What's your Vera talking to today?

I have a putty session to my firewall in the corner of my monitor where I can watch “what’s connected to what”.
I drop all in coming traffic.
So here’s a list of (last few minutes anyway) what my Veras are talking to today.

Vera Plus
mios.eemanager.net
li554-112.members.linode.com
nu.binary.net
b1-66er.matrix.gs
y.ns.gin.ntt.net

Vera lite
cms1.mios.com
time.gac.edu
li466-186.members.linode.com

Clearly you do not understand how businesses work today …

They do not own their own cloud servers … they outsource them … multiple copies in different regions.
You are seeing the companies that HOST cloud services.

mios.eemanager.net
li554-112.members.linode.com

These are cloud servers for home.getvera.com and cp.mios.com that I can confirm. I’m not familiar with the others.
Based on mios.eemanager.net I’m guessing you have a UI5 Vera.

yes I know linenode and mios.e*** are “vera” related “hosts”
I just find the other random addresses interesting…

I know for my CO’s web servers, ALL our servers, and even “cloud” hosts, resolve to our domain.

the plus just connected to this one
ha81.smatwebdesign.com which is another linenode host

another good one
us-ny.ntp.dark-net.io just some random NTP server

here’s a perfect example of why you should have dedicated ip addresses for your web hosting.

my plus has contacted pacific.latt.net which = 204.2.134.163

204.2.134.163 was found in the abuse database!

so it appears the vera “cloud” data and hackers/spammers share the same host and ip @ NTT America Inc.

maybe these http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,50184.0.html unwanted plugins are what’s talking to the “odd” “cloud” hosts… :wink:

And what are you going to do when a Hacker uses a google server ?

Yes, you are right. Nowadays, people avoid taking the headache of managing their cloud server on their own as it could result in a very costly and requires a high level of expertise and that’s why people go for the outsource of their cloud servers as their are companies like Cloudways which provide the managed hosting of the famous hosts as the likes of Google’s GCE Cloud, or Amazon’s AWS which is really a cost effective option of availing cloud services.