Zooz ZSE40 4-in-1 Sensor

If you have issues getting the devices to show… Pull the battery, put back in.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I just got the fix from Agnes over at The Smartest House. Works like a champ:

1. In the Vera online (browser) interface, select the sensor, then click on Advanced.
  1. Go to the Params tab and make the following changes:
  • device_type: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:MotionSensor:1

• device_file: D_MotionSensor1.xml

• device_json: D_MotionSensor1.json

Then activate the sensor by clicking the Z-Wave button 3 times quickly (just like during inclusion). Please leave the device by your Vera for a few hours so it can fully configure.

Whenever you see a configuration error on the interface, you need to wake a device up manually by clicking on the Z-Wave sensor once with a paperclip. The sensor only wakes up for 20 seconds after inclusion and some controllers are not able to exchange all the data during that initial period of time. To conserve batteries, the sensor only wakes up every 12 hours which is fine during normal operation but is an issue if initial configuration is not completed at set-up. All it take to fix this is waking the sensor up by clicking on the Z-Wave button (the LED will flash once).

I actually had to wake the device a second time. The first time the configuration process started and Vera rebooted. By the time Vera came back up, and tried to finish the configuration, the device had gone back to sleep. So I pressed the zwave button again three more times, and Vera finished the configuration. Now no more errors, and all sensors are showing. Very impressed.

Another post (http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,39943.msg297221.html#msg297221) indicated that this sensor was the same as the Vision ZP3111. I was having trouble so I tried pairing it as that device, and that did not make the problems go away. Also, that plugin seems to be generally buggy. Now when I pair the device as a “Generic Z-Wave Device” (after unpairing) it still gets assigned to the Vision ZP3111. How can I stop that from happening?

Just follow this link:

After I made the changes to mine, everything works normal now.

[quote=“kalel3000, post:24, topic:192570”]Just follow this link:

After I made the changes to mine, everything works normal now.[/quote]

I was missing the info in steps 4 and 5. Thanks!

Yea, that’s where I was getting stuck too. I didn’t even know we could reload the engine like that.

ok so I did all the steps listed on this post and now I see the motion sensor with an arm/disarm toggle however how do i know if it is detecting motion, there is no indication anywhere that shows me.

EDIT: it isn’t detecting motion…any ideas?

[quote=“swine, post:27, topic:192570”]ok so I did all the steps listed on this post and now I see the motion sensor with an arm/disarm toggle however how do i know if it is detecting motion, there is no indication anywhere that shows me.

EDIT: it isn’t detecting motion…any ideas?[/quote]

The device (and I suppose other battery powered motion sensors also) sends a “motion detected” signal only once every 3 minutes or so. This time interval is one of the configuration settings. I found that made it difficult to test.

What I did is create a scene that is triggered by the motion device with an immediate action of turning on a light and a 2 minute delayed action to turn the light back off. I just left that running for several days so I could see the motion detection happening.

Tried that still doesnt do anytning, its weird because I have a battery operated door sensor and when I open the door I see the icon looks like it is sending a signal so I know it is working. The motion sensor doesnt do the same thing. Its weird that this 4 in 1 isnt registering properly with the vera considering it is listed as compatible. I have the edge with the newest firmware.

I can’t help with the issue other than to assure you it does work with the Vision device settings - I have the “Cyrus” branded one, also the same, and get four devices in Vera.

I have it set up a similar way to GLD except I use the device itself as the timer for two scenes, one ON and one OFF.

The device sends a “motion detected” event and then sends a “stopped detecting motion” X minutes after the last detection (not after the first message), where X is your configured timeout. This is exactly what is needed for a light switch.

Seems reliable to me (although tbh it’s only a couple of weeks) once I’d turned off polling (doesn’t work for battery devices), and adjusted the sensitivity to “1” (anything less seems to require waving your arms in front of the sensor!). The only thing that surprised me was changing params chews the battery life - in normal use it is OK so far.

I have the monoprice version of this device. I tried pairing it using the generic z wave option, but it would not allow me to name the device, although it would successfully exchange security keys. When I used the Vision 4 in 1 device option it worked.

