ZRC-90 Scene Master

Anyone got this Z-wave Gen5 device working? Got it to add okay and assigned 8 scenes okay and changed the scenes to recognize it as a trigger but then it starts giving messages that it cant be communicated with and none of the scenes get executed when the corresponding button is pressed. Now trying permutations and combinations without much success. Since it is a new device expect that Vera Control will have to add support for it.

I bought one of these too. I was able to pair it to my VeraLite (I think it is paired, since it shows the battery life on UI7 interface); but, it doesnā€™t do anything else. I called the support line, emailed them and sent a online request and I have heard nothing from them. I like Vera but this is ridiculous, there customer service is terrible. I have been waiting for a 5 days. Why would they take this on without making sure it worksā€¦ I would love an answer!

What do you mean take it on? Is it included in their compatability list or did they sell it?
There are many new z-wave devices that are not immediately compatible but Vera cannot be blamed for that.

Hadnā€™t seen thisā€¦ kinda cool looking. Basically a bigger minimote? Is there room for small labels?

It is on their list and they sold it. Incidentally, I did finally get a call back after writing their management group. The controller is working, not perfectly but it is working.

Iā€™ve got the same experience - the buttons are working after including it - and when selecting 8 buttons it appears they are randomly selecting scenes to be run. So sometimes the number two button triggers a different scene then in other cases. Is the concept of the device is great - but starting random scenes is kind of counter productive.

I first thought it was the result of a continuous mix-up of the value IDā€™s being send related to the sort-order of the 8 buttons in Vera but that canā€™t be the case because with every update the set of connected scenes is different. Is there any way I can see what the device is actually sending out to Vera so I can try to understand what is causing it?

Has anyone had any more luck with this? I have it paired but the buttons arenā€™t triggering the scenes I have defined for themā€¦ Just get 4 blinks when processing a button.

Iā€™ve been playing with this device as I wanted a multi-button scene controller that could activate more than 8 scenes (Vera Edge /1.7.1707). Following the approach used for the NodOn remotes, Iā€™ve set up a scene that triggers on scenes 1,3,5 or 7 from the ZRC-90 (these are the values produced by the ā€œsl_SceneActivatedā€ variable when any of the eight buttons are pressed). Using the code below in the Luup tab of the scene Iā€™m just writing the value of the ā€œLastSceneIDā€ to a variable container so I can see the button codes produced. It seems to be very reliably returning the codes 1 to 8 corresponding to the button being pressed however the same codes are returned whether it is a short single or double press so I canā€™t differentiate between more than eight scenes whereas it should be able to differentiate up to 24 scenes (short, long & double press) :frowning:

Iā€™ve also tried it on a Vera 2 (1.5.673) where I was able to detect virtually all the NodOn Octan scene codes but the firmware does not seem to configure the ZRC-90 correctly as a scene controller as it does not provision the ā€œsl_SceneActivatedā€ variable in the device control panel. Looking at the logs it just seems to get a battery update when a button on the ZRC-90 is pressed. Iā€™m tempted to play around with the device capability parameters but the V2 is my production system and I donā€™t want to de-stabilise or brick it.

luup.call_delay(ā€˜scene_controllerā€™,1)
function scene_controller()
local RlastSceneID = luup.variable_get(ā€œurn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneController1ā€,ā€œLastSceneIDā€,230)

luup.variable_set(ā€œurn:upnp-org:serviceId:VContainer1ā€,ā€œVariable1ā€,RlastSceneID, 202)
end

Any new findings on the ZRC-90? I have paired it as generic device and ā€œZRC-90ā€(hand held section), but is fails to configure as it hangs ā€œpurging associationsā€. Can program the scenes to keys, but they donā€™t activate the scenes as described above.

I have contacted vera support, but they only suggested to unpair, reset and pair again, which I have done a couple of times by nowā€¦

thegazelle you mention that you got it working, albeit not perfectly. What did you do?

Are you using UI5 or UI7?
UI5 does not seem to detect any button press even if it successfully configures.
With UI7 you have to set the scene triggers as I outlined in my post above and use LUA ā€œIfā€¦thenā€ statements or PLEG to decode the last scene ID to distinguish the 8 buttons. Vera does not seem to be able to distinguish short, long or double press. Vera support says this is a Remotec problem although other controllers (e.g. ST) seem to be able to make it workā€¦

Thank you Frasier for your reply. I am using UI7 on a Vera Edge.

The main issue that bugs me is that it does not configure correctly, but I guess that can only be sorted out by Vera / Remotecā€¦

In any case, I will try out inserting the code as you suggest.

I received this reply from support on the same issue:

In order to be able to use this device properly with Vera, please upgrade the unit to the latest beta firmware available. You?ll need to follow the instructions from our support page for this operation:

http://support.getvera.com/customer/portal/articles/2466977

Please know that we recommend to do the upgrade at a time when you?ll be at the same location with the unit as it might require to power cycle the controller after the upgrade.
Once done, re-include the Remotec ZRC-90 and re-configure your desired scene/actions.

I plan to hold off on this until thereā€™s more field experience with the beta. YMMV.

Iā€™ve downloaded the latest Beta onto a Vera Plus and can confirm that it now seems to fully support the ZRC-90 without recourse to any Lua code.
During device set-up you confirm that it has 8 buttons. When creating scenes after you select the ZRC-90, you enter a scene number corresponding to the button number and select single, double, long press or release from a drop down table. I have not checked all 32 possible permutations (and particularly how to distinguish between button release and the other modes) but it seems to work fine on a random selection I checked. :slight_smile:

The Nodon Octon (and presumably their other 4 button devices) also now has options for single and double press (but long press seems to be omitted). However there appears to be an issue that the Octon disappears from the dashboard (and availability for trigger selection in scenes) a few minutes after configuration. Tried excluding and re-including and the problem re-occurs. Will log issue with support to see what they sayā€¦ ::slight_smile:

For me, on the new Vera Plus with 1.7.2044, the ZRC-90ā€™s 8 scene buttons work, but only with single-click. When I configure a scene trigger with double-click, release or hold, after saving and returning to edit the scene, Iā€™ll find the scene selection returned to single-click.

have the same issue here i enrolled this device on a vera edge and it was working fine, i decided to remove it and add it again, and it stop working, i tryed updating the FW to 1.7.2043. same issue

i have a vera plus also, i enrolled the device there and is working as a charm, so i am suspecting might be a problem with the veraedge FW
i am working with remotec and vera support on this issue

please let me know if anyone has make it work on FW 1.7.2043

yatagx I have the same problem with VeraEdge and FW 1.7.2043. My remotec will not configure (gets stuck purging associations).

Please let me know, if you get any useful advice from Vera / Remotec.

Itā€™s not working perfectly with my Vera Plus (not all the button press combinations are supported). A bigger issue is that my Vera Plus reports it canā€™t detect the scene controller after a couple of hours. Iā€™ve tried a bunch of things, including setting the poll frequency to ā€˜0ā€™, i.e. to never poll, but still end up having the Vera Plus complaining the device canā€™t be detected.

The scene controller still works, despite the error from Vera Plus.

I have the same issue.
Vera Edge, latest firmware.
i succeeded to pair the device and assign scene to a button but pressing the button, does nothing.

Hi.

I got the ZRC-90 to work activating scenes, but how do I get i to dimm lights?
In the documentation it says ā€œ8 group dimming functionā€
Anyone got it work dimming lights on long press?

I have the same problem with a new VeraEdge 1.7.2139

I did a reset and reconnected, can see the battery status. On adding a scene I only get the option to enter a button number. No long/short/dim options. And nothing happens when I press the button.