Can backups be restored across firmware updates?

If I do a full backup now, do a factory reset, install the latest firmware update, then restore the backup, will that cause problem? The backup would be from the prior version, being restored on the newer version.

The question is…would the restore only restore your settings/devices/scenes/etc. or would it also restore the firmware. I’ve read conflicting reports on this and am curious to know the answer.

I had issues with the latest firmware with one of my devices. I reloaded a backup from a previous firmware version. The latest firmware stays in place with the backup bringing back your configuration before the upgrade. I have done this a few times after installing the latest firmware and suffering the usual wreckage that results.

I believe you have to re-install a downloaded copy of a previous firmware version to go back to that version. There is a page with links to various forms of firmware. Can’t find it at the moment but I know it is there.

well, the answer is yes it can. You can load up firmware from any version of firmware on a unit with almost any firmware version. I did it even when upgrading from UI5 to UI7. There could be problems with new features not working or devices not supported:
example is I used the beta firmware to add zigbee devices. Saved the backup. Downgraded firmware, restored from back up and my zigbee devices worked just fine.