ZRC-90

For some reason (Latest Firmware??), my ZRC-90 suddenly stopped working correctly and started running the wrong scenes. For example, single press button two ran scene from single press button 3 and double press button two ran the scene from double press button one. (Weird eh!).

When I set the scenes up originally, the only way I could get the scenes linked to the device was in the scene editor, choosing the button and number of presses as the trigger. Setting up in the device did not work.

To solve this new problem, I have had to change each scene in the scene editor to manually triggered and then use the ZRC-90 assign scenes to buttons with the device set up. Opposite to what was needed before.

I am just putting this out there in case anyone else found the same problem.

I had a similar problem but my ZRC-90 just stopped working altogether - it seems the way that the ZRC-90 works with VERA has changed - I had the same solution as you in that I now have to assign using the “Assign buttons to scenes” function instead of it being a selectable trigger in a normal scene - that doesn’t work anymore - which is a shame as there were two other options in that setting (Button released and button held)

Hmm. I just upgraded to a Vera Plus from Vera Lite. Amongst my problems is that I cannot get one ZRC90 to work at all (having removed it in an attempt to fix it) it will now only flash its LED in the rapid 6 blink that claims it’s an invalid scene. Despite the Vera saying it’s all good. Nothing comes up in the log either.

If I try to add a new scene to the (other) ZRC-90 that still triggers pre-upgrade scenes, either by creating the scene with a trigger, or adding it with the ‘Assign Button’ the LED flashes twice, but nothing else happens, and nothing is written to the log.

Sigh

C

See the answer from Vera support regarding the problem with transferring z-wave network from one vera to another and then adding ZRC-90

Hello Alefel
We have done some further investigations in our offices and it seems that the Remotec ZRC-90 is not getting configured properly by VERA if in the past a transfer was done from another VERA controller.
At this moment we are still trying to figure out why this is happening, but we don?t have any resolution yet.
In order to use this remote with Vera you will need to Reset the Z-Wave network of Vera (this operation will erase all your Z-Wave devices) and include the remote on a clean unit. Just to confirm your findings, you can try to save a backup of you current configuration, reset the Z-Wave network and then include the remote.
If you will need assistance on this matter, we can re-schedule another phone call and guide you just let me know.
Have a nice day,
Regards,

Cristina G. ▾ Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control

www.getvera.comsupport@getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

Thanks for raising that. Yes I had seen that data. I believe its because the ZRC90 expects the master to have a node id of 1. The new master (after an upgrade) does not.

Deep joy

C

I am COMPLETELY ignorant about scene controllers, but I just bought the ZRC-90 to avoid having to always use my phone/PC to control devices. I have the latest Vera firmware installed.

First I tried using the ZRC-90 as a scene trigger as that is still a way to set it up; it worked for “scene 1” single button press, but for nothing else. Bummer, because I want to be able to do button held as well as single and double presses.

So I set up manually triggered scenes and assigned them to the buttons via the device, and that works perfectly but there is no option for button held.

Is it a reasonable expectation to be able to use the ZRC-90 both from the scene trigger and from the device, as long as there is no overlap in functionality? Since the hub allows me to do both, seems like both should work.

Is it possible for Vera to add button held as an additional option in the device?

I would like to submit a request to customer support for both of those questions, but not if the answer is going to be that they are not possible.

When I had my scenes and set the buttons via the scene I found that the buttons operated the wrong scenes so I think it is unlikely that you can use both methods.
It would be great if support found a way though.

I emailed support and then did some experimentation. Maybe I should have reversed the order…but I still think it would be great if they would implement button held on the device.

I mistakenly assumed that the “scene activated” number was the same as the number of the button pressed, which is wrong. I ran through several button presses and made a mapping table for button/press/scene:

Button Press Scene
1 Once 1
1 Release 1
1 Hold 1
1 Double 2
2 Once 3
2 Release 2
2 Hold 2
2 Double 4
3 Once 5
3 Release 3
3 Hold 3
3 Double 6
4 Once 7
4 Release 4
4 Hold 4
4 Double 8
5 Once 9
5 Release 5
5 Hold 5
5 Double 10
6 Once 11
6 Release 6
6 Hold 6
6 Double 12
7 Once 13
7 Release 7
7 Hold 7
7 Double 14
8 Once 15
8 Release 8
8 Hold 8
8 Double 16

So for example, if you want to press button 3 one time, use scene 5. Setting up manually triggered scenes and assigning the scene to a button press on the device is much easier, but I do want to use button held.

Once I set up my scene triggers using this information, everything worked great. I was even able to enter some lua code in the button held scene to increase the dim level 10% for a light, as when you hold down a button it triggers events until you release. I haven’t yet figured out what button release might be useful for.

Maybe support will explain why the scene number doesn’t map exactly to the button number, sounds like it did before the firmware upgrade.

