ZWave USB Stick

I bought myself a SmartStick+ in the hopes of updating some some of my devices’ firmware. I tried pairing the SmartSick+ with my Vera as a “generic z-wave device”. It partially works, but gets stuck at “getting secure classes” (in Vera). The SmartStick+ fimrware utility seems to “see” some of my devices, but after it finishes the scan, it comes up empty with the devices available to push an update.

My guess is that the security information is not properly passed to the SmartStick+

I did post a service request to Vera, but they blew me off (SmartSick is not a supported device).

Per this thread, it seems there has been some success in adding the SmartStick+ to Vera, so I’m wondering what steps I might take. (I’ve tried unpairing, and re-pairing the SmartStick several times.)

Thanks!

Moved your post to a new topic since it had nothing to do with the homeseer switch where you posted.

I have a smartstick+ on my vera but I am using it as a substitute to the vera onboard radio. How are you trying to integrate yours?

It looks like you are trying to add the stick as a secondary controller, if so, what host software are you using? The secure class key is hosted by the host controller, not by the smartstick+ itself so what controller you use is of prime importance. To this date I only know of openzwave (and the controllers which use it like home assistant and openhab) to allow you to set the secure class key.

Drats – I replied to the wrong thread. This is the one I was trying to reference (Leviton Dimmer/Switch OTA Firmware Updates - #5 by shallowearth - Vera Controllers & Cameras - Ezlo Community)

The only thing I need to do with my smartstick+ is to temporarily include it as a secondary controller (which my understanding is that all the zwave network information is copied over), and then use the z-flash utility to update firmware. The z-flash utility comes with some firmware updates for certain devices.

This is the instructions I was trying to follow:
http://help.homeseer.com/help/Z-Flash/static/

I am trying this on a VeraSecure.

I am attaching the SmartStick device as a screengrab from the UI7 that shows the “getting secure classes” message.

Thanks!!!
image|416x188

Ok if his is all you need to do, you don’t need the secure inclusion and can just ignore the vera message. Include the stick and run your OTA upgrade, then exclude the stick. The OTA upgrade should not require security command class. You can then exclude the stick again from the vera.

1 Like

Maybe I need to take this to the Homeseer forums then. It seems the Z-Flash/SmartStick is able to scan my z-wave network, and identify the devices per the log below. However, only one device shows up in the “available” devices window (see attachment).

Thanks for the inputs – they are helpful!

Error getting version information for node 1, Send failed.
Manufacturer information for node 2, ID: 29=1DH (Leviton), Type: 1538=602H, ID: 820=334H
Node 2 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 3.52 App: 0.7
Manufacturer information for node 3, ID: 99=63H (Jasco), Type: 21079=5257H, ID: 13619=3533H
Node 3 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 2.97 App: 3.20
Manufacturer information for node 4, ID: 99=63H (Jasco), Type: 21079=5257H, ID: 13619=3533H
Node 4 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 2.97 App: 3.20
Manufacturer information for node 5, ID: 29=1DH (Leviton), Type: 769=301H, ID: 521=209H
Node 5 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 2.09 App: 0.4
Manufacturer information for node 8, ID: 29=1DH (Leviton), Type: 769=301H, ID: 521=209H
Node 8 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 2.09 App: 0.4
Node 9 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 2.09 App: 0.4
Node 10 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 2.97 App: 3.20
Manufacturer information for node 12, ID: 29=1DH (Leviton), Type: 769=301H, ID: 521=209H
Node 12 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 2.09 App: 0.4
Node 13 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 3.52 App: 0.7
Manufacturer information for node 14, ID: 29=1DH (Leviton), Type: 769=301H, ID: 521=209H
Node 14 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 2.09 App: 0.4
Manufacturer information for node 15, ID: 29=1DH (Leviton), Type: 1538=602H, ID: 820=334H
Node 16 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 3.52 App: 0.7
Manufacturer information for node 17, ID: 29=1DH (Leviton), Type: 769=301H, ID: 521=209H
Node 17 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 2.09 App: 0.4
Manufacturer information for node 19, ID: 99=63H (Jasco), Type: 18770=4952H, ID: 12342=3036H
Node 19 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 4.54 App: 5.22
Error getting version information for node 20, Send failed.
Manufacturer information for node 22, ID: 29=1DH (Leviton), Type: 1025=401H, ID: 518=206H
Manufacturer information for node 23, ID: 134=86H (Aeon Labs), Type: 2=2H, ID: 28=1CH
Node 23 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 3.67 App: 1.17
Error getting version information for node 28, Send failed.
Device sync complete.
Init Done.

The homeseer ota software seems to be a knock off of the generic silicon labs tool provided with the sdk. The smartstick+ by the way is nothing more than a generic sil labs UZB reference design. I would recommend to try to download the sil labs pc controller and use the smartstick to run the OTA upgrade.

Edit: looking at the logs. It just looks like the devices have not yet sent back the node info needed by the zflash tool. Just be patient and retry. The initial bootup on a large network may take some retries.

Thanks for the advice. I went to the SI site, and it won’t let me register right now to download the PC Controller software.

As an aside, I’ve had this setup for over a week now, so I would have thought that any timeliness issues would have resolved themselves by now.

Could the security classes have anything to do with this?

No unlikely to have anything to do with secure class. The time starts when you start the zflash program. It does not depend on your inclusion time. Depending on how busy your network is, you may need to restart a NIF call. I am not very familiar with the homeseer version. It may not retry automatically…

Edit: Ok looking further into it. It is a Zflash problem. A lot of your device actually completed their NIF. Zflash will show available only devices for which it knows that it can do a firmware upgrade. So it means that for the others, it doesn’t have an upgrade available or that it is not capable of upgrading them. I still highly recommend to use the Sil Lab tool (they own zwave after all) instead of homeseer.

Thanks – do you know how to get the SI version? I was able to log onto the site finally, but when I tried to download the tool, it said I did not have enough privileges.

I know there are updates for some of the Levitons on my network…

Regards