Mine engages in a strange (at least by my perception) behavior. Every flew minutes it flashes a rather bright light. Is this supposed to happen? I wanted to use this in a bedroom setting, but it is annoying to say the least. If you have seen this behavior and found a way to eliminate it, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The flashing light is a temperature indicator - if you set parameter 7 to 1 it will switch it off.

Annoyingly it also switches off the movement indication flash.

Anyone have this with small pets? I want tp put this in a 20 foot hallway but I have several small dogs and a cat. I want to set it up so when someone comes out of the bedroom it will detect motion and turn on a night light in the hallway.

Thanks
Jim

My 65 lb dogs set this off even if I reduce the sensitivity.

These are very sensitive… They detect 24" tall grass plants swaying in my yard!

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Anyone else have problems with battery level reports?

Mine ran for three weeks at 100%, then dropped to 1% and is still going fine after two more weeks. When I check with a battery tester they look fine - I’d guess 90%.

Is there any way to calibrate this?

For the parameters listed in the document above… How do I find those in UI7 for this device. Under advanced>parameters I have no options that look like those.

In Device Options - do “Add Configuration Settings” then the number of the param you want; set it intially to Monitor Only to see what is currently set, then change it if desired.

[quote=“rge”]The flashing light is a temperature indicator - if you set parameter 7 to 1 it will switch it off.

Annoyingly it also switches off the movement indication flash.

In the paperwork that came with mine, parameter 7 being set to 4 will show a flash for motion but nothing for temp, which is what I believe you want. I did this last night and it worked like a champ. Once I finish getting it set up and know it’s aimed correctly I will be turning all lights off for battery conservation.

[quote=“The Device Manual, post:32, topic:192570”]Once the 4-in-1 sensor is added to your ZWave network, you are able to monitor the
values reported by the device on your computer or mobile device.
Please refer to your controller’s user guide for advanced programming instructions as
they are a little different for every software.

Temperature Sensor
Parameter 1: Use this parameter to switchfrom Fahrenheit to Celsius scale.
Values: 0 – Celsius. 1 – Fahrenheit (default). Size: 1 byte dec.

Parameter 2: Use it to set temperature change to be reported by the sensor.
Values: 1 - 50 (where 1 stands for 0.1 degree and 50 stands for 5 degrees). Default set to 1
degree (value 10). The sensor will report new temperature value to the controller
whenever temperature goes 1 degree up or down. Size: 1 byte dec.

Humidity Sensor
Reports relative humidity. Parameter 3: Use it to set humidity
percentage change to be reported by the sensor.
Values: 1 - 50 where 1 stands for 1% and 50 stands for 50%. Default set to 10%. Size: 1 byte dec.

Light Sensor
Reports light level in percentage (1-100). Parameter 4: Use it to choose light
percentage change to be reported by the sensor.
Values: 5 - 50 where 5 stands for 5% and 50 stands for 50%. Default set to 10%. Size: 1 byte dec.

Motion Sensor
Parameter 5: Use it to set trigger interval - the time when motion is reported again
after initial trigger. Values: 1 - 255 where 1 stands for 1 minute
and 255 stands for 255 minutes. Default set to 3 minutes. Size: 1 byte dec.
NOTE: Small interval will increase activity and decrease battery life.

Parameter 6: Use it to adjust PIR sensor sensitivity.
Values: 1 - 7, where 1 = very high sensitivity and 7 = very low sensitivity. Default set to 4.
Size: 1 byte dec.

LED notifications
LED indicator will flash every 3 minutes or whenever you press the Z-Wave button to
indicate temperature level. How to read LED indicator colors?
Green = under 60?F
Blue = 60?-75?F
Yellow = 75?-83?F
Purple = 83?-97?F
Red = over 97?F / motion detected / tamper switch triggered

Parameter 7: Use it to choose between LED indicator modes.
Mode 1 = LED indicator is turned off (no visual notifications).
Mode 2 = temperature indicated with pulsing light. Motion indicated with flashing light.
Mode 3 = temperature and motion indicated with flashing light.
Mode 4 = no indication for temperature, motion indicated with flashing light.

Values: 1 - 4. Default set to 3. Size: 1 byte dec.
NOTE: Mode 2 will increase activity and decrease battery life.[/quote]

What is the longest any of you have gone on a set of standard alkaline batteries? My best is about 4 months. I’ve actually uninstalled mine.