which controller

Hey gang, new member. I have had openHab on the backburner as a project to do when I found the time to dive in, but not sure when that will be. So I since came across Vera and it seems to address my biggest concern regarding home automation: no requirement for an external cloud. So I am pretty stoked to get started, but wouldn’t mind an honest opinion about the “real” advantages of the Secure hub over the Plus. For the most part they appear to be h/w related, but the Secure is listed as be able to communicate with upto 2k devices as opposed to the Plus’s ability to comm with upto 1500.

Are the additional 500 devices available to the Secure newer devs the Plus cannot comm with? And is there a handy list detailing these additional 500 devs to make my decision easier between which controller to go with?

And what’s with the test to post a question? I keep getting one question here wrong and it’s getting a little annoying.

With the current “state” of Vera with a new parent company and with the history of issues it’s a hard decision and difficult to recommend a Vera system at this stage of the game. There’s a lot of hope the new company will make a lot of changes and bring Vera back to life. But that’s going to take time.

^^^
The additional devices most probably are Sub G. This is very dependant on what part of the world you are located.
Presently to my knowledge there are no 433mHz devices that are supported by the Secure, you are bound by the 2GIG devices that are only available in the US.

To many of us it’s a wait and see with fingers crossed.

[quote=“naphelge, post:1, topic:200008”]snip

but the Secure is listed as be able to communicate with upto 2k devices as opposed to the Plus’s ability to comm with upto 1500.

Are the additional 500 devices available to the Secure newer devs the Plus cannot comm with? And is there a handy list detailing these additional 500 devs to make my decision easier between which controller to go with?

And what’s with the test to post a question? I keep getting one question here wrong and it’s getting a little annoying.[/quote]

I think you have read the specificiation incorrectly, Vera cannot communicate with 2000 devices it’s limit is 254 (IIRC) and then it would hemorage with the current FW.

The difference is mere marketing vapor ware. From what I read from the OEM listing, the only 3 differences between the two are the battery, NAND storage size and the additional 433MHz radio.

And the amount of storage memory (the part where user configuration and plugin files are stored) available, which Secure has LESS than Plus.
Therefore if you don’t need Zigbee or 433mHz, then you may choose Edge, which will perform similarly, but has most storage space from all three models.

Or you might wait what will happen in coming months as we expect some (big?) changes.

Might I recommend a Vera Edge and a dedicated alarm system networked with the Vera. This gives you the best of both worlds for about the same money, especially if you are not certain you are going to stick with it.
Once the alarm is programmed and set up it is literally set it and forget it. Then you can see the entire alarm system with your Vera and automate it to your liking with Vera’s geofencing to auto arm and disarm.
It really is the way to go in my opinion.