Altsteon working on UI7

[quote=“BillC, post:20, topic:186379”]Ok, that helped. Slowly making progress, but now I think I need to shut down the original (factory) Insteon process. I can’t find where to do that

thanks

Bill[/quote]
I’m not sure I can help much with that, since I never turned on the factory insteon. I do know that you control it through the settings->insteon page of your vera, but as to the exact process once you get there, I don’t know. Maybe someone else can help with that?

Now I have native Insteon shut down. I think I have altsteon installed.
I figured out how to add devices as well, but I am not sure if I have alsteon running

thanks

Bill

[quote=“BillC, post:22, topic:186379”]Now I have native Insteon shut down. I think I have altsteon installed.
How do you run the alsteon interface to add devices?

thanks

Bill[/quote]
The first thing you need to do is start the Altsteon daemon. This will all be done from the shell access of the vera. To launch the daemon, you simply issue the command:

/overlay/sbin/altsteon Note that this might not work, depending on what “interface” your PLM shows up as. you might need to change that command to something like:

/overlay/sbin/altsteon -p /dev/ttyUSB1

trying different numbers at the end until the output indicates success. In my experience, it has always been ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1, almost always ttyUSB0. That is the default if you just run the first command I gave.

Once the output of that indicates it is running and talking to the plm, you can go into the command interface of altsteon with the command

overlay/sbin/altsteon_cli

from there is where you issue commands such as

add 11.22.33

to add devices to the PLM (see documentation)
to get out of the altsteon_cli, issue the command

quit

you will also need to add the proper code to the startup lua to launch altsteon at boot time, that procedure is in the altsteon_instructions.txt file, as is the procedure for adding the devices to the Vera interface once they are added to the insteon plm.

OK!!!

Now I feel like a real idiot.

It all just clicked except now I am getting
root@MiOS_45002367:~# altsteon -p /dev/ttyUSB0
root@MiOS_45002367:~# Debug Level : 0
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:01] - --| Starting altsteon!
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:01] - Running on non-apple Hardware
[ERROR] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - PLM didn’t respond!
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - Modem info :
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - cflag = 00000CBE
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - oflag = 00000000
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - iflag = 00000804
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - lflag = 00000000
[ERROR] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - Failed to initialize PLM.

I have native insteon turned off. I am not sure if I have to kill the process or just remove the interface from the GUI

so close

Thanks so much for getting me to this point.

[quote=“BillC, post:24, topic:186379”]OK!!!

Now I feel like a real idiot.

It all just clicked except now I am getting
root@MiOS_45002367:~# altsteon -p /dev/ttyUSB0
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:01] - --| Starting altsteon!
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:01] - Running on non-apple Hardware
[ERROR] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - PLM didn’t respond!
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - Modem info :
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - cflag = 00000CBE
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - oflag = 00000000
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - iflag = 00000804
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - lflag = 00000000
[ERROR] [3/25/2016 - 18:30:11] - Failed to initialize PLM.

I have native insteon turned off. I am not sure if I have to kill the process or just remove the interface from the GUI

so close

Thanks so much for getting me to this point.[/quote]
Couple of possibilities come to mind. The first is exactly what you said: the native insteon is still running. Try a full reboot of your vera (I typically unplug, although I’m pretty sure there is a “reboot” button in the network settings or the like) and then check the insteon tab under settings again to make sure it still shows as off/disabled.

The other is that the modem isn’t on ttyUSB0 - that’s where you might need to try ttyUSB1 or the like instead.

Of course, this all assumes that the PLM is functioning and talking to the vera, but if you were using the native insteon before, then this is a safe bet.

