aeon labs energy meter G2

I don’t find the usb port in this new version. Any idea?
It detects the master and clamps as generic IO. The problem should be related to the firmware.

I had the same problems as you with my 3 clamp generation 2 energy meter.

I got it working doing this (device window/Advanced tab):

1. Change device-type to: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:PowerMeter:1
  2. Change device_file to: D_PowerMeter1.xml
  3. Change category_num to: 21 (I am not sure if needed but my other HEM gen1 have this number)

Change these values in main device window and in all clamp windows and save changes. Reload and now you should have almost working energy meter. After that open main meter window and go to Device Options tab and add Configuration settings. My settings are in attached picture. If you don’t have 3 clamp meter then you should change value for variable 101. You can find more info from this: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3366.msg94937.html#msg94937

I still have some minor problems. Main energy consumption (main device window) is not updating in the same time as clamps, it takes some time. Problem is probably that my unit has firmware 3.40. (I have also gen1 unit and it is working after I updated its firmware to version 3.67).

So I would also like to know how to update firmware for generation 2 HEM, there are no USB port??

[quote=“wo984c, post:1, topic:175363”]I don’t find the usb port in this new version. Any idea?
It detects the master and clamps as generic IO. The problem should be related to the firmware.[/quote]

Did you slide off battery cover and look inside for usb port?

Gen2 HEM don’t have battery cover, you can’t use batteries.

http://www.electronichouse.com/product/details/home_energy_meter/

It works.

Device_type: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:PowerMeter:1
Device_file: D_PowerMeter1.xml

101:6924 (2 clamps)
3:0
111:10

Thanks…

A lot of this helped thanks! I had a horrible problem with my Vera when I set parameter 3 = to 0 though, this caused a repeating LUA crash and the orange light would not stay lit, this pretty much broke my Vera until I turned off the HEM, rebooted my Vera, put it in exclude mode, turned back on the HEM and immediately pressed the Z-wave button to exclude it. Then included it back, and immediately set 3 = to 1. Note that the HEM remembers 3 = 0 after excluding it from the network, so just doing this alone wont fix anything.

For the record I could not find a USB port anywhere on my G2, I even unscrewed the back cover and looked at the circuit board, which did not appear to have any USB connection whatsoever. Very irritating, as I feel a newer firmware could have prevented a lot of this need to set custom parameters.

Thanks to the helpful information here I also got my Aeon Energy Meter G2 (DSB28-ZWxx) working with these instructions.

• changing Device Type, Device File, Category
  • changing parameters 101, 111, 4,5,6
  • I did not change parameter 3 since someone else reported an issue with it.

Now my Energy meter reports fine, EXCEPT the KWH value on the “parent” device fluctuates.
e.g. Clamp 1 reports 0.5 KWH, Clamp 2 reports 0.2 KWH, and the Main HEM reports either 0.7 KWH (which is correct) or something like 122 KWH (way off?.)

This switches back to the right value occasionally, but mainly the KWH reading of the main (parent) HEM stays at the wrong value.
Has anybody else experienced this and found a solution?
Could it be that I have to set parameter 3 explicitly to 0?
The other reading seem to update based on the time interval I have set (10 secs.) and seem to be correct.

Thanks,
Mike

Same problem here and I have not found how to correct it.

However I am quite satisfied to the meter. If I add clamp readings together (3 clamp meter) I get value which is quite accurate compared to my electricity company value (value that they are invoicing me). Difference is only 1 to 2 %.

Today total sum kWh value is 892 kWh (electricity company value is 908 kWh). Probably one day is missing from meter value compared to company value, so readings are quite good.

Main value on the ?parent? device is about 225…232 kWh. It is also fluctuating but it has never been over 300 kWh (I have not seen bigger values). Total watt reading seems be be correct.

Thanks Jukka for confirming this.
Now I am not sure if this is an issue with Aeon Labs or with VeraLite/Mios.

Is there a way to log the raw values that the Aeon HEM reports to MiCasaVerde?
If it’s an issue with AeonLabs, I’d like to report it to them and get it resolved hopefully.
I am quite new with VeraLite, just set it up yesterday, so forgive the noob question.

