Customizable Dashboard Pricing

They already stated elsewhere that it will not be the case for the beta, so you have to reset, re-pair again for every single device. This will not make the new firmware testable for large setup (as mine and many others), because the effort to migrate almost 100 devices, as in my cases, with tons of code and the corresponding scenes is too huge for a beta.

I know software development is made of priorities, but this decision makes it practically impossible to stress test the system. I hope they’re not testing it with 5-10 devices, as the current generation, and pretend it could be OK with half of the max supported ones. I will probably start to test it with 3-4 spare devices I have laying around.

4 Likes

Not sure what the rest of the community thinks about this, but to me the UI/design is key here.

The Imperihome screenshot above isn’t something I’d want to display on a mounted tablet in my house, for example. Everyone’s specific design preferences are going to be different, but I feel that most of us could agree that many of these dashboards on the market look like a clunky beginner-HTML website from the 90s, or some messed up tile-centric Windows 10 dashboard.

For me to even think about paying for a customizable dash, it would need to be something sleek and minimalist, as well as functional (of course).

Edit: typo

9 Likes

Sadly, I suspect not a chance. There’s a technical challenge I accept. I am less convinced about the issues in fixing / stabilising the current firmware, simply because previous contributors have made great strides in identifying and proposing solutions. However I don’t have access to all the data.
Full disclosure, I am another self-professed tech exec. Actually that’s not true. I didn’t promote myself…

C

1 Like

For me, the time has come to move on. The current firmware on my Vera Plus will not work and since I am looking at new hardware. The Ezlo Hardware in some future time or the Vera Edge to try to get some stability back? For the money I have invested in equipment (devices) Elzo isn’t going to make the cut. I have been waiting and had high hopes after the buy out that things would change & be stable but? Pleg & Reactor is the only reason I did not switch when 7.30 cam out & crashed. So I waited again for we will fix it (7.31) & that don’t seem to fix the problems? So I have been demoing software for the past 30 days and the list to switch is about 20 times larger than the to stay list. To be asking what the charge for a dashboard should or should not be at this time dose’nt make sense to me. When basically I don’t have a product that works for me anymore and waiting on a promise that the new stuff is going to be great?

2 Likes

@Rodger3876

All this talk on this post is about a different platform. Your issues are with the old firmware (there are other posts to discuss issues and reasons to stay or not with the old platform). We don’t want to turn this post into yet another vera firmware discussion pls.

I thank you for taking the time to post though. I sincerely appreciate the participation.

@Rodger3876, it would be instructive (for all of us, I hope) to see your decision matrix. If you’re not comfortable posting it below, perhaps you could PM it to me just to review?

I’ve been told repeatedly that there will be no migration path from Vera controllers to later products, which is equivalent to hearing, “You’re all free agents once your Vera hubs reach EOL.” Can’t think of many people willing to undertake the days-long effort required to connect existing devices with a new platform, hence a lot of hand-wringing going on throughout the community these days.

Thanks, and though I hope you can be persuaded to stick around, nobody will blame you for moving on. Has your issue(s) been addressed by Tech Support and found it intractable??

• Libra

(@Sorin, please merge this and other OT replies appropriately??)

2 Likes

That’s often the case. The challenge faced by the company (IMHO) is that you are breaking the stickiness. If we have to move from Veral MIOS to EZLO, there needs to be a compelling reason to to make us move to EzLO rather than another platform. You may make that decision

C

1 Like

I agree.
However when we acquired the company, we knew that Firmware couldn’t be saved. It simply wasn’t practical.

If we hadn’t acquired the company, it would have most likely folded (like IRIS etc) and users would have no choice but to abandon ship anyway. Instead what we are doing is developing a brand new platform and work on a way perhaps bridge the old FW and New Ezlo platform where both can operate in a group in parallel (this would allow an orderly migration for users). Before we can build the bridge we must finalize the Ezlo FW, then we attempt the bridge, then of course provide capabilities so that users will naturally choose our platform. I didn’t build the old vera Firmware nor did I convince you to buy that old platform @Catman. I am not making money from that old user base…the monies they paid to the old company long gone…I am building the new platform and trying to bridge the old users, not because this old user base is paying me money…no they don’t… but because we genuinely want to help them at our cost!. The old user base even if all 100% bought new hardware from us, would not represent a meaningful revenue for us. So that’s not a reason either.
It would have been cheaper for us to EOL the old vera FW…stop the costs to the company…and continue building new user base as we are doing now.

