Controller Down, Controller UP Notifications

Oh dear. I do feel for you :frowning:
C

Still nobody else suffering with this issue? Vera is telling me it’s Spectrum. Spectrum says they don’t see anything wrong. This is really killing me…

1 Like

Certainly I’ve not had one for as long as I can recall

C

This is still an issue. 11:33am received a ‘Controller Up’ message w/o ever receiving a ‘Controller Down’ message. So not fixed. Running the latest firmware, and also on Spectrum. I also use IPSec between my firewalls and that has not flapped (nor does the Vera connection traverse it at any time). So Spectrum is indeed stable and this must be an issue either with Vera servers or logic.

There’s a slight flaw in your logic unless the entire route between your firewalls is the same as the route between your Vera and Mios (which it clearly isn’t)

Given there are two common factors here (Mios and Spectrum) would be interesting to see if anyone else sharing both those factors is having issues. (i.e. anyone on Spectrum)

My bet is there’s a screwed routing table somewhere, but hey.

C

Thanks polkikrol, I’m so desperate for a solution to this! If anyone else has any feedback I would appreciate it. Here is the latest between myself & support:

Me:

Well here is what we know:

Most, if not all, of my controllers are doing this. Some way more than others.

They tend to drop in flurries so there does seem to be something somewhere else that’s causing this issue.

But my clients other internet devices are not dropping like this so there appears to be something in your software that is sensitive to whatever is happening, that our other devices are not.

So you can blame the internet connection, or your software. Since other devices aren’t having a problem it points to your software. I just can’t believe that there is no answer to this in the logs or somewhere.

Have YOU tried reaching out to Spectrum? You are selling devices that their system seems to be knocking down. Obviously this would include more users than myself. Maybe they will talk to you or give you to a different tech support which could work with you on a b2b basis.

I will install the server reset code on my other controllers. Meanwhile please continue to search for a solution to this.

Support:

Hello Skye,

After reviewing many controllers without fiding the problem and also changing servers, making the controller update the connection would be our best option.

This is all happening because of something else not within the controller since you have stated that this happens to all your controllers, right?

It is difficult to troubleshoot every single controller but we have tried with many controllers.

From our end, there’s not much we can try, I really encourage you to set that scene for all controllers since at least the controller is still reporting to our servers with that and before it would stop doing it.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Leonardo Soto.

I’ll add a “me too” here: I’ve had this issue on my VeraPlus since I installed it (2016). Looking through e-mail logs I get 3-4 up/down messages per day. My Comcast Business Internet connection is generally stable (<0.1% packet loss, ~6-7ms latency to the CMTS, ~8ms to Google’s CDN, etc.) so that is not the culprit.

• Mark

Count me in also. I’ve had the Controller Down/Controller Up problem since installing my Vera Plus. Support said the problem was fixed in the new firmware but when I got to my vacation home and upgraded to the newest firmware, the problem is still there. The controller is not down, my internet connection is working just fine with my other automation controller (ISY994), and when the Vera controller is reported down, I test inbound and outbound connections and they are working just fine. Will Vera never get this thing fixed?

I called Vera support and they logged onto my Vera Plus and did something to it then it rebooted. After this, I didn’t get the controller up/down email for a while and I was beginning to think they had fixed it but sadly, the controller up/down emails have started again. When the support guy was on the phone, he said that he would call back in a day to see if the problem was fixed but I haven’t heard a thing from them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get rid of the messages?

disable the notification in user account - notification settings - vera offline alert

Update: My client with the the worst controller I manage switched to a different ISP and this issue didn’t change so it’s not Spectrum. I finally got support to replace the controller and that seems to have done it. Previously the controller would go down/up at least a couple of times a week and sometime multiple times per day. Since replacing the controller nearly a month ago it has only been down & up once. I have 4 or 5 of these things that are really bad, which I hope to replace and see if I get similar results.

To me this indicates some issues with QC of the Vera Edge controllers.

I’ve had 7 “Controller down” and 1 “Controller up” so far today. So this is still going on. I also had 2 Luup reloads earlier ( I have set up a scene at Luup startup to notify me it has been invoked). For two of the “Controller down” incidents I, by chance, was connected to the security cameras at the same property and there was no break in connectivity that I could detect.

Veraplus, v7.31

The controller we replaced is still doing good. Getting ready to do some of our other worst ones.

Yeah I had some as well. Also all sorts of odd responses from HA bridge.

C

Latest conversation with support about 5 of our controllers:

This last one only had one disconnection today, nothing major was done to it and it appears to be fine for now.

Note: Most of them didn’t have more than one disconnection during a week.

For how long have your clients have these units?

If they are more than one year old, we cannot replace them.

Best regards,

Seriously? “This last one only had one disconnection today”. “Most of them didn’t have more than one disconnection per week”. Are you saying that only one disconnection per day is good? that my clients should need to reboot these controllers every week? That that is normal? This is ridiculous.

Look, we have about 30 of these things. I would think you would want to support a client who is installing so many of your systems! About 20% of those have been having these problems, most of them since they were installed. For a while the word was that it was a firmware issue. Litterally that was on teh known issues list for over a year so I patiently waited for that to come around. Finally you said it was resolved but my issues have continued. I have been working with you on these issues for about a year SINCE THEN! Now you say, “It’s been too long.” NO KIDDING! It’s been WAY TOO LONG!

I have a new one that is having the same problems which I will give you below. Obviously you have some sort of quality control issue. Or at least the old Vera hardware does. My hope is that you will have some new Atom Ezlo controller that we can switch to that will leave these problems behind, at least for our new installs. But I need to wait for full functionality of the new software for that to happen. Meanwhile I think you should be helping a good client by replacing some cheap controllers that OBVIOUSLY have quality control issues.

I’m going to start tracking each controller with disconnection dates.I’m going to send you a list every week.

1 Like

Good luck!

C