Which roller blind is best?

I can’t say for sure, possibly not now I think about it more. As it’s the Qubino DC shutter module that provides the power + or - to the motor.

The Qubino DC shutter module supports DC motors between 12v and 24v.

Dont use RF 433mhz motors however. A friend of mine tried to use a Qubino DC shutter with a DC powered motor that had an inbullt RF reciever and remote control handset etc and the Qubino could not control the motor as nothing happened when trying to operate the motor via a switch he had wired in to the Qubino module or via Z-Wave.

As the motor was still expecting an RF command signal from its own remote control.

You need a dumb / standard DC motor that doesn’t have its own RF controller in built.

You might as well just use standard DC powered motors that don’t have battery. Because you will have to do some wiring anyway for the Qubino module that needs DC power and it then provides the switched power to the motor for it to operate.

Thanks I hadn’t heard of Aok yet. Will look Into them. Did you need to add anything additional to your system to make them zwave compatible?

Thanks. Yes I saw this drawing too. I would want to build it without the switch if possible.

My wife wants the blinds ASAP so I’m leaning towards buying normal blinds then retrofitting motors later. Hope this plan doesn’t kill my my automation dreams.

You can use the Qubino DC shutter module without a wall switch. Just control it via Z-Wave.

You just need to make sure that the diameter of the roller blind tubes will later fit a DC tubular motor.

Is there a standard or is every motor different?

I use a VERA light as my home automation system (and have quite a few switches, lights, thermostat, waterheater and other devices on it through Zwave. My curtains (Dooya motors) required a RFXcom converter. This works very well since a number of years. However, the plugin does not appear to support the AOK AM25/28 blind motors (yet). So I ordered another converter which appears to “learn” the 433Mhz codes. See https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Itead-SONOFF-RF-Bridge-433Mhz-Wifi-Wireless-Signal-Converter-PIR2-Motion-Sensor-DW1-Door-Window-Alarm/4000468721303.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.659d4c4dKJLbXL

My project (11ft wide bugscreens) requires a 2" tube to avoid sagging. However, I am use 1.5" to 2" adapters in order to use the 1.5" motors…

Not sure to be honest, I have only ever used AC mains voltage Dooya tubular motors myself, think my tubes were 50mm diameter.

I’d recommend this motor probably.

Dooya DM25DS its a standard motor either 12V or 24V and says the tube diameter is 25mm

Or presumably for bigger heavier blinds they have this one

Dooya DM35DS that motor is 12V only and a 35mm diameter tube

or this one

Dooya DM45DS again 12V only and a 45mm diameter tube.

Have a look on Aliexpress that is where I bought my Dooya AC motors from.

Avoid RF motors they are not as good as using a Standard motor and a Z-Wave shutter module.

Presumably you have no feeback in Vera as if the blinds are actually opened or closed ?

Some of the tubes I have seen for various tubular motors, some of them have different profiles with notches or grooves inside the tube.

Looks like mine was just a smooth round tube inside for my AC Dooya motor.

Thanks. The Somfy r28 motors need a 1.5 inch tube. (3.81 cm).

Dooya are decent motors and part owned by Somfy I believe. Somfy is a French company, Dooya a Chinese company. They are all probably made in the same factory anyway.

This Somfy motor here ? Says its Obsolete.

If you are going with Somfy motors I’d recommend using their own Somfy Z-Wave options for integration.

Good catch!

I contacted Somfy and they put me in touch with a dealer in the area. The r28 is what they quoted.

So found out the r28 is discontinued but they still have stock they are selling off. I’m going ahead with buying normal blinds and will retrofit.

They have two sizes. 1.5” and 1.75” but they have tabs on the inside so hopefully I can mod any motors I get to fit.

I’ll keep this thread posted as I work through this project. Delivery is expected in 1 month.

Here is the quote in Canadian Dollars from Somfy for motors/batteries and bridge only. Not sure I’m going with this yet. Still too pricy imho.

@paulspeek How did you integrate AOK to vera?

Been talking with Somfy and they initially suggested rts to zwave bridge called a ZRTSI but later found out it will only control open, closed or favorite but no option to control to a specific location. They have another zwave module called ZDMI - Z-Wave® to Digital Motor Interface Part #1870171…but Somfy rep says it has the same limitation.

Do any of the suggestions above allow specific control of the blinds, as in anywhere from 0-100% open?

My Fibaro Roller Shutter modules can be set to any position between 0% to 100%.

I haven’t used a Qubino Roller shutter module yet but I expect they will work the same.