Yu Vera Remote for windows (development stage)

currently developing a remote control program for windows. this is W.I.P. and has no E.T.A.

in this topic i will keep track of all the stuff thats going to be in it and what needs work
any good ideas for the working of the program or stuff you want in it, please share it in this topic
working on version 1 which is later on going to be the base of a open source version of the remote which is going to have a own github.
stuff that needs to be in it eventually:

-control for admin/user

• nice workable layout and theme for the icons and the background. <most of it done, still looking for best way to do this.
    If you can draw better pictures then me (which should not be that hard lol) please do attach these in a post so i can use them.
    We need device background, icons , dimmer sliders and control buttons , fullscreen background (set to 1280x1024 for compatibility reason subject to change), on/off
    /arm/disarm, buttons, hvac etc…

graphics:

all 32 bit depth 96pix/inch .PNG format

• icons for the devices need to be 64x64

• background for devices need to be single pane 210x210 and double pane 210x420

• buttons for devices need to be 64x32

• Fullscreen background 1280x1024

• dimmer slider background 32x160

• dimmer knob 32x16

• i use paint.net for these … available here : [url=http://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html]http://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html[/url]
    – templates attached

• going to make it theme switchable by user so you can have multiple themes to choose. 3 times a day auto-changed background. day/evening/night

• fullscreen mode screen with sliders for dimmers and such > not for a while, as this needs extra programming for sizes and theme

• multiple vera’s supported controlled by tab. user selects which vera’s as per username he wish to connect. <done

• plugins that users wrote (allow me to use them please and donate me the icon for it in this topic :slight_smile: )

• camera’s picture and streaming … put camera streaming video in separate boxes. multiple cams simultaniously on multiple monitors < done

• whatever we can think of… please let me know your ideas :=)

edit :
while working on this i found that it would be better to have a customized theme xml file and the possibility to put the buttons, sliders and icons wherever you might wanna place them in the device background. this will take a lot of time (half of it done) so please be patient ;D

is there a way that vera notifies the client program when the job status or some variable changes ?

no, But when you poll Vera using lu_status2 (and appropriate args) you get changes since last poll which include changes to Device State Variables and Jobs.

You’ll need to make sure you pass the data version and load time of the last poll to get the changes.

• Garrett

is there a difference between lu_status and lu_status2 ? when i use sdata or user_data it also gives same output as lu_sdata and lu_userdata2
user_data and user_data2 , sdata, status seem to work also without the lu_ in front.
it is a bit confusing which one to use for the right purpose :s
what is difference between user_data and user_data2 or status and status2 ?
using user_data2 as main input source now. but for updates i can use the status2 and pass the poll time for changes on vera unit,how ?
got a login screen now that one can input username and this checks sta1.mios.com for connected veras and ip then goes to vera unit selection screen where one can select the unit(s) which one can connect to. then it goes to a screen with vera(s) with the devices per room.
still thinking about what is best approach.

You can see my Java Loop for accessing Vera.
It includes all of the logic to swap between connections (Remote, Local, Direct), Initial Status, Polling results, …

thanx !
i attached a screenie of what i allready got now :slight_smile:
edit: looked @ java and its now clear to me what i need to do to properly poll the vera for updates. saves a lot of braindamage :slight_smile:
having a hard time now to find out what is the best approach for easy and functioning userinterface. i have option to a) divide into category or b) make an extra setting which can set every single device displaybox to visible or non-visible or perhaps both.
any input greatly appreaciated on how to make the userinterface. i choose to separate devices by room as this seems most logical. stuck now on how to show device categorys. whether the room shows all categorys or show as be switched on/off per category or separate them under linebreaks per category

bug in forum… when i press F5 / refresh page in browser the view count of icon_tile increases.

got a bit further now and started to implement the icons and skinnable dimmer and a few plugins.
if anyone got any suggestions please do tell me ;D

little progress… new grafix en alignment

Nice project. Are you also targeting Windows based mobile platforms with this? It seems there is a demand for something like that.

By the way, if you still need icons, google around for free ones. There are some rather nice ones out there under various licenses, usually cc by-sa meaning you can use them freely (sometimes even commercially) as long as you attribute the creator and distribute the icons under the same conditions.

thnx :slight_smile:
i have no experience with windows phone platform. not really planning to make such version as there is allready Grasshopper which is nice. the yu remote is mostly .NET 4.0
icons is not really my main focus right now as im making a theme implementation so everyone can have their own icons and background and such. but if someone has some nicer looking icons/buttons , please do send me these. the ones i used for now are from UI5 and from google picture search. ill look into this later on. if you happen to have some nice ones please gimme links to these :slight_smile:

This looks interesting, not sure how well it works though.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,6489.0.html

thats for implementation in the mediacenter… my remote is a standalone. if you have tried it and succeeded i would be amazed.

Never tried it. Media center is too painful to use for just simple stuff, I could only imagine how painful it would be for anything more complex.

Never cared for the idea of tying a computer into the Xbox 360 for a multi-media center.

If you would like to try out a early alpha (stable) version you can download it here : [url=https://houseofyu.nl/Yu_Vera_Remote.rar]https://houseofyu.nl/Yu_Vera_Remote.rar[/url]
start the program with : vera_remote.exe
win8 nags about screenfilter… just run it anyway its a false positive. its because it uses remote http requests in .NET4.0
in the program screen right click and choose Connect Unit(s) and fill in local IP or username for your vera
on the camera tiles you can rightclick and stream video in a separate window. rightclick on other devices gives info or other options.
please give feedback ::slight_smile:

hello, good job.

but some devices like Hue settings, sonos, virtual switch, do not appears like would.

good tool for use in one pc.

thanks for the job, looks promising.

thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:
that is correct, i have not implemented these. just mention what is missing and i see if i can implement it. having the icons for it would be nice so if you know where i can find these it be great. you can change all grafics to match the wall and switchbackplates you have as well as the icons.
there in default directory. it also supports touchscreen monitors for win7/8.

Original Icons for sonos I think is on the sonos plugin installation pack.
anothers I don’t know.
but for some more beautiful try: iconarchive.com

Looks like you are off to a good start.

Here’s a few things I noticed:

One quirky thing that I noticed, the remote doesn’t show the ACP Plugin from (http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16190.msg123599.html#msg123599) as a switch – but if I click on the icon for it, the on/off even is still being fired as if it were a switch.

Virtual Switches aren’t showing up either – just the default icon from the Vera is shown (blue orb).

If you have too many tabs, there is no way to scroll right to see the others.