Thanks,
Mike

I have a G2 2 clamp meter (3.64) and have the same KWH problem. The parent reads crazy high KWH, but the Watts is correct… The clamps read correct KWH and watts.

For the watts to read correct, I have 1 set to 120 while I have a 220 system here in China. But I think this is because actually each power leg is really 120v coming into my bus. I’m not a sparky, but this is my guess.

The KWH is off the wall and it would be nice to find a solution. I just reset the KWH 5 minutes ago, and it is reporting 1532KWH used!

Try setting Parameter 101 to 6915 (I have a US 2-Clamp version).
With that setting the kWh seem to be stable and correct here for me.

I stumbled across this by accident. I have the values reporting every 10 seconds, and so far it has been correct

Here are my parameter settings:

Parm 3: 7
Parm 4: 20
Parm 5: 10
Parm 6: 10
Parm 101: 6915
Parm 111: 10

With these settings the values are accurate for me and update pretty quickly (within a few seconds).

As soon as I change parm 101 to something > 6915, then the kWh reading starts to fluctuate again.
Also I cannot really verify that the “delta” detection works, I set the threshold to 10W/20W but I cannot really tell if it works

It seems to me that maybe the document referenced here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3366.msg94937.html#msg94937
is not 100% applicable for the HEM Gen2 that we have. It seems the parameter 111 is behaving differently.

Does anyone have experience with the Aeon Labs Tech support? It would be great to get an accurate config document for the HEM Gen2 hardware.

Quick update here:

So it seems the Aeon Labs Energy Meter G2 (DSB28-ZWxx) has the bits for parameters 101-103 shifted around because:

• it does not have a battery
  • it can also report V (Volts) and A (Amps) it seems (which is pretty cool actually)

I got this information from Aeon Labs Tech support.
I don’t think the V and A fields are supported by the MiCasaVerde implementation yet, so in my case as soon as I set a bit that corresponds to the voltage setting, the kWh value starts to fluctuate.

So the right parameter value for Parameter 101 at the moment is 6915.
That produces stable and correct kWh readings for me.

Aeon Labs is still looking into a bug related to reporting the voltage and amps.

Now the next question is, what and how needs to be modified (D_PowerMeter1.xml?) in order to include the Volts and Amps field in the UI?
I am pretty new at this, but I might give it a try over the next few days.

Hope that helps,
Mike

[quote=“mikewop, post:11, topic:175363”]Try setting Parameter 101 to 6915 (I have a US 2-Clamp version).
With that setting the kWh seem to be stable and correct here for me.

I stumbled across this by accident. I have the values reporting every 10 seconds, and so far it has been correct

Here are my parameter settings:

Parm 3: 7
Parm 4: 20
Parm 5: 10
Parm 6: 10
Parm 101: 6915
Parm 111: 10

With these settings the values are accurate for me and update pretty quickly (within a few seconds).

As soon as I change parm 101 to something > 6915, then the kWh reading starts to fluctuate again.
Also I cannot really verify that the “delta” detection works, I set the threshold to 10W/20W but I cannot really tell if it works

It seems to me that maybe the document referenced here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3366.msg94937.html#msg94937
is not 100% applicable for the HEM Gen2 that we have. It seems the parameter 111 is behaving differently.

Does anyone have experience with the Aeon Labs Tech support? It would be great to get an accurate config document for the HEM Gen2 hardware.[/quote]

Thanks Mikewop

I think your settings have stabilized my HEM

Very new at this. Have 2 G2’s (DSB28-ZWxx) on 2 panels (both US 2 clamp models). Sporadic results. Never been able to get all the clamps to read both the Watts and the KWH. Initial install had all the Watt readings but not all the KWH for all the clamps. Latest reinstall has all of the KWH but still missing the Watts on one clamp (it does show the KWH). Have never been able to adjust any parameters…get “Failed at: Setting user configuration” every time I attempt that. Trying to adjust parameters through Device Options tab as shown on the attached picture…is that correct. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi “AnotherRookie”,

from looking at your screen shots, in the “CurrentValue” column it seems to me that the HEM never really got updated with your settings.
I had the same error “Failed: setting user configuration”, it seems the HEM is pretty sensitive about good network connectivity.
Try to move your Vera/VeraLite closer to the HEM temporarily and then do a “Configure Node Right Now” until that is successful and the values in the “Current Value” column match the values in the “Desired Value” column.
After that is successful, you may want to turn the auto-configuration off (on the “Settings” tab set “Automatically configure” to “no”), so that it doesn’t try to reconfigure the HEM anymore.
Also I have since learned from Aeon Labs Tech support that the Parameter 3 should be set to 0 for this unit.
Attached are my current settings that are stable for me.
(Not 100% sure if parameters 4,5,6 really matter if parameter 3 is set to 0, but they don’t seem to hurt it either).

