EventWatcher: Is there a way to exclude a device?

Fabulous app! :slight_smile: I’ve been successfully using DataYours2 and EventWatcher for several months w/o issue. Both have been extremely helpful in troubleshooting my home automation as well as an analysis tool.

I have a controller scene (category Y - sl_SceneActivated) that’s triggered every 60 sec’s and don’t need it logged. Is there a way to exclude a device no. from within an enabled category?

Cheers!

Joe

Thanks for the positive feedback! Can you tell us what hardware and firmware version you’re running (I’ve just got an Edge with UI7 and getting a bit of grief from that.)

I have a controller scene (category Y - sl_SceneActivated) that's triggered every 60 sec's and don't need it logged. Is there a way to exclude a device no. from within an enabled category?
Oh, great suggestion! So the current answer is no. Your only option would be to abandon the category Y and explicitly enable all the other individual scenes you're interested in. It sounds like I need a "nowatch" option in the Extras file.

I’m trying to move towards more compatibility between EventWatcher and DataYours in terms of configuration and reporting, but without breaking anything that works for folk at the moment!

Veralite with U15. Sorry it’s not what you are looking for. No plans to upgrade to U17 because of all the reported problems.

Oh, great suggestion! So the current answer is no. Your only option would be to abandon the category Y and explicitly enable all the other individual scenes you're interested in. It sounds like I need a "nowatch" option in the Extras file.

I’m trying to move towards more compatibility between EventWatcher and DataYours in terms of configuration and reporting, but without breaking anything that works for folk at the moment!

All good news! An exclude feature would be helpful. Thanks for ALL your hard work and contributions!

Joe

Actually, I liked this idea so much, I’ve just added the feature.

It works in entirely the same way as the [tt]ExtraVariablesFile[/tt]. So now there is a new device variable [tt]ExcludeVariablesFile[/tt] which you set to point to anywhere that’s reachable from Vera, say [tt]/www/EWexclude.conf[/tt], and in that file you list (one per line) the .. that you want to exclude, thus:

395.urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1.Status

…and, lo and behold, that’s not watched any more.

Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Actually, I liked this idea so much, I’ve just added the feature.

It works in entirely the same way as the [tt]ExtraVariablesFile[/tt]. So now there is a new device variable [tt]ExcludeVariablesFile[/tt] which you set to point to anywhere that’s reachable from Vera, say [tt]/www/EWexclude.conf[/tt], and in that file you list (one per line) the .. that you want to exclude, thus:

395.urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1.Status

…and, lo and behold, that’s not watched any more.

Thanks so much for the suggestion.[/quote]

Wow … now that’s quick turn around. I can’t figure out why it didn’t work for me though. Downloaded the new EventWatcher file to my Veralite, added the line below to the new exclude file and updated the new variable to point to the file.

133.urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SceneController1.sl_SceneActivated

I am using the serviceid and variable reported by EventWatcher. Must be missing a step somewhere.

Thanks,
Joe

No, you have it right. It should be that simple.

[ul][li]does that variable still appear in the list of watched variables?[/li]
[li]you did SAVE after changing the device variable (ie. Just check it again?)[/li][/ul]

I did test it, and it worked for me, but that’s no consolation to you.

[quote=“akbooer, post:6, topic:185669”]No, you have it right. It should be that simple.

[ul][li]does that variable still appear in the list of watched variables?[/li]
[li]you did SAVE after changing the device variable (ie. Just check it again?)[/li][/ul]

I did test it, and it worked for me, but that’s no consolation to you.[/quote]

Good questions …

Yes it still shows in the watched variables. Is it supposed to be there? Here’s what it shows for the variable I am trying to exclude:

133	Arduino SceneCtrl 5:1	SceneController1	sl_SceneActivated	-no room-

Yes, I did hit SAVE in the GUI and reboot too for good measure.

Joe

[quote=“joek, post:5, topic:185669”]I can’t figure out why it didn’t work for me though. Downloaded the new EventWatcher file to my Veralite, added the line below to the new exclude file and updated the new variable to point to the file.

I am using the serviceid and variable reported by EventWatcher. Must be missing a step somewhere.[/quote]

Do you not, in fact, mean

133.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneController1sl_SceneActivated

???

[quote=“akbooer, post:8, topic:185669”][quote=“joek, post:5, topic:185669”]I can’t figure out why it didn’t work for me though. Downloaded the new EventWatcher file to my Veralite, added the line below to the new exclude file and updated the new variable to point to the file.

I am using the serviceid and variable reported by EventWatcher. Must be missing a step somewhere.[/quote]

Do you not, in fact, mean

133.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneController1sl_SceneActivated

???[/quote]

Correct - good catch. My serviceID was incorrectly set for that variable. Unfortunately after the change it’s still not excluding the variable. My entries in my exclude file is as follows:

133.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneController1.sl_SceneActivated 113.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SecuritySensor1.Tripped

The 2nd line does work for the Tripped variable, so confirmation that things are configured okay. Just a thought … is it possible the underscore in the variable name is giving a problem?

Thanks,
Joe

Correct - good catch! (and more Karma)

Try this.

Correct - good catch! (and more Karma)

Try this.[/quote]

Good news! Your latest code fixed the issue. The variable is now excluded. Thanks again for all your work!

Case Closed :smiley:

The exclude function is working perfectly for me also (UI5). Thanks for another grate addition akbooer…

How would I exclude this situation?

EventWatcher: E [101] . PLEG Alarm System, Blue Iris Resend Normal Daytime = ConditionSatisfied

I tried:

101.urn:schemas-rts-services-com:device:ProgramLogicEG:1.ConditionSatisfied
and
101.urn:schemas-rts-services-com:device:ProgramLogicEG:1.Notifications

But neither one worked.

I have EventWatcher and Vera Alerts running on two Vera 2 units. On one of the units I correctly get only the Vera Alerts message in the SysLog, but on the other for some reason I get both the Vera alert AND the EventWatcher items in the SysLog

Sep 13 13:30:00	Vera-30008987	Vera2Alert	1e	daemon	info	Vera2Alert: Vera 2 Event: Blue Iris Resend Normal Daytime
Sep 13 13:30:05	Vera-30008987	EventWatcher	0e	user	info	EventWatcher: E [101] . PLEG Alarm System, Blue Iris Resend Normal Daytime = ConditionSatisfied

The E tag shows that this message comes from an event, rather than a watched variable. The exclude functionality only excludes logging of variable changes.

So it can’t be suppressed? I don’t understand why it shows up on one Vera but not the other. Another “Vera Mystery”

You presumably have it generating event notifications on one machine but not on the other?

Both Veras are essentially the same, both have EventWatcher both have Vera Alerts. EventWatcher has slightly different things its watching for example there are no type D devices on Vera 2.
Vera 1 Categories: XDAPLT
Vera 2 Categories: XSAPHTL
Unless there is some other config trick that I’m unaware of :slight_smile:

Well, I presume that one of your Veras is set up as an Alternate Event Server?

Well, I presume that one of your Veras is set up as an Alternate Event Server?[/quote]

I recall that from an earlier EventWatcher discussion about alternate servers. How can I tell and turn it off it is set?