Which roller blind is best?

Hi,

Looking to buy possibly 8 roller blinds for the house. Very interested in battery operated as not interested in wiring and have found Lutron supplies them. Seemed a little pricey though. $600 for one large one. Also not sure how it integrates with Vera.

What do you recommend these days and is a separate controller needed to integrate with z-wave networks?

Somfy have some Z-Wave integration for their blinds, they also do battery operated motors.

https://www.somfysystems.com/en-us/discover-somfy/power-technology/z-wave

Haven’t used it myself. I just used a dumb 240v roller blind motor and a Fibaro Roller Shutter module.

Required some mains wiring however, so not battery operated.

1 Like

I am automating some screens on my pergola and have looked at various battery operated rollers. Have tested the ERB25 as well as the AOK25. Both are 433Mhz controlled. This works very well for my DOOYA curtains, through a RFXtrx433E, but I have trouble finding the right setting for these ERB and/or AOK rollers…

Any advice, anyone ?

we use somfy and have a mix of roller blinds and venitian. All operate on battery wands as we did not want to wire. Easily controlled via vera so great in scenes. They were not that expensive either, under ÂŁ200 each and some of them are quite large.

I have 220 motors attached to Fibaro Roller Shutters 1/2/3 all over the house, both for indoor and outdoor blinds/awnings/sunscreens. Such motors usually are cheaper thant a Zwave device.

@mzpost did you get them fully assembled with fabric cut to size? If yes, can you point me where?

@therealdb do you mean 220 volt wired?

Yes. I got the 3 in my home office from China, cut to size, for about 500 Eur, motor included.

Be sure to watch this HA expert’s video on various brands and types of roller shades, including a DIY “roll your own” variety: Motorized Roller Shades? IKEA Fyrtur vs Zemismart Solar/Battery vs DIY! - YouTube

I got a quote from Somfy today for roller shades.

ROOM H x W x D in inches

1. Family 78.5 x 79.5 x 3.75
  2. Kitchen Sink 38.5 x 36.5 x 3.75
  3. Kitchen Bay Center 54.5 x 34.25 x 3.75
  4. Kitchen Bay Left 54.5 x 16.5 x 3.75
  5. Kitchen Bay Right 54.5 x 16.5 x 3.75
  6. Dining 56.5 x 70.5 x 3.75
  7. Living Bay Center 56.5 x 70.5 x 3.75
  8. Living Bay Right 56.5 x 16.5 x 3.75
  9. Living Bay Left 56.5 x 16.5 x 3.75

$6076 CAD + tax. Average price $675/window.

Eeek!!! Not happening.

Has anyone used Fibaro 3 with battery powered motors? Is this possible?

Don’t think so? Unless the Fibaro Roller Shutter 3 now supports DC motors?

My Fibaro Roller shutters are version 2 and they only do AC mains power.

As far as I know the Qubino flush shutter is the only Z-Wave module on the market that can control DC voltage motors.

Looks like a NO.

“FIBARO Roller Shutter 3 is a device designed to control roller blinds, awnings, venetian blinds, gates and other single phase, AC powered devices”

https://qubino.com/products/flush-shutter-dc/

If you want decent DIY motorised roller blinds look on Aliexpress. Dooya is a China motor manufacturer part owned by Somfy I believe.

Somfy is a French company and a world leader in motorissd window coverings.

All my motors are Dooya had some for years.

And use either mains powered Fibaro Roller shutter modules or for DC motors use the Qubino DC shutter module.

Unless there is a US frequency DC shutter module I don’t know about? as I am in the EU region.

1 Like

Yes and I had that installed as well as a finished product (each came with the remote, however we dont use those as there are better options).

Are you in the UK ?

No I’m in Canada.

I got mine in the openspace with a local retailer and that was the price for non-smart blinds, but I’m OK since I rarely open them. I have two sun awnings for the panoramic window and they costed me about 500 Eur each, motor included, here in Italy. As I said, I bought the ones in my home office from Aliexpress for 500 Eur + 150 of duty fees. I was quoted 3x from my local retailer for the same configuration, and this makes sense, since they have to source them from a distributor, that source them in China :slight_smile: So, if you’re OK with DIY and some risk, this is definitely the way to go.

Does anyone know a Qubino Flush Shutter equivalent that would work with battery operated blinds…or any reason why the Qubino Flush Shutter wouldn’t work with a battery blind?

Really don’t want to hardwire anything. Not interested in having wires hanging and too much trouble to go through framing.

The AOK motors are $80-90 here in the US (AM25 or AM28). Together with the required h/w, the 11ft (!) tubes and the screens, mine come to around $200 per “window”…