A Doorbell and Alert System all in One

One other possibility that comes to mind - since each Zwave unit also acts as a repeater, signals arriving from other units, at different times might be causing the multiple triggering as you indicated … I have found in installing my units that enrolling that new unit at the location where it will be used (i.e. moving Vera to the unit rather that the other way around), is critical because when the mesh is set up for the new device it will do so using the devices closest to the set up location. I discovered that bringing the unit to Vera to enroll and then installing it in a different location caused me many headaches until I changed my procedure. Hope this helps.

I liked your write up so much I duplicated it (kinda). I have five doorbells now and am trying to get them each to announce something. When I run through the ZeroBrane debugger it works perfectly. However when I put the code into the “scene” and wait for the LUUP engine to restart and then run it nothing happens? I have attached the code if you have any interest and time to look at it I would appreciate it. My next step is to link my Echo and regular doorbell to create a barking dog sound anytime the door bell is rung or when the DSC security system is armed and the Echo hears any unusual noise!

Thanks,

P.S It took me forever to figure out that I needed to add some blank space at the end of the announcement to not have it cut off.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Compliments on your code, it is well written and excellently documented. Unfortunately unless I try to run the code, I am not learned enough to be able to visually pick out the specific point where it is failing.

If any other reader can help here it would be much-appreciated.

What I am now going to do is something which I personally dislike when I see it on other forums and in other posts - and that is to suggest a different (preliminary) approach - knowing that you want your question answered with solution to what you are currently doing - but being unable to do the latter and wanting to help, please forgive me for the following personal violation:

The way I would have implemented the dog bark would have been to get it to firstly work on the Vera - Speaker link, and then develop from there - example - you have a fire alarm that when triggered will send to the speaker whose ALTId is 15 a dog bark to alert you that there is a problem :

1. On your computer, create an MP3 file with the dog bark.
  2. Name the MP3 file with a short name e.g. 4.mp3 (No spaces - note that the number 4 is NOT what you will use to call up the file - as I will explain later).
  3. Attach your speaker unit to your computer and place the MP3 file into the same directory as the other MP3s that are currently there.
  4. In Vera, create a scene based on the fire alarm’s triggering (keep the scene simple since all you want to do at first is get the sound file to play) - you can increase the complexity of your code after you have accomplished this task.
  5. In the LUA box for that scene copy and paste the following line -
    luup.call_action(‘urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1’,‘SendData’,{Node=‘15’,Data=‘112 4 6 1 X’},1)
    Where ‘15’ corresponds to the ALTId of the speaker
  6. Substitute a number in place of X and the way you will ascertain that number is to do the following:

IMPORTANTLY NOTING: the file number that you want to have speaker ALTId 15 play and substitute in the place of 'X" is NOT 4 (i.e. the name of the 4.MP3 file) but the sequence number of that 4.mp3 file in the speaker’s directory. The way I got the correct message was that I had to play all of the messages (of the 48 that I have), starting with the number 1 - which I manually triggered and wrote down which sound played; followed by 2, 3, 4 etc until I knew which sounds were associated with which number.

Also note that the number you will use for one speaker has nothing to do with the number of the file you will have to enter for a second speaker. If you want the dog bark to play on other speakers you will have to repeat the above process for each.

1. The desired sound should play - if it doesn’t you have a space where none should exist or vsa vsa.
  2. Now that you have an anchor point i.e. the speaker announcing the correct message when the scene triggers, then start to build your code to achieve what you want to accomplish.

Please let me know if I can be of any more help; or better yet, that you got it to work.

GOOD LUCK!