Beta feedback Ezlo Atom v2

Okay, I have the PlugHub V2 added with devices added to the hub. I have only been able to send commands to the hub once where they actually worked. It says it is connected but no events actually get to the hub or from the hub to the app. I started with 2 devices. One switch and One dimmer. I was able during this time the hub and app were talking to get the scenes to work add, delete, function, etc. I tried to remove device from account and would not let me. I will try to remove and re-add to account again today. I will update as soon as I complete, @melih, @Ioana Thanks!

Just as some general feedback: from what Iā€™ve seen the reliability and speed of the Atom is much improved over my Vera Plus. With the plus, I often see some delay - or even, occasionally outright failure - when a scene is triggered. So far at least the Atom V2 has responded quickly and properly to every request.

The caveat here, of course, is that I donā€™t have very many devices added to the Atom as of yet, nor is it (yet) capable of becoming my primary controller. Without support for my DSC security system, which drives most of my logic, the bulk of my devices canā€™t move over. The lack of a web interface is also limiting.

EDIT: May have spoken too soon. Just now the Atom dropped offline for no reason I could determine. If I am interpreting the blinking blue light correctly (one short flash per second), it lost connection to my wireless network. After watching it blink for several minutes without it re-connecting, I power cycled it, whereupon it came right back up within a handful of seconds.

2 Likes

@Oleh Can you confirm if my previous post on this subject was sufficient, or are you still looking for something else? I would be happy to provide any additional information you want, after all, that is the whole point of a betaā€¦

Just rebooted my router, after it came back up the Atom had a flashing blue light still.

In the Vera app the Atom was showing as online however you couldnā€™t connect to it and it said something went wrong.

I had to unplug the Atom and plug it back in again and then it connected OK.

The old SDK from Espressiff we use has a problem re-connecting after restarting your router. They released a new update to their SDK and this seems to have cured the problem. When this new sdk from espressiff will be pushed is better answered by Oleg.

2 Likes

I received the plug hub and I tried to think of using it stand alone and have mixed feelings. I am thinking of adding it my Vera plus and starting from scratch to test. I have been testing Hubitat for 3 months and Iā€™m not sold on it. Too many delays in their HSM. I see at least one person added it to their Vera Plus and wonder if everything else seems to work ok. ?

I have been testing the Ezlo Atom for about 4 days, following are my results. If I donā€™t comment on something, that part of the test plan had zero anomalies.

1. The installation when flawlessly other than not having 2.4G wireless transmitter turned on on the router. After I created the 2.4G SSID, no problem.
  2. I installed a Zooz Zen20 which is a power strip with 5 switched circuits and 2 USB circuits. I used the generic zwave device and the installation worked perfectly. About everyday I notice that all 8 of the created devices have a red message after them " Device canā€™t be detected". The Ezlo can no longer manage them ( if you virtually flip a switch on the mobile app nothing happens on the real switch). I notice that if I manually power down and up the whole strip then it comes alive, all the error messages on the app go away, and the app can control the zooz power strip again. I canā€™t state whether this is a Zooz or Ezlo issue but it feels like the Atom has lost communications with the power strip. They are about 5 ft apart.
  3. I installed a GE Motion switch which is a supported device in the device list. This also installed ok with both a switch and a motion detector device installed.
  4. I created a scene that used both the wall switch and power strip with some simple logic. That all went fine but in the dashboard view the scene canā€™t be added to my favorite scenes(it doesnā€™t appear in the list of scenes). I am able to add devices to my favorite devices.
  5. I have noticed that on several occasions I have turned on a switch from the app and the app shows the light is on via the light bulb in that app illuminating. The problem is that the light is not actually on in the room. The state of the app must reliably match the state of the house. If I were away from home i would have believed the physical light is on.
  6. It feels like there is a range limit on the wifi. If I am within 10 - 20 feet of my router(line of sight), the Atom is consistently online. If I move to about 25ft away with a wood stud and sheet rock wall in between, the Atom is consistently offline. If I move close and get the Atom online then move to the more distant location, the Atom works for a while but will eventually go offline and stay that way until I get close to the router again.

Some things that I am not able to do:

1. Log into the Ezlo Atom from the web based UI, is this as expected and/or is this a future feature?
  2. I can create simple time based and device state based logic in the scene creating tab. I can not for example turn off a switch based on the home mode ( home or away). Is this the extent of scene creation or did I miss something. Is there going to be more logic in the future.
  3. There doesnā€™t appear to be a way to download plugins? Did I miss something or will this be supported in the future?

