WAN Access Not Working - I think I've Tried EVERY Possible Combo

Just replaced my old Vera 2 unit with a Vera Edge Unit. Vera Edge is happy and can access everything from the home.getvera.com website after I created a new account for Ui7.

Next Step - Reconfigured my Homewave 2.2 app on my iPhone and tested on the LAN. Again… no problem everything works fine there.

Next Step - Test access from WAN - BANG… hit the wall. I think I’ve tried every possible combination of the relevant settings, but when I turn off Wi-Fi on my phone, or leave the house, I cannot connect to Vera with Homewave. Of course, I verified that my phone has Internet access; in fact, I can login to home.getvera.com with a browser from my phone, but cannot establish a connection with Homewave on my iPhone.

Here are the settings I have currently on the “Vera” page in the Homewave app, along with other options I’ve tried. I would be most appreciative if someone would review the settings I have listed and let me know where I have gone wrong. This is very humbling for me since I am usually the guy who helps other people fix their issues… but I’m stumped. I am leaving on vacation in a couple of days and I’m getting a little frantic that I won’t have the remote connectivity that I have come to enjoy for years.

[ul][li]Vera IP address: 192.168.5.19 (also tried leaving it blank)
Vera Device ID: 35014xxx (also tried leaving it blank)
Mios username: (entered the username that I use on getvera.com)
Mios password: (entered the password that I use on getvera.com)
Name: (entered the name of my Vera controller, also tried leaving it blank)
URL: https://home.getvera.com (also tried http://home.getvera.com, also tried a DDNS name port forwarded to my Vera IP)
Direct to Vera: tried both on and off
Ignore Mios IP setting: tried both on and off
UI5 Firmware: Off[/li]
[li][/li][/ul]

Thanks for your input and ideas to fix this. If I’ve omitted any information required to figure this out, just let me know. Because this is a ‘time sensitive’ issue for me, I’ll be glued to the screen waiting for any ideas that are offered to help resolve this.

Thanks,
Howard

Go to Settings > Net&Wifi, change to Manual to enable to to check the firewall settings.

Brientim,

I’ve attached my net & wi-fi setting. I tried both with the firewall enabled and disabled – no change. The other network addressing looks ok.

Also, could you confirm the settings I should have in the Homewave app?

Interestingly (and frustratingly) the Vera mobile app works on the WAN so that sort of confirms that the network path is available.

Howard

Please enable logging (Settings->General->Enable Logging), try and connect remotely (clicking the cloud/wifi icon on the status bar will trigger a reconnect), and when the connection fails, go to Settings->General->Mail logfile to support. I’ll take a look

The correct settings for remote access through Getvera in HomeWave are:
Vera IP: local IP address
Device ID: leave at the value that’s automatically filled in
Mios Username / Password: your credentials for Getvera.com
Name: can be anything (this is just a cosmetic label)
URL: leave blank
Direct to Vera: Off
Ignore Mios IP: Off
UI5: Off

There’s been a few other reports of people having trouble with remote access, but I’ve not been able to reproduce or fix the issue. What helped in one instance was changing the password to something simple (i.e. letters and numbers without funny characters in it). Perhaps you can try that. There might be a bug in the routine that encodes the password for transmission.

[quote=“intveltr, post:4, topic:190841”]Please enable logging (Settings->General->Enable Logging), try and connect remotely (clicking the cloud/wifi icon on the status bar will trigger a reconnect), and when the connection fails, go to Settings->General->Mail logfile to support. I’ll take a look

The correct settings for remote access through Getvera in HomeWave are:
Vera IP: local IP address
Device ID: leave at the value that’s automatically filled in
Mios Username / Password: your credentials for Getvera.com
Name: can be anything (this is just a cosmetic label)
URL: leave blank
Direct to Vera: Off
Ignore Mios IP: Off
UI5: Off

There’s been a few other reports of people having trouble with remote access, but I’ve not been able to reproduce or fix the issue. What helped in one instance was changing the password to something simple (i.e. letters and numbers without funny characters in it). Perhaps you can try that. There might be a bug in the routine that encodes the password for transmission.[/quote]

Thanks for your response. I was able to re-established connection and control over the WAN, but at a high price. After having tried every option I could think of, I decided that I would reset the configuration to ‘factory fresh’ (after saving my configuration file) and then I was able to connect via the WAN. I added a couple of controls and they also could be executed over the WAN.

I decided to restore my configuration from the file I sent to dropbox (nice integration there, by the way) and I was immediately back in the condition previously despite the fact that I used exactly the same remote access configuration parameters that were working just moments ago. I did a “reset” again; and again restored the WAN connection.

So based on this test, clearly there is ‘something’ in my saved configuration, that worked fine in UI5 that is creating a WAN connection issue with UI7. My assumption was that the configuration files contained only the user configurable controls, otherwise I would have tried the reset many, many hours ago. Obviously I would prefer to have my old configuration working in UI7 so I don’t need to rebuild from scratch, so if this description of the issue is informative to you, maybe you know a way to do that?

