Which Weather Station works best with the Vera

I’m looking for a weather station for my 2nd home. I don’t have a computer system at the cabin so I need something that will communicate directly with the Vera. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks!!

I would suggest you have a look at rfxcom.com and there device offers compatibility with a number of weather stations.

I use the Oregon sensors with RFXcom, the problem, each time you change the battery, you loose the ID of the device in Vera. So you have to change the device ID in all the Luup scripts which is affected :frowning:

No, You just need to update the altid of the device - The TS/ORExx etc (HS/ORExx). Set autocreate to Off before the battery change and Grep the log to find the the “new/unused” id after the change. That way you keep the Device ID.

I’m planning on getting one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370678940029?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

and either writing a plug-in for it or interfacing it via a Raspberry Pi.

I was looking at picking up a weather station as well. I was looking at the Davis Weather Stations. Pricey, but I hear you get what you pay for compared to say Oregon or a few others. I am thinking of hooking it up to a raspberry pi and report the data to weather underground. Then use the weather underground plugin for data.

What are others using and how is it working out for you?

• Garrett

Garret,

I have had the Oregon WRM200 for years now. It works fine but the plastic is cheap quality and started to degrade and become brittle very quickly. When I lived in the North Queensland (tropics) the outdoor sensor would report high and that was the biggest problem. Their UV sensor is not reliable and fails very quickly.

The other indoor sensors, I have around the house work well and are now used inconjunction with RFXtrx plugin report very well and accurately.

When I finally replace it it will be a Dallas system

I’ve got a Davis Vantage Pro. It’s rock-solid. Its worst weather sin is that it under-reports humidity close to 100%.

An always-on Linux server uploads the data to Weather Underground. From there, anything can access the data, including Vera.

Thanks futzle for the post. I saw a few older threads that you posted in including the link to hack the davis. I was going to spend the money on the usb interface until I saw the post on creating your own using a 3.3v ftdi to usb board. It now makes the Davis even more tempting! Would like to interface it with a raspberry pi. Do you use Linux software to interface to the Davis? Have any suggestions? I would like to work on adding more features to the weather underground plugin. I’ll have to talk with guessed on that.

• Garrett

I use wview, though I’ve been tempted to switch to Weewx because it seems to have a more friendly community. wview is native C. Weewx is Python.

Thanks for the info. I’ll check them out. I was looking into wview, but will check out the other as it should be easier to run with out any platform dependencies.

• Garrett

Just placed an order for the Davis Vantage Vue. I was going to order the Vantage Pro2, but did not have the need to locate the anemometer in another location (Limited to where I can mount the weather station due to home association). I am not to keen on the Vue’s console, but I can always add the Vantage Pro2 console later on down the road. My main goal is to log and broadcast the weather information online. I placed an order for a ftdi usb module to make a cheap data connection to connect to the console and my raspberry pi. I will most likely install weewx on the pi and upload the data to weather underground. Now just looking forward to getting the weather underground plugin to display more data on Vera.

• Garrett

Mine is homebrew based on 1-wire sensors and One Wire Weather “OWW” running on a Linux box. I plan to move this to a Raspberry Pi in the future.

I have PERL scripts that parse forecast information from http://forecast.weather.gov and combine that with information from local sensors and write to a JSON file containing the data of interest.

On the Vera side, I have modified Guessed’s wonderful Underground Weather plugin to read my weather JSON file. This way I get very localized weather plus the forecast. Plus it is easy to add more parameters that I might be interested in such as the outside light level.

Chris

[quote=“garrettwp, post:12, topic:173225”]Just placed an order for the Davis Vantage Vue. I was going to order the Vantage Pro2, but did not have the need to locate the anemometer in another location (Limited to where I can mount the weather station due to home association). I am not to keen on the Vue’s console, but I can always add the Vantage Pro2 console later on down the road.

