Works with Nest ending

Yeah but ending or not, I just can’t rely on cloud for this kind of devices. An outage like this happening at a time when there is actually smoke and I am away could be catastrophic. My home system would have missed all the preventive and notification and other actions. No local API => out of my house.

2 Likes

For those who are interested, I have very successfully replaced the nest protects with the equivalent zigbee Halo smoke detectors which were much cheaper and purely local. I didn’t need to connect them to wifi and setup on the vera plus was fairly easy so I am now officially nest free…

1 Like

Hi @rafale77 what do you do with you Nest then, do you sell them? I only have one.

Likely gonna go on ebay unless someone here wants them. I have 3.

Do they detect carbon monoxide too?

I’d consider replacing my protects with zwave models too.

Yes they do. They report to the same zigbee end point and therefore the same vera device variable.

1 Like

So here we are 11 days from when Google is terminating WWN and there have been no real updates from Vera on the status of the transition to Google. Can someone please provide a status update? I checked some threads in the voice assistant category and did not really see anything of any merit.

Nothing from Vera yet.

@Sorin what is the plan with Works With Nest ending for Vera?

IFTTT sent an email and said don’t migrate your account and you can retain functionality.

Will the same be true for Vera?

Just got an email from logitech disclosing that logitech will no longer be able to control nest devices anymore if you migrate. I am so glad I got rid of all the nest devices and replaced them with cheaper and more reliable alternatives. I actually made money in the process.
Nest protect → Halo smoke protector. I made $50 each for the replacement as I sold the nest protects.
ecobee thermostat (I know it’s not nest but similar in concept) → remote ZTS500 made $60 on the exchange and gained a lot of automation/integration functionalities in the process.

1 Like

As long as Logitech integrates with Vera, I’d say who cares.

It is more a statement about nest than logitech…

AFAIK Google will support WWN program until they offer the same set of features via Google Home (not openly, but only with certified skills - and we know that it’s really complicated to get certified).
If you don’t migrate your account, you’ll be good to go. The app and all the connections with WWN will continue to work.
I will continue to use my 3 thermostats until they’re available, then I will try something different. I started long before Google acquired Nest and It’s the only kind of cloud-only thing that I have in my house, and it’s much more for its aesthetic (I really don’t like the classical thermostat design). We’ll see, the market seems to be obsessed by cloud-only devices - but in the long run, they will cost you money to run all this cloud infrastructure…

This may not be the proper place for this but I was hoping someone in the community may be able to help. I am looking to set a notification for if the temperature drops below a setpoint. When I look under the options for available notifications for my Nest E, I only see two available in the dropdown.‘Thermostat mode changes’ and ‘Ambient temperature goes above’. If I look under notifications for my Nest Pro I see a list of 6 and it includes ‘Ambient temperature goes below’. I would try removing the device and re-adding it but I am concerned that if I remove it that I won’t be able to re-add it unless I migrate from WWN to Google. Hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction as to why the dropdown list for the Nest E does not include some of the other notification options.

Hi!

Do Nests other products (like the cameras) work with Vera?

Install reactor and use that, it’s far more powerful than the built in scenes but still easy to use and understand (unlike PLEG).

Actually i found Reactor as hard as Pleg to learn … but reactor is far more easy and fast once you learn it and alot more powerful!!

That’s surprising, I’m in IT and still found PLEG to be entirely user hostile and not even remotely intuitive. Reactor is the complete opposite for me.

3 Likes

Have to agree with dJOS but while I’m in IT, I was never a coder…

C

1 Like

I’m not a coder either, I’ve always been in operations type roles.

1 Like

A man after my own heart :slight_smile:
C

1 Like