Wont run on Ubuntu without "Service"

So I followed the directions for the Ubuntu install and I’m having issues.
I stood up a fresh installation of Ubuntu Server on a VM specifically to test out Concierge prior to purchasing a Raspberry Pi.

I am a Linux novice, and know the basics but I am no expert by any stretch in this OS.

I put the .jar file in “/opt/vera/”.
When I run “Java -jar ConciergeServer.jar” it looks like it just extracts the .jar into the directory. The web page does not run.
Now when I run “Java -jar ConciergeServer.jar Service” everything runs as expected, and I was able to execute voice commands from my phone as desired. However, I don’t want to have reinitialize VC every time this device is powered off/rebooted.
I would like it to run at startup as designed.

Do i need to actually run the installer “install.sh” that pops into the directory after running the .jar file?

I’ll keep playing with it and try to sort it out myself as well.
Thanks in advance.

Still no luck, I did some chmods 777s on the jar file, as well as the extracted files. Attempted to run the install.sh but it threw errors about files missing from the package.
At a loss here as to why the instructions didn’t come through in my case with Ubuntu.

I may have pinpointed the issue, but unsure of the resolution just yet.
gksu is depreciated in 18.04. I noticed the installer uses gksu commands.

I assume the installation needs the new gksu alternative (gvfs).

Just run the contents of the script manually after logging in as root.

Again, Linux novice.
Are you saying execute the install.sh as root or run the commands in install.sh individually as root?
The install.sh file has gksu commands, and gksu no longer exists in 18.04.

Or are you saying, run the commands in install.sh as root excluding the gksu part?
IE

cp conciergeserver /etc/init.d/conciergeserver
chmod 775 /etc/init.d/conciergeserver
update-rc.d conciergeserver defaults
service conciergeserver start

Attached what I see when running the java command as well as running gksu.

When you run
java ConciergeServer

It unpacks the environment specific install and uninstall scripts.

Normal running is done by:

java  ConciergeServer service

The guts of install.sh script needs to be run as root … that’s what gksu does … it logs in as root after asking users permission.
The guts are the lines that you identified, and are used to start the ConciergeServer as a service when Unix restarts.

I tried what I assumed you meant by running the commands as root without gksu and it worked.
Auto launches after a power cycle like I wanted as well.

Thanks!