• Garrett[/quote]

Very Good choice, I have the Vantage Vue station with the Vantage vue pro 2 console. It was pricey but my company got a really good deal when we purchased 12 of these setups, So I had to go with it, very accurate and has been going strong now for over 8 months, Im not sure about the humidity being off as someone else suggested, but here in FL the humidity is always very high, so that part seems accurate to me. I do believe the internal temperature is not reading properly but that could just be my location of console right above desktop. not once has it lost connection other than my firewall blocking it from reporting for about a month on Wunderground. you wont be disappointed with it at all. my connection to wunderground is via the weatherlink software for windows, So I have my desktop poll the weather station and send the data on up to wunderground

My question for you is how do I pull that data from my particular station into my vera lite. I am running the Wunderground plug in on vera and its showing data that looks accurate but I dont think its the data from my weather station, So how do I get my weather station to report to my vera. My station ID on wunderground is KFLJACKS113. there are pics of my station on my page (think its safe to post that info here??) I could be wrong in saying the vera is not getting the particular data from my station, I just dont really understand how the API works fully.

[quote=“jamminred, post:14, topic:173225”][quote=“garrettwp, post:12, topic:173225”]Just placed an order for the Davis Vantage Vue. I was going to order the Vantage Pro2, but did not have the need to locate the anemometer in another location (Limited to where I can mount the weather station due to home association). I am not to keen on the Vue’s console, but I can always add the Vantage Pro2 console later on down the road.

• Garrett[/quote]

Very Good choice, I have the Vantage Vue station with the Vantage vue pro 2 console. It was pricey but my company got a really good deal when we purchased 12 of these setups, So I had to go with it, very accurate and has been going strong now for over 8 months, Im not sure about the humidity being off as someone else suggested, but here in FL the humidity is always very high, so that part seems accurate to me. I do believe the internal temperature is not reading properly but that could just be my location of console right above desktop. not once has it lost connection other than my firewall blocking it from reporting for about a month on Wunderground. you wont be disappointed with it at all. my connection to wunderground is via the weatherlink software for windows, So I have my desktop poll the weather station and send the data on up to wunderground

My question for you is how do I pull that data from my particular station into my vera lite. I am running the Wunderground plug in on vera and its showing data that looks accurate but I dont think its the data from my weather station, So how do I get my weather station to report to my vera. My station ID on wunderground is KFLJACKS113. there are pics of my station on my page (think its safe to post that info here??) I could be wrong in saying the vera is not getting the particular data from my station, I just dont really understand how the API works fully.[/quote]

I am looking forward to setting it up when it arrives. As for your question, under the world weather device, on the settings tab, you’ll want to enter pws:KFLJACKS113 into the location field. Then click on the set button and then the red save button to have it update to use your weather station.

• Garrett

Thanks Garretwp. worked perfectly!! :slight_smile:

No, You just need to update the altid of the device - The TS/ORExx etc (HS/ORExx). Set autocreate to Off before the battery change and Grep the log to find the the “new/unused” id after the change. That way you keep the Device ID.[/quote]
Thanks hhg, works fine!

Would the RFXcom work with

http://www.ventusdesign.com/uploads/tx_hmrventus/manual_W155-english_01.pdf

Its says in the specs its RF434, the RFX transceiver works on 433.92 http://www.rfxcom.com/store/Receivers/12103

Thanks

Rob

[quote=“garrettwp, post:12, topic:173225”]Just placed an order for the Davis Vantage Vue. I was going to order the Vantage Pro2, but did not have the need to locate the anemometer in another location (Limited to where I can mount the weather station due to home association). I am not to keen on the Vue’s console, but I can always add the Vantage Pro2 console later on down the road. My main goal is to log and broadcast the weather information online. I placed an order for a ftdi usb module to make a cheap data connection to connect to the console and my raspberry pi. I will most likely install weewx on the pi and upload the data to weather underground. Now just looking forward to getting the weather underground plugin to display more data on Vera.

• Garrett[/quote]

Garrett –

I see (from an old post) you have a Davis Vantage Vue. Have you found a way to interface the data so that is can be seen through Vera?

Don

As stated in this thread, the easiest way for Vera to access the data is via Weather Underground and the WU plugin. Otherwise, you’ll need to write your own LUA code to retrieve, parse and display the data. This would be non-trivial.

I used this method for a XBee wireless serial interface between the console and a PC based weather station, Wview on Linux. The weather station uploads to Weather Underground and from there Vera can grab the data via the Weather Underground plugin.

It seems Rube Goldberg-ish, but it is mostly off the shelf stuff and the cost is low.