One of my next steps was to unpair every device. I started with the Zooz Zen20. I invoked the device wizard and it got to the point of the exclusion process of the device. I tried that procedure 4 or 5 times, no luck. I tried to power cycle the Zen20. The blue bar across the top of the Mobile app told me that the exclsusion process stopped. I next tried to Exit the wizard. After pushing the Exit bar a dialog box appeared asking if it was ok to exit the wizard. Pushing the OK button left me in the wizard as did the Cancel button. I had to kill the App to get out of the Device Wizard. I still have not excluded any device.
Another non-related observation, I have two controllers(my home Vera Plus and the Beta Ezlo Atom. As soon as I installed the Ezlo Atom i noticed that all of my Favorite devices are gone out of the Favorites Box when I log into my Vera Plus controller. Very strange.

1 Like

Installation of the Atom went flawlessly. The sensors and switches that I tested with had no problems either.

Now here is something that is odd and concerning. I started having problems with my main Vera Plus (the one that currently manages my home z-wave network). The Vera Plus started to become unable to detect some devices. This was sporadic. They were different devices and would go online/offline. These were not devices that I previously used to test with the Atom. They have been on my z-wave network for a long time.

I didnā€™t quite think of it, but these problems started about the same time I enrolled the Atom (Beta) on my network. I contacted Vera support a couple of days ago with a detailed account of what was happening with my Vera Plus. After looking at it, the support rep replied with the following:

Iā€™ve checked the controller but so far thereā€™s not much going on in the controller, I saw that one device around your network is trying to communicate with the controller. 192.168.xx.xxx could you please let me know what is that device.

After looking into it, it was the IP address/MAC address of the Atom that I am testing. If you look at the log, you get this message repeatedly:

10 07/30/20 15:14:35.287 mg_callback from IP:127.0.0.1:51586 /data_request id=lu_action&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1&action=LogIpRequest&IpAddress=192.168.xx.xxx&MacAddress=0c:2a:69:09:6a:6d start id: 456 <0x7446c520>
12 07/30/20 15:14:35.287 luvd_get_info_data_request starting /data_request?id=lu_action&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1&action=LogIpRequest&IpAddress=192.168.xx.xxx&MacAddress=0c:2a:69:09:6a:6d pMem 0x186a000/25600000 diff: 10440704 <0x7446c520>
10 07/30/20 15:14:35.288 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleRequest id lu_action request pMem 0x186a000/25600000 diff: 10440704 <0x7446c520>
10 07/30/20 15:14:35.288 sbrk JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest Problem with getnameinfo <0x7446c520>
08 07/30/20 15:14:35.288 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest device: 0 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1 action: LogIpRequest <0x7446c520>
08 07/30/20 15:14:35.289 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest argument serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1 <0x7446c520>
08 07/30/20 15:14:35.289 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest argument action=LogIpRequest <0x7446c520>
08 07/30/20 15:14:35.289 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest argument IpAddress=192.168.69.237 <0x7446c520>
08 07/30/20 15:14:35.289 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest argument MacAddress=0c:2a:69:09:6a:6d <0x7446c520>
27 07/30/20 15:14:35.289 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest testing zigbee urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1, urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZigbeeNetwork1, 0x15b7568 <0x7446c520>
28 07/30/20 15:14:35.290 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest testing Bluetooth urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1, urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:BluetoothNetwork1, (nil) <0x7446c520>
35 07/30/20 15:14:35.290 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::GlobalPostProcessingRules start <0x7446c520>
10 07/30/20 15:14:35.290 luvd_get_info_data_request creating file buffer /data_request?id=lu_action&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1&action=LogIpRequest&IpAddress=192.168.xx.xxx&MacAddress=0c:2a:69:09:6a:6d pMem 0x186a000/25600000 diff: 10440704 <0x7446c520>
10 07/30/20 15:14:35.291 luvd_get_info_data_request done /data_request?id=lu_action&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1&action=LogIpRequest&IpAddress=192.168.xx.xxx&MacAddress=0c:2a:69:09:6a:6d ret 0 size 152 pMem 0x186a000/25600000 diff: 10440704 took 0 info (nil) <0x7446c520>
10 07/30/20 15:14:35.292 mg_callback /data_request stop id: 456 <0x7446c520>

These log entries from the Atom keep repeating over and over without rest.

After reading the support techā€™s response, diving into the log, and seeing the repeated requests from the Ezlo Atomā€™s IP address, I powered down the Atom. Hereā€™s where it gets weird. As soon as I did that, a couple of the devices enrolled on my Vera Plus suddenly came back online. It could be a coincidence, but I find it to be a little suspicious.

Why is the Atom even communicating with my Vera Plus??? Is it possible the testing of the Atom could be interfering with my home z-wave network?

Something strange is going on. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks.

1 Like

Atom is another Z-Wave controller operating in the same frequency band. That could be causing interference. and making your Vera Plusā€™ Z-Wave communications unreliable. Is the Atom located near the Vera Plus?

2 Likes

Yes. It is approximately 4 feet away from the Vera Plus unit.

I would agree that it might be getting some interference. I wish I would have thought about that sooner (after I enrolled the Atom). I spent tons of time trying to figure out what was going on with my Vera Plus.

