Alexa TTS (Text-To-Speech) [and more] plug-in for Vera

That’s a sing that announcements are not working. I’m not sure if Sonos are supported, but you have to specifically enable announcements. As per Amazon docs:

Alexa excludes that device from announcement delivery:

* Announcements are disabled. (To enable or disable announcements in the Alexa app, go to  **Settings → Device Settings →  *device_name*  → Communications → Announcements** .)
* The device is actively in a call or drop-in.
* The device is in Do Not Disturb mode.

Manage Announcements in the Alexa mobile app. Go to Settings > Device Settings > device_name >Communications > Announcements to configure settings for each Alexa device in your household.

thats a shame.
I will have to stick with node-red for turning smart home devices on, as it’s easier to build a dynamic system. i.e. i dont have to set a routine, i can call straight to the device. All i have to do is send a local http request, with a payload with the device name.

Not taking anything away from this plugin, as its pretty amazing.

Announcements, language, commands, SSML and sound files are a nice touch. It’s good to have routines to, but devices would have been the icing on the cake.

Thankyou again for your efforts.

My Sonos devices do support the announcements features, and are enabled in app. Separate TTS announcements are working, for all devices (Sonos and echo) but even synced TTS for even my echoes aren’t working. I have confirmed all have announcements enabled BTW im using vera

Ahh well I wanted synced TTS but I’m on Vera so… :slight_smile:
C

probably why im not able to get it working either

1 Like

Yep, announcements are openluup only.

@ElCid no worries, I can’t do what the script cannot do. At the moment single devices are not supported. I don’t have a problem with that, since I don’t get devices that are alexa only and I prefer local ones. I use routines mostly for tts, music, weather, and so on.

Is it a possibility in the future to support in Vera or is that dependant on 7.32

We need 7.32 or a dev beta repo. The moment they release 7.32, we’re ready to switch.

1 Like

ok i received my otp from amazon today while at work. my Automate flow automatically forwarded it to vera and my TTS cookie was renewed.

So i will upload my flow to automate community and link it here later.

Link to Automate flow for otp renewal, just ask if you need help setting up

https://llamalab.com/automate/community/flows/33863
for the device that receives the sms.

the flow will send a local http request if connected to the home wifi.

There is a config block, enter email (for cloud message), device (VeraAlexa device id), vera local ip and your wifi ssid (for knowing if localor not).

this flow can send a cloud message if not local, but requirs a http forwarder and cloud message receive block. there is an example here
https://llamalab.com/automate/community/flows/32493
for the device on vera’s local network, to receive cloud messages.

3 Likes

Installed files per instructions, created device, and get the following error:
“System error : Device: 38. Fail to load implementation file D_VeraAlexa1.xml”
The new device does not have any advanced variables.
Tom

How did you download / upload the files?

C

Download: Right click, “save link as” for each file.
Upload: Develop apps, Luup files, Upload.
Tom

The implementation file should be the one starting with I_, so change it to I_VeraAlexa1.xml. Be sure Device File is instead set to D_VeraAlexa1.xml.

I’d grab the zip file and decompress it, personally…

C

Folks, I just got a Show 8 and it’s brilliant … however I cant get it to talk using TTS which is driving me nuts. Any ideas (all my other echo’s work fine)?

Are you able to make it with a routine? If yes, this should work. Pay attention to the case of the device.

If you’re not able to use it, send me some logs (minus the username/password - I will shortly push a new version with sanitized logs very soon).

I’ve also got jq compiled and I can share it with anyone who want to try the advanced version. I just extracted it from my Vera, so it will be the version coming with 7.32.

1 Like

I’ll have another play tonight when I get home from work and I’ll capture some logs too.

Ok problem has been identified as the name of the device has not taken over and the old echo is still responding as “Kitchen” despite being renamed to “Spare Echo” via the Alexa App. :man_facepalming:

Yeah, been there, done that.
Once stabilized, I will invest in more things, like the ability to see all the device in a variable, and the support for last alexa.

1 Like

Any idea how to fix it? I’ve even blown away the “Spare Echo”, setup from scratch plus put it in a different group, and it still responds to “Kitchen” from the TTS plugin and the “Kitchen” Show 8 remains mute. Sending TTS to the “Spare Echo” does nothing either.

I can drop in on the “Kitchen” from the other echo’s and my phone and it responds correctly. Im stumped as to why TTS is still being routed to the “Spare Echo”.