Cannot write user data - System error, but not going offline

This error message has been occurring for a long time but it used to be associated with my vera edge going offline. Vera support worked on my unit a while back and it has probably only gone offline once or twice since then. Vera support also disabled by logging to a memory stick.

Starting today, I am receiving this message exactly every six minutes. I turned my pleg to bypass for a while to see if that was causing it, but nothing changed.

Can anyone think what happens every six minutes from the Vera side that could be causing this message?

user_data is written to flash every six minutes. You should post the exact message, because there are menacing-looking messages that often accompany the write but are completely benign. If it looks like this, it’s perfectly normal:

01	07/06/19 12:15:31.185	UserData::WriteUserData saved--before move File Size: 44265 save size 44265 <0x7760e520>
02	07/06/19 12:15:31.185	UserData::TempLogFileSystemFailure start 0 <0x7760e520>
02	07/06/19 12:15:31.208	UserData::TempLogFileSystemFailure 4777 res:1
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            33 May  3 21:48 /etc/cmh/HW_Key
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            33 Dec  4  2018 /etc/cmh/HW_Key2
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root             9 May  3 21:48 /etc/cmh/PK_AccessPoint
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root             7 Jun 12 22:53 /etc/cmh/PK_Account
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          4623 Jul  2 20:58 /etc/cmh/alerts.json
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root             0 Feb 20 17:46 /etc/cmh/cameras
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           488 Jul  6 03:17 /etc/cmh/cmh.conf
...etc...

Every 6 minutes, the luup engine saves the user_data.json file and does a rotation of the 6 files containing your configuration set. This message is a sign that you have a block on your flash drive which has gone bad or that your flash drive is out of space. It is very common and something to absolutely worry about because you are about to lose your data or may end up with a dead vera.

I posted quite a thread on data corruption by design from vera discussing this. The solution is to extroot before it’s too late if you are dealing with NAND flash failure.

The error @rigpapa’s is showing is different indeed and you don’t need to worry about that one. It is the cannot write user data which can be fatal.

Thank you rafale77. When vera support ‘fixed’ my offline problem, they disabled external logging, so right now I don’t have a usb memory stick even plugged into the device. So, from what you are saying, it is having trouble writing to some place actually inside the vera itself. Right now I am getting the message every six minutes so it may be dead by the time I get home.

Sorry, I meant to add that I read the entire exroot thread a few weeks ago, but came away with the concern that it would not work with an edge device. So I held back. I did order a SSD hard drive and connector and briefly installed it, but right after that the vera went offline again, so I changed it back to disable external logging. Any thoughts or ideas will be welcomed and appreciated. I may even be willing to get a very plus just so I can exroot it.

Huh… yeah I remember you posting about the edge… I don’t have a working one to look at the extroot process step by step and have no idea as to why it is failing. My best recommendation is to make a backup first. SSH into your unit and see how much space you have left with a “df”. The reason why you might be out of space could be because of the excessive logging which is no longer going into a USB flash drive but is writing on the flash of the vera itself so there is a chance that your drive is still fine but you just have no room left for the vera to function as it should.