different parts of using the app on a phone/tablet. I love the ImperiHome app and I hope these videos will help other people love it too.

I have uploaded the Tasker project so you can import it into your phone/tablet and hopefully save some time creating all the tasks.

Pete[/quote]

Hello Pete

Thanks for your post.
I have followed your guide and got Motion Detector working (i can hear sounds).
I have imported the xml into tasker but nothing happen. If I click play on the scene it turn the screen off and therefore I assume it works but nothing happen automatically… can you help me on this?
thanks

I’m getting the same behavior as giove7223. I have all the pieces installed and configured and I hear an sound when the motion detector trips. But the screen doesn’t automatically turn on. If I manually play the “screen off” Tasker piece it does turn the screen off.

I’m using an Amazon Fire tablet running the latest code (5.1.1 I think).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig

[quote=“CraigO, post:33, topic:186198”]I’m getting the same behavior as giove7223. I have all the pieces installed and configured and I hear an sound when the motion detector trips. But the screen doesn’t automatically turn on. If I manually play the “screen off” Tasker piece it does turn the screen off.

I’m using an Amazon Fire tablet running the latest code (5.1.1 I think).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig[/quote]

Update: Action Variable has changed. It should be org.motion.detector.ACTION_GLOBAL_BROADCAST

Hey Pete, thanks for posting all this helpful info!

I made one tweak to your Tasker project in order to keep the screen from timing out if a user walks up to an already-lit screen and is standing there when the timer expires. (I saw some comments about this - might have been here or on Youtube, don’t recall).

I cut the “variable set %Count to 0” action item out of the beginning of the Timer task and pasted it into the Turn On Screen task between the End If and the Perform Task Timer line. Like this:

if %ScreenOn eq False Variable Set %ScreenOn to True Secure Settings configuration Screen Bright Manual - On End If Variable Set %Count to 0 Perform Task name Timer

This way whenever motion is sensed, it turns on the screen (if not already on), then resets the timer. The display times out 30 sec after the last motion sensing event but it shouldn’t time out in front of any users.

I also changed the Motion Detector “suspend” setting to 5. I don’t know how well my ancient tablet would have dealt with a notification every 2 sec.

Side note: I’m doing this on a Samsung P4wifi with AOSP Nougat on it - which IS compatible with the Imperihome native camera wakeup feature. Problem is, I really wanted to hide the bottom navbar (immersive mode) and I ran into issues with the screen backlight staying on if I managed the wakeup/timeout in Imperihome with the navbar hidden. Tried multiple immersive mode apps with the same result. Managing the screen wakeup/timeout your way let me keep both features. Thanks!

Thanks for posting this James! Like you said, multiple people have asked for this feature. Great job.

Sorry if I’m being stupid, I can find the file you said you uploaded, how do I find this?

TIA

did you have the file now ?

The file must not have been included when they moved to the new forum. They would not let me upload a xml file so I zipped it. Also, it’s still accessible from here (as long as you’re logged in). http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=31007.0

Screen_On.prj.zip (1.2 KB)