[quote=“dagrider, post:8, topic:195572”]Button Press Scene
3 Once 5
5 Release 5
5 Hold 5[/quote]
So just taking scene 5 as an example.
If I press button 3 once it does the same as hold on button 5.

I assume this means that if I want to use the press and hold then I cannot use the single push so I am still limited to only 16 scenes. From this I gather that the only advantage of the press and hold is that it can be used for dimming as it keeps running the same scene.
Out of interest, what happens if you assign scenes in scene editor and device for the same button. Do you get both actions?

Personally, I hope they can modify the device type so that, for example, button 5 pressed once runs scene 5 once, press and hold then release runs multiple scene 5 and double push button 5 runs scene 10. At least that would make sense.

[quote=“Slartibartfast, post:9, topic:195572”]Button Press Scene
3 Once 5
5 Release 5
5 Hold 5

I assume this means that if I want to use the press and hold then I cannot use the single push so I am still limited to only 16 scenes. From this I gather that the only advantage of the press and hold is that it can be used for dimming as it keeps running the same scene.
Out of interest, what happens if you assign scenes in scene editor and device for the same button. Do you get both actions?

Personally, I hope they can modify the device type so that, for example, button 5 pressed once runs scene 5 once, press and hold then release runs multiple scene 5 and double push button 5 runs scene 10. At least that would make sense.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s REAL confusing! I had to make an Excel spreadsheet and look at it while I was setting up the scenes :smiley:

For the scene 5 example, the scene number and button press together define the trigger. So if you want to press button 3 once and make something happen, in the trigger you would set the “scene to activate” to 5 and the button press to once, then that trigger will happen. If you want to hold button 5 and make something happen, you would set the “scene to activate” to 5 and the button press to hold, then that trigger will happen. The “scene to activate” appears to be some sort of internal scene (Maybe scenes that those scene controllers apparently know about? I am pretty fuzzy on that Z-Wave scene stuff) and not a Vera scene, which makes things even more confusing.

What setting the Vera scene to run on the device does is hide that other type of scene from the user, which makes a lot of sense. I too hope they will add the button hold to the device setting…customer support did reply back and basically said I need to set the scenes in the device and that he didn’t know if they would add the button hold but if they did it would show up in the release notes. I let him know that I was finally able to set the scene trigger after I made that map so I can use the button hold, but would prefer to do it the easier way.

I also contacted support about the ZRC-90. Since the latest Firmware the buttons will call the wrong scene, or no scene at all.

I had everything working fine: single click enables a scene to tun on a lamp, double click turns off the lamp.
With hold I was even able to set a dimlevel for the lamp.

My experience: do not configure the device itself, do not use “Select scenes for device buttons”!!

But only create scenes yourself and use Remotec as Trigger.

Example:
Select a Trigger
Whenever Remotec
A scene is activated
which scene number: 2 → This actually means: which button!! Button 2 in this case!
How is the button pressed: The key is pressed 1 time

Hope this helps.

This used to work very well untill the latest Vera Edge firmware.

[quote=“dorpjes, post:11, topic:195572”]I also contacted support about the ZRC-90. Since the latest Firmware the buttons will call the wrong scene, or no scene at all.

I had everything working fine: single click enables a scene to tun on a lamp, double click turns off the lamp.
With hold I was even able to set a dimlevel for the lamp.

My experience: do not configure the device itself, do not use “Select scenes for device buttons”!!

But only create scenes yourself and use Remotec as Trigger.

Example:
Select a Trigger
Whenever Remotec
A scene is activated
which scene number: 2 → This actually means: which button!! Button 2 in this case!
How is the button pressed: The key is pressed 1 time

Hope this helps.

This used to work very well untill the latest Vera Edge firmware.[/quote]

Hi could you share more about the hold. Do you mean you are able to vary the dimming level by holding the button? I’m interested in achieving that, can it be done? or could someone direct me to how it can be done. Thanks.

I have a VeraLite with firmware 1.7.919
Has anyone the same setup and got the ZRC-90 working?
I’ve tried the method described above and can’t get it working!
Thanx, RoNo

Personally, I hope they can modify the device type so that, for example, button 5 pressed once runs scene 5 once, press and hold then release runs multiple scene 5 and double push button 5 runs scene 10. At least that would make sense.
[/quote]

If you establish condition only on the scene set (not directly on the device), that don’t happen. On the scene set you indicate the “cenario” number and the type of press.

In your example, both have the same cenario number but that cenario is link to the type of click.

I have this remote with 32 different scenes working on my house without special configurations.

Important note: do not mix the scenes configured on the device with the ones configured on the Vera Plus scene set. My advice is to leave the device scenes empty for each entry (“Please choose house mode, scene or No Change”).

On the scene set you need to use the cenario “scene” number indicated by user dagrider (hold and release as the same scene number as the button and the buttons have a sequence scene number for 1 or 2 clicks).

After you understand the system, it’s pretty awsome and simple. I have two remotes and make the programs without any note helping me.