Still, progress!

correction
root@MiOS_45002367:~# altsteon -t 2 -p /dev/ttyUSB0
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 20:27:25] - --| Starting altsteon!
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 20:27:25] - Running on non-apple Hardware
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 20:27:25] - PLM is devcat 3, subcat 21, address 3D.9A.25 running software rev. 158.

its running, sees the devices, but it won’t recognize the traps from the leak sensor. I can arm and disarm but no alerts
It does see the button press on the leak sensor, i get

[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 20:29:10] - 37.86.b1 is open.
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 20:29:11] - Broadcast cmd1 = 11 cmd2 = 01
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 20:29:11] - 37.86.b1 is open.
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 20:29:11] - Broadcast cmd1 = 06 cmd2 = 00
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 20:29:11] - Processing : cmd1 = 06, cmd1 = 01
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 20:29:11] - Broadcast cmd1 = 06 cmd2 = 00
[INFO ] [3/25/2016 - 20:29:11] - Processing : cmd1 = 06, cmd1 = 01

so darn close

Bill

Well, I’ve never worked with a leak sensor, but to me that looks like normal operation, unless you are saying that there are events occurring on the sensor that aren’t showing up there. Altsteon doesn’t actually do anything with the data it receives- it’s just a bridge from insteon to vera. If you want alerts, you still have to set up the vera interface to generate the appropriate alerts in response to the events you are interested in.

That said, while the support in altsteon for insteon devices blows away the built-in vera support, it still isn’t perfect. It is possible that the functionality you want simply doesn’t exist on the vera. Hopefully not, but possible.

On a different note, I noticed that you used the -t 2 switch. Given that the default value is 10 minutes, it seems to me that putting that down at 2 seconds would be excessive, probably resulting in a high load on your vera, not to mention the insteon network. In fact, I’ve never found a reason to change that value - when the devices are properly linked to the PLM (insteon linking, not altsteon), the devices generally notify the PLM, and thus altsteon/vera when something happens, with no need of polling. On the devices I have where this is not the case (such as when a fanlinc state is changed via another insteon device), i’ve simply set up a vera scene to trigger a poll of the fanlinc when the other devices does its thing. All that, however, is simply my opinion, and you are, of course, free to set up your system however works best for you :slight_smile:

Thanks for the insights. You are right, I will change the timeout to default settings.
I have the device set up to text if it’s tripped but it doesn’t text. I saw the exact model listed in the .txt so I was hoping it would work. I may still be misunderstanding some pieces of this so I really appreciate all the help on this. Eventually I’ll get it all figured out.

You mentioned PLM linking as opposed to altsteon linking. What’s the difference?

Thanks

Bill

[quote=“BillC, post:28, topic:186379”]You mentioned PLM linking as opposed to altsteon linking. What’s the difference?

Thanks

Bill[/quote]

By PLM linking, I mean the native insteon linking. That is, insteon devices talk directly to each other, with no need of a central controller - or, perhaps more precisely, you can set up many devices as either controllers or responders. So in my case, I have a KepadLinc and a FanLinc. I had the keypad link set up as a controller, and the fanlinc set as responder, and that works to control the fan from the KeypadLinc. I then connected my PLM to the vera, and from altsteon issued the add commands to add my keypadlinc and fanlinc (what I am referring to as altsteon linking). This worked to get the vera to talk to the devices, but the PLM/vera was still not being notified when I pressed a button on my KeypadLinc. In order to get that working, I had to use the buttons on the KeypadLinc and the PLM to set up the PLM as a responder to the KeypadLinc in addition to the FanLinc. Now that I’ve linked them at the insteon level, I see an event in altsteon/vera immediately whenever I press one of the buttons on the keypadlinc, and can set up scenes in response to said button presses.

The key being to link them as insteon controller/responder, completely apart from anything I did in Altsteon/Vera. Hopefully that helps clear things up, rather than just confusing the issue.

I think you figured out the problem!! I bet I need to link the PLM to the Sensor. The PLM talks to the sensor, but not vice versa. I have been searching and I can’t find any documentation to do that. How do I perform the PLM>sensor linking?

thanks

Bill

[quote=“BillC, post:30, topic:186379”]I think you figured out the problem!! I bet I need to link the PLM to the Sensor. The PLM talks to the sensor, but not vice versa. I have been searching and I can’t find any documentation to do that. How do I perform the PLM>sensor linking?

thanks

Bill[/quote]
While I can’t speak to your device specifically, my impression of insteon in general is that the process is to a) press and hold the set button on the controller (sensor, in your case) device for about three seconds until it beeps (assuming it has a beeper, if not there may be some light flashes or other indicator), then b) press and hold the set button on the responder (PLM in your case) for three seconds or so until it beeps. Depending on the device, however, there may be other steps. For example with my KeypadLincs, you also had to hold down the button you wanted to use as the controller. With a simple sensor, I would imagine there would just be the one set button to deal with, but that should be detailed in the documentation.