Hope that works!
Mike

Thanks for the feedback Mike. I have placed the Veralite next to the meters. I have removed and reinstalled the devices, but I cannot get the parameters to change…always get the same “Failed at: Setting user configuration” message when trying to change a parameter. I have Version 3,3,40,1,12. Could that be the problem? Has anyone found out how to update the firmware on this device without a USB connection?

As an update, I have 2 of these 2-clamp devices on 2 panels next to each other. I have removed and reinstalled several times. Now, it appears that both devices may be reporting the Watts and KWH for the mains, but for each Clamp, I think they are reporting the voltage in the KWH position and nothing under Watts. I say I think it is voltage because all 4 clamps have been reporting in the 122.5 to 124.5 range for KWH.

[quote=“Jukka, post:8, topic:175363”]Same problem here and I have not found how to correct it.

However I am quite satisfied to the meter. If I add clamp readings together (3 clamp meter) I get value which is quite accurate compared to my electricity company value (value that they are invoicing me). Difference is only 1 to 2 %.

Today total sum kWh value is 892 kWh (electricity company value is 908 kWh). Probably one day is missing from meter value compared to company value, so readings are quite good.

Main value on the ?parent? device is about 225…232 kWh. It is also fluctuating but it has never been over 300 kWh (I have not seen bigger values). Total watt reading seems be be correct.[/quote]

Can you post what value you have for 103? I think I set it incorrectly.

Hello “AnotherRookie”,

Sorry to hear you are running into so many issues.
My firmware version is 3.3.40.1.12

I now remember that I got the configuration error also when one of the parameters was wrong. It seems the HEM does some internal validation when saving.
So maybe some parameter got set to an invalid value at some point (maybe even due to a network glitch at the time) and not it doesn’t take any new config.

One more thing you could try: reset the HEM to its factory default configuration:
From the documentation:
"

1. Make sure the HEM G2 has been connected to the power supply
  2. Press and hold the Z-Wave button for 10 seconds
  3. If the HEM G2 LED blinks slowly, it indicates reset success, otherwise please repeat step 2.
    Note: Reset HEM G2 to factory default settings will:
  • sets HEM G2 to not in Z-Wave network state
  • delete the association setting and power measure value
  • restore the configuration settings to the default
    "

Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself, but I copied this straight from the engineering document.
(There is a draft engineering spec for the HEM G2 but I cannot post it here as per request of Aeon Labs. But they said they would give the document if a user directly requests it - contact their tech support).
On another note, I think you are correct, the value you see is the voltage reported in the kWH field. The G2 seems like it actually can report voltage and Amps, and this maybe a bug in the current firmware. As son as I had the bit set for voltage (in the parameter 101), the values would switch between kWh and 122.xxx,
Aeon Labs said they were able to reproduce this, but maybe you might want to contact them too to get some more traction. In any event, you probably need to get your config working first.

PS: I would try all of this on one of your meters first, unplug the other one for the time being to rule out any interference. Try to get one of them to work first.

Let me know how it goes…
Mike

bucko

When I first configure my HEM GEN2 I didn’t use parameter 103 at all. Only parameter 101 was modified. Today I use also parameter 103 and it is the same as parameter 101. However it didn’t change anything.

When I read above post I realized what my total fluctuating kWh reading is (thanks mikewop and AnotherRookie). It is the voltage reading. We have here 240 V nominal voltage. My summer cottage is almost in the end of power line and therefore the voltage value is lower due to long line (225…232V).

I put a pdf from Chris at Aeon Labs explaining the use and config of parameters 101-103. I hope this can help solve out config problems. Go to

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3366.225.html and dl from my post #230.

Then please post your success/failures for us. I am trying to muddle through this, but don’t fully understand how to do.