Do you know why the Ezlo Atom would be communicating directly with the Vera Plus as shown in the logs? Is it acting as a ā€œNeighborā€ to the other devices as well as the controller? I hope someone can answer this.

The Atom may be doing UPnP scanning. Iā€™m betting there is no UI setting to shut that down in the Atom V2.

Hi @miragejb

When beginning my first test I have had problems beetween my Vera Edge and Atom Ezlo V2.

A device FGRM222 Fibaro (Roller Shutter) enrolled in my Vera Edge was captured by Atom V2

You can read this here : Beta feedback Ezlo Atom v2 - #127 by CorsicaSouth - Beta Discussions - Ezlo Community

Extact of my message : "Suddenly my Vera Edge which control the house send me a message such as ā€œRoller Shutter Livingā€ no more connected !!!

I look VeraMobile Atom V2 and what did I saw ? !!! New device named Roller Shutter as been include in my Atom V2 !!!

It seems my Atom V2 has vampirized my Vera Edge who control the house and take control of one Roller shutter FIBARO FGRM222!!!

I donā€™t understand what happenned but now the Roller Shutter of Atom V2 drive the cover of Living"

No explanations

So is this a flaw? Or a feature? I hope itā€™s not the latter.

To continue with this sagaā€¦

My Z wave network on my viera plus seems to be screwed up. My Atom V2 is powered off and all of my Vera Plus evices look like they are online successfully.

There is no way in heck I will power The atom back on until I get some answers regarding this.

Unfortunately, my Z wave network seems to be screwed up. They are online, but when I try to send commands to some, they are unresponsive to the command.

I have about 70 Z wave devices on my controller and I donā€™t know how to fix it. Should I do a factory reset and restore the latest backup? Should I update all of the neighbor nodes in the controller? I wish there were a way to do a z wave repair. Any suggestions On how to stabilize my network after this catastrophe would be greatly appreciated.

Unless you have disabled it, your Vera Plus will do a nightly heal (repair). Iā€™d wait overnight and see how youā€™re doing in the morning.

1 Like

@Ioana at this point I have not been able to control the devices for more than about 30 seconds. I created room, scene and deleted the room and scene. If i pull the plug hub and plug it back in I can once again control the devices but only for approximately 30 seconds. I will get back at it tomorrow afternoon. I will remove and re-add to account, I will then re-add the devices and try to create rooms, scene, VOI.

Thanks, HSD99. I had read that it ā€œhealedā€ the network at night, but I wasnā€™t sure if that was real or vaporware. Weā€™ll see how it goes tomorrow.

I still would like to hear from some Ezlo Techies as to why this would be happening. Are any of you monitoring this? :slight_smile:

Iā€™m hoping itā€™s a software problem and not a hardware problem (with the V2).

Hi @miragejb,

For the events you see in your Vera Log. That looks like UPnP polling, something you should disable on your Vera. My Vera Edgeā€™s go bonkers because of the Sonos speakers on the same network and UPnP polling enabled. May reported issues with this. Make sure in Settings > Net & Wi-Fi you have ā€œAutomatic Device Detectionā€ unchecked. When that does not help try this in the Lua test panel:

-- Truly disable UPnP scanning
luup.attr_set("EnableUPnP", 0, 0)
luup.attr_set("UpnpScanning", 0, 0)
return true

At one point I had the Athom plugged into the USB port of an Ezlo Plus, that did not work well either. So some distance does seem required. Although my two Veras are sitting next to each other for years without any problem.

Cheers Rene

Thanks @reneboer.

I have UPnP turned off on the Vera Plus. However, Iā€™ll add the Luup to my startup and see if that helps. Iā€™ve also had two Veras running side-by-side for years without any problems ā€“ a Vera Plus (production) and a Vera Edge that I use for testing development.

One thing the Vera technical support person said was that it was the Ezlo Atom that was sending requests to my Vera Plus and not the other way around.

I woke up this morning and see that one of my devices went back offline. It seems to impact door locks (Schlage) more than most of the other devices. I guess the ā€œhealā€ didnā€™t work last night. Iā€™ll try to unpair it and re-add later this morning after a couple cups of coffee :smile:. Weā€™ll see if that works.

For what itā€™s worth, here is the latest response from Vera Technical Support regarding the problems I had with the Atom:

We are still developing the feature set of the Ezlo Atom V2 therefore there could be a hidden feature that will try to discover devices around the network, perhaps that couldā€™ve been the issues.

What you can do now is to unplug the Atom for couple of minutes while you try to include the door lock again to your Vera Plus, then you can plug the Atom to the outlet once again.

At this point, Iā€™m not going to turn the Atom V2 back on for a while until there are some firmware updates. Iā€™ll definitely move the Atom about 2000 feet from my production home controller.

Will the support persons that are responsible for the Beta program chime in?