DataYours - App Store Release

[quote=“akbooer, post:58, topic:186018”][quote=“korttoma, post:55, topic:186018”]@ServiceXp
Are you sure that that is the correct “id” for the humidity sensors? Since it is the same as the “id” of your temperature sensor.[/quote]

Perhaps it’s some sort of multi-sensor? My fear would be that only the temperature signals changes and the humidity has to be polled?

@ServiceXp, what sort of sensor is it?[/quote]

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner… What I was doing, which Is apparently wrong, was selecting more than one variable to watch under the specific device type.

Can I suggest a “Feature request” ? :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Add method on the DataYours device in Vera for access to the dashboard. (open default browser to the dashboard, maybe separate options for graphs ,devices , etc.)
  2. Add method to delete unwanted watched variables directly from the device options. (where you see day/week… select… )

This is not wrong at all - I have devices with over ten variables being watched.

You didn’t mention what the device is: some have separate child devices with individual measurements, some have multiple measurements under one device (some both.)

"Feature request" ? [...]
  1. Add method on the DataYours device in Vera for access to the dashboard. (open default browser to the dashboard, maybe separate options for graphs ,devices , etc.)

This turns out, for quite complex technical reasons, to be a real pain - I started an entire thread to ask about this ([url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30856.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30856.0.html[/url]) but haven’t got a satisfactory solution. I do have an unsatisfactory solution, but I’m not that desperate.

A second reason to eschew this is that I am totally fed up with Vera’s inadequate UI (be it UI5 or UI7) and the way things change between versions. It’s a complete nightmare, so a design decision has been to abandon any attempt at sophistication on the device panel and do things through separate web pages. I bookmark the [tt]DataYours[/tt] dashboard URL in my browser so I can get to it easily (it’s what bookmarks are for) and only use Vera’s UI for device configuration.

2) Add method to delete unwanted watched variables directly from the device options. (where you see day/week... select.. )
Yes, in fact, a complete suite of database utilities (including wholesale migration of a legacy [tt]dataMine[/tt] database) is on the wish list. For the moment, however, I think it would be quite easy to add a delete button to the [tt]Metrics[/tt] table on the configuration page.

Anyway, I take it you have resolved your humidity problems by selecting another device?

[quote=“akbooer, post:62, topic:186018”]This is not wrong at all - I have devices with over ten variables being watched.

You didn’t mention what the device is: some have separate child devices with individual measurements, some have multiple measurements under one device (some both.)[/quote]

One of the devices was a MySensors Temp and Humidity sensor, and the other was a Everspring ST814 Temperature/Humidity sensor.

So for clarity, this is what I did the first time: Under the “Temperature” device heading, I selected the sensor in question, and while I was in there I selected both the Temp and Humidity variables to watch. The temp vars worked perfectly, and as you know the humidity did not.

So after reading the comments, I realized that maybe I screwed up doing it that way, and this time Under the Humidity device heading, I selected the humidity variables (same as the first try) and now those work perfectly.

This turns out, for quite complex technical reasons, to be a real pain - I started an entire thread to ask about this ([url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30856.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30856.0.html[/url]) but haven't got a satisfactory solution. I [u]do[/u] have an unsatisfactory solution, but I'm not that desperate.

A second reason to eschew this is that I am totally fed up with Vera’s inadequate UI (be it UI5 or UI7) and the way things change between versions. It’s a complete nightmare, so a design decision has been to abandon any attempt at sophistication on the device panel and do things through separate web pages. I bookmark the [tt]DataYours[/tt] dashboard URL in my browser so I can get to it easily (it’s what bookmarks are for) and only use Vera’s UI for device configuration.

Ah Understood.

Yes, in fact, a complete suite of database utilities (including wholesale migration of a legacy [tt]dataMine[/tt] database) is on the wish list. For the moment, however, I think it would be quite easy to add a delete button to the [tt]Metrics[/tt] table on the configuration page.

Anyway, I take it you have resolved your humidity problems by selecting another device?

Sounds good and Yes it’s all tracking now. I’m really loving your work, it’s very nice to finally get some data logging in my setup, and you solution is very nice. Are you accepting donations yet?

So what would it take to get these graphs to work under ImperiHome like datamine apparently does (could never get datamin to work for me)??

Yes, the ST814 is exactly one of those types that I mentioned having readings in both parent and child devices. The safest thing, in this case, is to select the measurements from the corresponding children (temperature / humidity) rather than from the generic parent device.

Are you accepting donations yet?
To a cancer charity of your choice... I suppose I should set up a web page to make it easy and track how much this nets.
So what would it take to get these graphs to work under [b][url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,53.0.html]ImperiHome[/url] [/b]like datamine apparently does (could never get datamin to work for me)??

