Customizable Dashboard Pricing

Personally if the new dashboard app is decent, I’d prefer to make a large one time payment.

I don’t like paying for anything monthly usually unless I have no other choice.

However if your new dashboard app was much better than Imperihome for example, then I may consider paying a small monthly fee.

Thanks…

2 Likes

Limited features free and premium features a small monthly fee.

But the WAF factor is the issue.

What I want is my Vera’s data displayed. Dashboard config is nice to have but if Vera only as others mentioned it’s part of the product and could’ve been out years ago but not Melih’s fault.

I prefer analytics over the configurable dash personally.

Imperihome I paid for years ago and they’ve never done any more customization. I’m glad I don’t pay monthly or I would be so disappointed.

I think that’s a worry I would have with ezlo.

When @Melih took over we talked about datamine and built in mechanisms to visualize your data

1 Like

I don’t personally see why you need a fancy layout for automation.
That said…there are always going to be users who want to see something flashy vs the ones who believe that automation is just that and is out of sight.
There already is a plethora of visualistion software already on the market that is not Z-Wave specific but have many integrations such as Z-Wave.
Seems like you want to reinvent the wheel with your own version?
Have a google of KNX or BMS Software, PEAKnx is a good example of the latest available, it might bring you down to reality and it’s not expensive generally with a once off cost. Lastly, if it is going to be Vera specific then you will have produced a lemon. You be better just sending me the money for consultancy work.

2 Likes

What happens when you hit the Panic tile? Enquiring minds etc etc
C

I have a very similar one, running inside a FireHD with FullyKiosk (so cams are shown when a door/entrace is triggered). I won’t post a screenshot, since it’s in Italian.

I too won’t pay a monthly fee. I understand it’s where things are heading, but I think we have too many subscriptions already in place and I prefer to develop a local one, so I’m probably not the right user base, as many here.

2 Likes

A lot of lights come on both indoors and out. Nothing elaborate. But basically the house is left with no dark corners. My wife is usually on the camera views anyway, so she takes the role of intelligence, and I sweep the house. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Usually?! What are you? Liam Neeson?!
Great idea. We’ve had our alarms go off precisely once when we were in. Wasn’t like the movies :smiley:
C

You could see it the way as @Melith discribes it: You have to collect a monthly fee to cover the cost of support and development. OR you could see it this way: You have to continue to develop your product to offer new and improved functionality without charging a monthly fee for it because other platforms do it. Or matte loose the remaining customers you have. A one-time symbolic fee perhaps of a dollar or two. But not more.

I’m sorry but Vera isn’t in the position right now to start charging extra fees from your users looking at how the software works for the moment…

2 Likes

I’m confused as to why this wouldn’t be part of the core product, but I’m often confused so no news there.

C

Just for clarification. its not for the Vera Firmware…its for the Ezlo Platform.

Thank you for your opinion though.

1 Like

It will be the core part of the Ezlo Platform.

So what is the position of current Vera controllers Edge, Plus and Secure within this Ezlo platform?

[/quote]
Just for clarification. its not for the Vera Firmware…its for the Ezlo Platform.

Thank you for your opinion though.
[/quote]

Ah, thanks for clearing out that matter! I thought it would come to Vera too.

We’ll either way; A one time fee could be ok in my opinion but not a monthly one.

A company must generate revenue to pay for its employees and its costs.
So a home automation company will make money by either

Two Business models:

1-Charging you a big amount for the hardware and give software for free
2-Charging you a small amount for the hardware and get subscription for its software.

Either way, it has to pay for its employees etc. Its just how you skin the cat…at the end of the day the amount of money collected over X many years will be the same. Has to be in order to pay salaries and costs!

Lets all together analyze the pros and cons of both models to see which one is better for both the company and you the user.

Model 1:
pro for business:
-seem like a quick cash hit for the company
con for business:
-Need to keep selling hardware to pay salaries for developers so that they can maintain and update the software for all existing customers (who are no longer contributing to the cost model)
-Need to calculate how many years the business has to support a customer so that they can calculate how long they will have to employ developers to service that customer who paid once.
-Business needs to make sure to lock the users in buying other devices from them vs allowing them to buy third party devices (Not aligned with what users want)
-Software is seen as a “cost center” vs “profit” center so apps/software never gets the attention they deserve in this model (Not aligned with what users want)

Pro for users:
-They pay one off
con for users
-high upfront payment (the amount is paid for the hardware also includes all the costs of software development for the next few years)
-locked in to the company because of their business model. Provider has no incentive to allow user to use third party products.

Model 2:
pro for business:
-Long term steady recurring revenue
-Revenue is matched to costs (you service who is paying you)
-Software and integration to work with everything in the marketplace becomes the “driving motivation” for the product (aligned with what the users want)

con for business:
-very slow build up of cash revenue.
-requires sizeable upfront investment until company can fund itself.
-hardware is seen as a commodity

Pro for users:
-The platform is aligned with what the user wants
-Software/Apps that addresses all their needs
-Works with everything (that is the service you are paying for! So provider has to deliver that)
-Provider who gets paid every month to service you.
-Cost of entry to Home Automation is reduced, now users can get into home automation without big upfront investment. (its like buying a home using Mortgage vs paying all upfront)

con for users
-Monthly payments (albeit very small and when calculated over lets say 5 years is still same as or less than buying the hardware one off etc)

Like I mentioned, if you calculate the numbers for both, what the user pays over 5 years is not going to be much different…but these different models create different incentive structures for the provider that either align the provider with what the user wants or mis align it. Model 1 forces providers to create a walled garden ecosystem where users are anchored to a specific product and can’t inter operate easily…we have to break this cycle! We have to give users the freedom to do anything and everything they want in home automation without the user having to get a PhD in programming!

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong @melih but once the new Linux firmware is released to current Vera controllers they will be considered Ezlo platform as well?

There are two platforms I refer to

1-Hardware Platforms
2-FirmWare (FW) Platforms

Currently the whole investment has been building the Ezlo Firmware Platform that works with the brand new hardware platforms we have built (all Ezlo brands) as well as we are making sure it works with the Vera Hardware too (at the moment we are testing with G150 only).

So if you use the Ezlo FW with your Vera hardware, you will be considered to be “living” on the new platform.

1 Like

Well, I do have a very particular set of skills…

8 Likes

What is G150??? I assume Vera Edge? And when is this new firmware available for Vera Plus and Vera Secure? I guess you know there are (still) heaps of users of these controllers with large setups (devices AND plugins).
Do you want to keep these customers on board ??

2 Likes

Yes Vera Edge. (sorry I used an internal naming convention)

Once we do GA (General Availability) for Vera Edge…we will start compiling the FW for Vera Plus and Secure. I don’t have a firm date yet…Just focusing on getting the current Linux FW out for Ezlo Hardware and Vera Edge.

1 Like

I know this post is already at risk of going OT, but let me second the (ever-fading) hope that we Vera users will be offered some mechanism by which our existing setups can be easily migrated in situ over to the Ezlo platform(s). As in, backup + restore easy!

If I hear the words “soon”, “coming” or “roadmap” one more time… LOL :grimacing:

3 Likes