So please understand our motivation is not that old Vera users will generate revenue for us. We expect nothing and there is nothing projected as revenue from them.

On the other hand, we have made the decision to try to help the old user base at our own cost!

4 Likes

I get it. Sort of.

You need to make decisions because it’s your money, your train set.

I don’t agree with your assessment because my experience tells me what I’ve seen does not match the statement but I appreciate your taking the time. Nor does it meet the standards I would expect from my teams internally. However, I am not privy to all the data so I could well be mis-informed.

I wish you well
C

1 Like

Not misinformed, its just that you are not privy to all the data we had to make that decision.
neither the previous owner/founder/architect nor anyone else wanted to write on top of that code…it was more practical to write it from scratch. If we continued adding on top of that shaky code we would have been spending a lot more money to make same user base unhappy without having a future for the company with a new platform. Instead we took the practical approach of building a brand new firmware.

You as well.

Since I use home assistant with the fully customizable dashboard included I never have ever started imperihone anymore. Nor the Vera app. Everything is integrated in home assistant and much more than only zwave devices in Vera. Its free, runs local, easy to manage, easy to backup, easy to customise and all for free… even the app is free.

However, Vera what I am ready to pay for is GOOD ZWAVE DEVICE SUPPORT in my vera (edge). Cause that was number 1 reason for buying Vera 10 years ago.

3 Likes

I get it @melih
For me, I must move on. At this point, the only reason I come here is to try and keep up with supporting the people & friends I have set up or helped to set up. Two friends systems that rival mine are waiting to see where I go and as far as the other people Vera is stable enough for them because they just have a remote control house, not an automated house. It’s these friends that when they have trouble I am not trying to leave hanging. They do understand that software & hardware & support don’t last forever but we have seemed to lost the natural progression. I think they even would have understood you abandoning the current firmware when you purchased the company, but at this point in time when things stop working, I get asked why should I wait to reinvest in the same company that strong me along as the previous owner did?
and to quote C
I wish you well

Our aim is to give you 100% coverage for Zwave device support in the Ezlo Platform.
We would love to hear from you if there is a product we are missing in integration. If you provide us what product we are missing we will get it added asap!

Here is the list of all integration we have done both at command class level and product level.

1 Like

I don’t believe we did that Rodger. We were very clear from day one that we were writing a brand new firmware. I don’t think its fair to state that.

Wish you well too!

It’s been known on the forums for some time now that there won’t be a direct migration path.

And for some losing the 3rd party plugins if the main ones are not replaced, could be a coffin nail?

However it was previously known on the forums about a possible bridge between the old and new systems that melih just mentioned here.

But looking on the bright side, the Ezlo company have been very open and transparent about their plans and the companies input on these user forums has never been at this level ever. I’ve used Vera for over 10 years.

Personally I won’t be passsing any judgments or proclaiming I am jumping ship until the new Ezlo platform is fully released and I’ve at least given it a decent chance and testing etc.

Either way moving to the new Ezlo platform or to another system completely you are going to have to start from scratch with your setup and config.

If I really like the new Ezlo platform and apps then great, I’ll buy their top end hub hardware and pay for their apps in the app stores.

If not then I won’t and I’ll have to start looking at other systems. But think it’s way to early to be making that decision yet.

My Vera Plus and Edge have been pretty stable for years, some hiccups with some firmware updates yes. I use PLEG for complex logic and automations OK and Imperihome app for our dashboards and overall have been happy with it enough not to jump ship.

10 Likes

I agree well said.

2 Likes

I agree also and that has been my plan all along. But when you have a system that is not working, slow or may just be failing you start weighing you options.

Start a new thread outlining your issues perhaps the community can help. Or try contacting Vera support.

Regards.

1 Like

Vera support has been Great But they can only do so much? The 1st time I did the update and failed. Vera support did get it down graded and back to relatively stable. Then since I was going to be home for awhile I taught lets try this again. So I had support do it. They did get it up and running but over the next few days it became very unstable again. They did get it to down graded again, but its not as stable as it was before the first upgrade. Hardware failure?, I don’t know? At this point the family has seen what it can be & have chosen to not have it at all vs dealing with it as is.

@melih you quoted me wrong, you missed the vera edge part.