A Doorbell and Alert System all in One

I installed the doorbell and is working only if I press the transmitter button for about 4 seconds (until the blue ring light around the button is gone). Most of the people coming to the door won’t keep pressing the button for over 4 seconds and the doorbell will not rung. Does anybody has this issue? Thanks.

aztihg

To MNB - Hi Mike - I measured the distance to both bells - the farthest is about 24 feet from the button and one floor down (i.e. in the basement), the second is about 20 feet and 1/2 floor up.

To Aztigh - That was the same problem that I had initially. Bring both units close to each other and re-orient the transmitter unit (button) and see if a different position solves the problem. With my unit - a single light press of the button is all that I need. If that fails, contact Aeon Labs (they have an email address), and see what they suggest. If the unit is not defective, you should be able to get it to work.

Hi Donnie,

Sorry I did not see your question previously. Yes, both units respond to the single button; so I put the second button unit away and will use it in the future if the first ever fails. I spoke with Aeon Labs at the beginning of my installation to see if they had “repeater receivers” that I could purchase instead of having to buy a second doorbell to extend the audible message zone around our house. They responded that they did not at this time but were looking into it; hence, I purchased the entire unit for the extended setup.

Thank you coticon for your suggestion. In my case turned out that the battery that came with the wireless button was weak. After I replaced the battery it worked but I still have an issue. Whenever I press the button to ring the doorbell, I have to press it twice.
The first press does nothing, but additional presses light up the button and ring the bell. If I repeatedly press the button within 5-6 seconds, it rings the bell most of the time. The first press only wakes up the transmitter and additional presses ring the bell. I confirmed with Aeotec that the button goes to sleep after a few seconds but no solution to fix it yet. Do you have this issue with yours?

Thanks
aztihg

Wow - I’m happy that you solved the range issue but very sorry that you are required to press the button twice to get a response. My button rings the first time with just a lite press. My suggestion is to call Aeon Labs and tell them that others do not have this issue - and if there is a sleep mode they should be able to tell you how to suspend it and if there is not - then they should replace the button. Company’s tech departments sometimes hope to stall you long enough so that you will become discouraged and not follow through. Unfortunately what they don’t realize is that when you walk away it has a negative impact on one’s word of mouth opinion of the company and its product. They would be far wiser to keep following up and working with you until the problem is solved.

Good Luck and I would be interested in how this resolves. Stick with it - tenacity is the buyer’s best friend.

Coticon, I can also say that your Amazon review was the deciding factor in the purchase of this product. I bought two: one for our master bedroom and one for he main area of the house. The master unit announces which door is open (as we cannot see which doors are or aren’t open from our room) and the main just alerts anyone in the house that one of the many doors/sliding doors are open.

I’m having delay problems (sometimes as much as 7 second delays between a door sensor triggering the sound notification) and the notifications repeating themselves when I’ve specified Perameter 2 as 1. Each scene has ringtone, volume, and repetition parameters specified in the LUUP field (and in no particular order, either).

Any tips that would A) Speed up the sound to match the timing of the actual trigger and B) Keep the sound notifications from repeating themselves despite the LUUP code I’m using?

Hi Lotsaplots - sorry for the delay in replying to your question but I wanted to test each of the 38 messages that I have stored in the unit to see what the lag is between the activation of the scene and the transmission of the message. I found the following: the message for the doorbell button press is immediate (within 1 second), but this is a direct function of pressing the button and does not involve Vera; an alert messages generated as a result of a scene event that requires activation of a device (e.g. thermostat is changed, furnace kicks in, message that heat has been set) can range from 10 seconds to 20 seconds - after the scene is triggered … fortunately these messages are not time critical so I can live with that; messages triggered as a result of an alarm (e.g high water detected in the laundry room) are announced in less than 3 seconds - which is a relief since these are sensors which are time critical (fire alarm, motion detection, flooding).

If your delays are with units which just send an alarm - there might be a distance issue - suggestion: try moving the sensor closer to either Vera or the Aeon Labs unit to see if that reduces the delay - if this is the case you might want to install any other ZWave device in the transmission path to serve as a repeater which might help with relaying the signal. Still thinking about this one … you might try to reduce the size (perhaps sample rate) of the MP3 file with the longer delay to see if this helps - also look at the placement of messages on the Units EEPROM to see if messages closer to #1 respond faster than MP3s that are higher on the list …

With respect to the double announcement - no, have never figured out how to make it a single message … but since many of the messages merit repeating (to these senior ears) - I’ve let it stand as is.

I’m also going to use this post to insert a note about what to do if one or more of the Aeon Labs receiver units stops sending the door chime or message that someone is at the front door. This happens because the door bell transmitter button and the receiving or messaging unit have “un-linked” … to remedy this … press the Volume - and Volume + buttons at the same time, on the “malfunctioning” receiver unit - you will see that the led indicator on that unit will start flashing rapidly … then within 8 seconds, press the wireless doorbell button once to complete pairing.

Hope this helps.