I would be happy to send you the configuration file that worked under UI5 but not with UI7 (Vera Edge) or anything else you would like to examine.

FYI, in my case, my password is quite simple; upper-case, lower-case, a number and an exclamation point.

Howard

I little more information for diagnostic purposes: At some point in my attempt to resolve this issue, I remembered that my old Vera 2 unit was still plugged in and connected to my LAN. I unplugged the old unit so only the Vera Edge unit was on the LAN. Despite that, after I reset the Homewave app, both the Vera 2 and the Vera Edge units showed up in the list of Vera units so clearly there were still some artifacts of the old unit in the configuration file somewhere. Not sure if this contributed to the ‘confusion’ when attempting a WAN connection.

intveltr,

I forwarded the logs yesterday. Were you able to determine the issue? As I mentioned, I can not get connected with my saved configuration from my Vera 2 so I’d like to know if I will have to rebuild from scratch or if you will be able to find a ‘fix’ that will let me use it with Ui7.

Thanks,
Howard

The 2 log files show something interesting. Looks like the app doesn’t respond appropriately to attempt to connect to your Vera via their gateway server, after Getvera has moved you to a different gateway server (this happens sometimes). It’s a nasty bug and may be the cause of the intermittent connection issues that a few people have reported; if that’s the case I’ll be really happy.

I’m not sure how best to clear this condition. What you can try:

• Open Settings->Vera and turn the UI5 Switch to ON
  • Close settings, let the app try and connect, then close the app
  • Kill the app (double click the home button)
  • Open the app again, go to Settings->Vera, and set the UI5 Switch to Off again
  • Close Settings, and see if the app now connects on WAN.

Another thing you can try to clear the cached connection settings:

• Open Settings->Vera
  • Clear the Device ID field
  • Close settings and let the app connect on your LAN
  • Open Settings->Vera again and verify that the correct Device ID is filled in
  • Attempt to connect on WAN

Just to close out this topic with the results in case someone else is similarly afflicted… the steps below allowed me to establish a WAN connection after I switched to a new Vera device:

• Open Settings->Vera and turn the UI5 Switch to ON
  • Close settings, let the app try and connect, then close the app
  • Kill the app (double click the home button)
  • Open the app again, go to Settings->Vera, and set the UI5 Switch to Off again
  • Close Settings, and see if the app now connects on WAN.

This probably only applies to a small group of people, but after struggling with the issue for quite a while, I was happy to be able to use my existing Homewave configuration on my iPhone after swiching from Vera 2 to Vera Edge.

Hello,

I have tried everything in this thread and still have the remote access issue. For every time this occurs, I find that completely deleting the app and reinstalling/reloading the configuration will rectify the issue for about a day. Then, I will loose remote connection again. Is there anything else I can try?

Happy to give someone a look at the log files if they think it will help.

Cheers.

Please mail me the log files and I’ll take a look!

I’m also having issues connecting remotely. Vera Edge running UI7.

It has worked when I first set it up, but hasn’t for a while. I’ve tried the switch to UI5 and off again posted above. I’m about to turning on the logfile.

I’ve just emailed you my log file after attempting two WAN connections by tapping the cloud icon in the top right corner :slight_smile:

I’ve tried everything. Maybe the AuthA1,2 and AuthD1,2 servers have changed. I use https://vera-us-autha11.mios.com and https://vera-us-authd11.mios.com (for the authA2 and authD2 it is autha12 etc). Are these still correct? How to find out which ones to use?

Just removed and re?ntered the mios auth server settings and now it connected but only once. Next attempt there was no connection. Is there maybe somekind of timeout for the app when not able to connect to the auth server? And not trying to reconnect?

Servers used:

https://vera-us-oem-autha11.mios.com
https://vera-us-oem-autha12.mios.com
https://vera-us-oem-authd11.mios.com
https://vera-us-oem-authd12.mios.com

I’m not sure what is going on, the logs are inconclusive so far. You can try upping the network timeouts in Settings. I’m still looking into this but I can’t reproduce the issue.

WAN access has definitely dived since the recent GetVera portal upgrade (or v2.4?)

Via Homewave, it’s very painful. I have 2 Vera’s and connections to both are flaky an often time out, connection time for one of them is more than 30 seconds now.

If I open a VPN on my iPhone to home, it works beautifully - like it used to, so it’s not a local or mobile network performance snafu.

[quote=“BlueSmurf, post:18, topic:190841”]WAN access has definitely dived since the recent GetVera portal upgrade (or v2.4?)

Via Homewave, it’s very painful. I have 2 Vera’s and connections to both are flaky an often time out, connection time for one of them is more than 30 seconds now.

If I open a VPN on my iPhone to home, it works beautifully - like it used to, so it’s not a local or mobile network performance snafu.[/quote]

I have observed this too. It is actually not just Homewave. If you log in on the UI web interface and go through the Vera server, the UI is also much slower than it used to be and than it is when connected locally. VPN is the way to go.

I had the same problem after recently upgrading my Vera3.

The problem was in password (I had “+” in it - maybe that was the issue) which after resting and changing (no “+” in it) fixed the remote access.