Ah yes, this has been asked many times before. An [tt]ImperiHome[/tt] issue, not a [tt]DataYours[/tt] one. I was told that ‘they’ would consider it once the app had been released in the App Store. I suppose a few rave reviews there might help convince them that it is worthwhile. I don’t know what technical requirements they have, but from my side I have done all I can to make it possible for a simple URL to give you the plots you want: given any device / serviceId / variable it’s trivial to recover the raw data, or an SVG plot, from [tt]DataYours[/tt] (assuming it’s stored there) using the documented Graphite/Carbon protocol.

Yes, the ST814 is exactly one of those types that I mentioned having readings in both parent and child devices. The safest thing, in this case, is to select the measurements from the corresponding children (temperature / humidity) rather than from the generic parent device.

Are you accepting donations yet?
To a cancer charity of your choice... I suppose I should set up a web page to make it easy and track how much this nets.
So what would it take to get these graphs to work under [b][url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,53.0.html]ImperiHome[/url] [/b]like datamine apparently does (could never get datamin to work for me)??

Ah yes, this has been asked many times before. An [tt]ImperiHome[/tt] issue, not a [tt]DataYours[/tt] one. I was told that ‘they’ would consider it once the app had been released in the App Store. I suppose a few rave reviews there might help convince them that it is worthwhile. I don’t know what technical requirements they have, but from my side I have done all I can to make it possible for a simple URL to give you the plots you want: given any device / serviceId / variable it’s trivial to recover the raw data, or an SVG plot, from [tt]DataYours[/tt] (assuming it’s stored there) using the documented Graphite/Carbon protocol.[/quote]

Yes, Please set something up, I will gladly give for all your hard work. I will make mention to the ImperiHome people of just how great DataYours is. :stuck_out_tongue:

To a cancer charity of your choice… I suppose I should set up a web page to make it easy and track how much this nets.[/quote]

In fact, I have done just that. If you want to make a donation to Cancer Research UK then visit [url=https://www.justgiving.com/DataYours/]https://www.justgiving.com/DataYours/[/url]

(I hope this is not against any code of practice for this forum, or anywhere else. I trust someone will tell me if so.)

Which browser are you using? Have you tried another?

And, how can I delete Graphs?
From page 10 of the User Guide:

"Clear empties the selection list. Saving a graph with nothing in the selection list deletes an existing graph of the same name. "[/quote]
I have tried to delete graph this way. I managed to delete 1 graph. An idea is to pop up Message showing graph was created, deleted or unable-to-delete.

I have installed DataYours on my Edge, and everything is configured and seems to be fine until I go to the DataYours dashboard screen. The Whisper screen and Graph screens are blank (as expected), but nothing is displayed when I choose the Devices button. Under the Configuration screen, my Vera name is displayed, and each of the “Data…” options under the Vera name displays its configuration. The schema and aggregation buttons both display their configurations, and the Metrics button shows just the headers (as I would expect as well). Without my devices showing up, however, I obviously cannot choose data to be collected. Is there some way of short-circuiting this? The documentation seems excellent, but I can’t see where I have missed any steps.

For the record, I did try to initially set up the Whisper directory to be a subdirectory under /nas (didn’t work–couldn’t see the schema or aggregation files and the other configurations didn’t show up). Behavior is the same under Google, Firefox and IE. Any ideas?

This sounds like an old problem that I had thought was solved long ago. Does one or more of your device have ‘unusual’ characters in the device name?? (Parentheses, asterisk, quotation mark…)? This SHOULD be handled correctly, but it’s about the only thing that I can think of which might cause this.

You have done an excellent job with checking all the things that DO work, so I’m hoping we can hunt this down quickly!

[quote=“akbooer, post:69, topic:186018”]This sounds like an old problem that I had thought was solved long ago. Does one or more of your device have ‘unusual’ characters in the device name?? (Parentheses, asterisk, quotation mark…)? This SHOULD be handled correctly, but it’s about the only thing that I can think of which might cause this.

You have done an excellent job with checking all the things that DO work, so I’m hoping we can hunt this down quickly![/quote]
Thank you. I try to be thorough!

My “real” devices are all vanilla (like “PorchLight” and “Master Lights”), but I do have one anomaly with a virtual device [“(*)Rob's iPhone” in iPhone Detector was imported in by that plugin]. I changed the device name to “Robs iPhone” but that change won’t stick, so I need to dig into that app and see why I can’t change it.