Okay, here is the challenge I am facing. I have setup a PLEG condition to send me a notification if the doorbell button has been pressed. The trigger is the “device turned on” which obviously comes from the doorbell being activated from the button press. Thing is, I would like to also utilize a scenes with different messages just as this thread is all about. Here is the rub… all the scenes create a “trigger” and I cannot filter out what is a doorbell button press and what is a scene activation. I thought perhaps I could detect the configuration variable and use that to filter, but I am not sure just and my trial and errors seem to be errors only. Thanks in advance.

Hi Nutron,

If you can give me a specific example of what you would like to do perhaps I can help work it out.

Hi coticon,

Thank you for the offer. Here is what I am trying to achieve:

To begin with I have PLEG sending me a VeraAlert text message anytime my 78yr old mother’s doorbell button has been pressed.
At 4:30Pm each day I want my mother’s doorbell to announce “It is time to take your medication”. When this happens I do not want to receive a VeraAlert message that my mother’s doorbell has been rung.

Problem seems to be that any time the doorbell is tripped, I get the VeraAlert. I think I may have a work around using virtual switches but I am open to any suggestions for the best way to achieve this.

Thanks again in advance,

Nutron

Hi Nutron,

Sorry for talking so long to get back to you … been at the hospital downstate with my Mother (97 yrs old).

From what I am reading from your example you just want a message announced at 4:30 PM with no doorbell activation message - perhaps you can suspend the doorbell message at 4:30 by creating two scenes for regular doorbell message activation time periods one for Midnight to 4:29 PM and one for 4:31 PM to Midnight. Then create a scene that just transmits your message at 4:30PM.

A little klugey but it might work.

I have my Vera Plus set to trigger this doorbell when a door or window is opened. I get significant delay (up to 15 seconds) or no trigger at all and hence no doorbell to notify me that a door or window has been opened.

Is this the doorbell? The Vera Plus? The Vision ZD2102-5 (monoprice sells them as a generic) Sensors? Something else? Like the location of the Vera Plus or configuration of the mesh network? I have several sensors on various windows and doors on the ground floor of the house and the doorbell itself, all within pretty close proximity of each other. This is the primary reason for doing the installation, well it gets my foot in the door for spending money home automation with my wife, so if the WAF isn’t high on this then it goes no further. As much as we are doing this to keep intruders out, we’re doing it to keep teenagers IN! Not having the bell sound pretty much defeats the purpose all together but a slight (1 second or less) delay would be tolerable.

I’m new to home automation but very experienced with computers and networks… and techie forums. You’ll find me posting all the time at avsforum and thegreenbutton forum…

TIA for any assistance here.

[quote=“Miamijerry, post:8, topic:190156”]Is it possible to have the message repeat every 15 minutes until the event ends.

Such as a "SM-103 z-wave switch tells the Vera3 that a door is unlocked and the Aeon Labs ZW056-A announces “Please lock the door” every 15 minutes until someone locks the door ??[/quote] why ot just have you system lock it for you:P

I’ve got two of these doorbells that I’m trying to use to play messages. I’ve found that both of the devices seem to “stutter” at times, but not all the time. For example, if the message is “All doors are now locked”, I’ll hear “All do-, All do-, Al doors are now locked”.

Has anyone else seen this?

I have quite a few devices on my z-wave network. I’m wondering if the command from my VeraPlus is bouncing around the mesh and arriving more than once at the doorbell?

Maybe this is what’s going on for the earlier poster that was hearing entire messages repeat?

As the creator of this post I have also seen this happen intermittently (about once every 2 months) on random messages of the 40 that I have it programmed to “say”. Since it happens relatively infrequently I have not paid much attention to it but I can say in retrospect that I can not identify a pattern to which messages will do this or when it will happen. I’m sorry not to be of any more help but I just wanted to let you know that there was someone else who also experiences what you are reporting.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately for me it’s every day, although not every message, so it’s pretty annoying.

I guess I’ll just try to put a few seconds of silence at the beginning of each message, that way the stuttering won’t produce any sound.

That seems like a very good approach - let me know how it works.

I tried at first putting 2 seconds of silence at the start of the MP3 files, but that wasn’t quite enough. I’ve got 3 seconds in there now, and that has been working.

Happy about this - it is an excellent solution … although not sure why you have experienced this so frequently. Did you try to move the doorbell units to other locations and even orientations (e.g. button up vs down)? I found that 2 of the 3 that I have were so sensitive that when they did not work on my initial installation (and this is of the bell only - not even the zwave interface), I almost returned them. But at the last minute I discovered that changing the outlet that they were plugged into made all of the difference.

I saw the two I had were very sensitive to the positioning between the button and the main unit, but I didn’t really care as I wasn’t going to use the button.

There was no difference in behavior in the zwave commands in terms of orientation or distance from controller.

It’s something that got worse as I added more devices to my zwave mesh. Perhaps coincidence, but I think it’s traffic related. Maybe the doorbell is getting the play command more than once (other devices like a switch being turned on or off probably would not care about getting commands repeated). Or maybe the doorbell has a design limitation where it is getting disrupted by also being a repeater while it is playing.