;D ;D
That did it!!!
Now I have all three leak sensors working. It was a pain and a lot of trial and error (ok mostly error) but with all the help from you guys I got it working

Thanks so much to everyone who helped. I would have never gotten it running with the help

Bill

Ok, got the sensors and lamp modules working. I have one more question (for now ;D). The keypadlinc’s are puzzling me now. I found the instructions for adding the device to the GUI, but I can’t figure how to “reverse link(or whatever you call it)” the keypadlinc to the PLM. There is no “pairing” button - only the on/off/dim buttons, so how do I link the whole keypadlinc to the PLM?

thanks

Bill

[quote=“BillC, post:33, topic:186379”]The keypadlinc’s are puzzling me now. I found the instructions for adding the device to the GUI, but I can’t figure how to “reverse link(or whatever you call it)” the keypadlinc to the PLM. There is no “pairing” button - only the on/off/dim buttons, so how do I link the whole keypadlinc to the PLM?

thanks

Bill[/quote]

Take a look at the keypadLinc Manual (https://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/2487s.pdf is one place to find it), specifically the section titled “Add KeypadLinc Button to a Scene as a Controller”. You’ll need to run through the procedure for each and every button, so it’s a bit tedious. Note that it doesn’t matter if the button is already a controller for something else, like a light - the procedure is the same. Also, you can skip step 3, since the responder is the PLM and doesn’t have any state to worry about.

Hey Tank, I have a few Insteon fanlincs and KPLs I’d like to add to my system, but have no experience with programming/setting up RPis/etc. A few questions…

Can I just load Alsteon on my Vera Edge with UI7 as it was done in the sticky post? Will it still work?

The ISY994i is A LOT more expensive than the PLM/RPi route, but is it worth it?

How would I set up the RPi to get it ready for Alsteon? Is it pretty straight forward? I’ve done some PC builds/Windows installs. Is it pretty much the same?

[quote=“Scoutmedic, post:35, topic:186379”]Hey Tank, I have a few Insteon fanlincs and KPLs I’d like to add to my system, but have no experience with programming/setting up RPis/etc. A few questions…

Can I just load Alsteon on my Vera Edge with UI7 as it was done in the sticky post? Will it still work?

The ISY994i is A LOT more expensive than the PLM/RPi route, but is it worth it?

How would I set up the RPi to get it ready for Alsteon? Is it pretty straight forward? I’ve done some PC builds/Windows installs. Is it pretty much the same?[/quote]

Yes, Altsteon will work on UI7. Confirmed on Lite/Edge/Plus. altsteon0.08 binary. I cannot answer your other questions, I just know there is support in altsteon for the devices you have. Good luck. Post back a new thread if you need to get started.

Successfully got altsteon up and working fully with the latest version: 1.7.1975

I finally got altsteon successfully running on my RPI and I can control my FanLinc using commands on the RPI. I’m having trouble integrating this into Vera/UI7.

I’ve uploaded all the files from sourceforge and created the devices for my PLM and FanLinc as instructed.

I see the newly created devices in my device list, but theres no options to control my fan. What am I missing?

I have the same issue. I can control the fanlinc from ssh, but the control section of the fanlinc in the Vera GUI is blank. There is a placeholder, but no controls.

I am running this on a Veralite.

I’ve been using Altsteon on my Vera Lite for a few years now. I’m trying to move it to a Ubuntu VM (16.04 Xenial) running on my Windows 7 PC with VMware Workstation. I’ve followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread and I’m having trouble. I can telnet to the IP of the VM via port 9805 and it connects. However, if I try to type anything after that, the telnet session closes. I used tcptrack and can see the connection pop up, but immediately closes. The Vera connection pops up the same way. The firewall is disabled on both the VM and the Win 7 machine.

I’m running the daemon with “sudo altsteon-code/altsteon-daemon/src/altsteon -r”
It appears to be starting up fine. This is logged after starting it. (I replaced the XXs). “PLM is devcat 3, subcat 21, address XX.XX.XX running software rev. 158.”

I feel like this is a simple fix, but I’m missing something.