–Rob

[quote=“rmhopper, post:70, topic:186018”][quote=“akbooer, post:69, topic:186018”]This sounds like an old problem that I had thought was solved long ago. Does one or more of your device have ‘unusual’ characters in the device name?? (Parentheses, asterisk, quotation mark…)? This SHOULD be handled correctly, but it’s about the only thing that I can think of which might cause this.

You have done an excellent job with checking all the things that DO work, so I’m hoping we can hunt this down quickly![/quote]
Thank you. I try to be thorough!

My “real” devices are all vanilla (like “PorchLight” and “Master Lights”), but I do have one anomaly with a virtual device [“(*)Rob's iPhone” in iPhone Detector was imported in by that plugin]. I changed the device name to “Robs iPhone” but that change won’t stick, so I need to dig into that app and see why I can’t change it.

–Rob[/quote]
Well, it is clear that iPhone was the issue–suddenly I can now see the devices (even though the device name change didn’t stick–perhaps I will lose the device list again down the road…).

On a completely different subject–I know some have reported icon issues with UI7–my icons are missing as well, and it looks like the sym links for the icons are missing from /www/cmh/skins/default/icons/device_states/.

–Rob

[quote=“rmhopper, post:71, topic:186018”]I changed the device name to “Robs iPhone” but that change won’t stick, so I need to dig into that app and see why I can’t change it.

Well, it is clear that iPhone was the issue–suddenly I can now see the devices (even though the device name change didn’t stick–perhaps I will lose the device list again down the road…).[/quote]
Yes, that’s the one that often used to be the problem. I will try and nail it this time.

On a completely different subject--I know some have reported icon issues with UI7--my icons are missing as well, and it looks like the sym links for the icons are missing from /www/cmh/skins/default/icons/device_states/.

Yes, it seems I misunderstood something about configuring the installation for UI7. You can copy all the files from [tt]/www/cmh/skins/default/icons/[/tt] and that should fix it. Don’t move them, just copy them.

Why does the Watts chart not have the date? (only 12AM and 12PM – Pic Below) I’m sure there is a reason that I’ve over looked or didn’t think of but it seems strange…

Also, How do I pick a specific date or data range to populate the charts with. In this case I want to look at a single date in the middle of the existing temperature chart.

Not enough days accumulated.

Also, How do I pick a specific date or data range to populate the charts with. In this case I want to look at a single date in the middle of the existing temperature chart.
There's no preset link to do this. You can plot ANY date range by invoking [tt]DataGraph[/tt] directly with [tt]&from/&until[/tt] parameters, as per the documentation. Several people have already asked for better time navigation, such as date pickers / left-right buttons, etc.

Ok Thanks… Looking forward to the future then… :slight_smile: (if you haven’t already guessed, I’m not too good with the software side of things… :-))

/overlay/www/cmh/skins/default/icons/

TO:
/www/cmh/skins/default/img/devices/device_states

I’m also missing the icons. Please provide instructions on how to do the above coping for a novice.

Thanks for the great work!

The easiest thing is to run the code snippet below in the Apps > Develop apps > Test Luup code (Lua) box:

os.execute "cp /www/cmh/skins/default/icons/Data*.png www/cmh/skins/default/img/devices/device_states/"

Should do the trick.

Worked one first try. Thanks again. BTW - Late wife (49 years) passed away from Breast Cancer. I’m a BIG supported of cancer research. Thanks for asking for donations to the cause.

Is it possible to delete or modify a data point that is already in the Whisper database after it is being watched. My original configuration was done with poor logic and I would like to reconfigure the logging (Storage Schema, Aggregation Method). The only options I can locate are “watch / nowatch”

A tricky question, which can be addressed on a number of levels: I’ll take it at face value first.

Yes, individual points can be changed by careful editing of the database files which are plain text. The data is stored in fixed-width fields of time and value, one pair per line. The fixed width lines are crucial to maintain since the files are accessed directly, not sequentially. In a file with multiple archives the same datapoint may appear in multiple places, but see below for further on this.

My original configuration was done with poor logic and I would like to reconfigure the logging (Storage Schema, Aggregation Method). The only options I can locate are "watch / nowatch"
This is why I say (User Guide, p.14):

“The round-robin nature of the archives and their multi-resolution capability bring some fantastic possibilities. But care is needed to understand what the aggregation function is doing to the data.”

There are some semantic, almost philosophical, questions about the meaning of changing the archive structure but retaining old data. Your simplest bet is certainly to delete the file and start again. Before you do that, you should set the variable to “nowatch” or the system may just create a new file if the value updates. Once a file is deleted and you start watching again then you go through the same process to define the file archives - either using the defaults in the schema and aggregation files, or manually through the menu.