expression to return geofence "ishome" variable [Feature Request]

[quote=“connormacleod, post:20, topic:200389”][quote=“Catman, post:19, topic:200389”]I have a ticket open for this very issue. Not hearing much back though :frowning:

C[/quote]

It’s kinda good to know I’m not the only one! I was testing a beta piece of reactor code that rigpapa sent me last night, and after he got logic piece working, the geofence on my vera app stopped working, which it hasn’t done before, so I couldn’t test the new code.

Geofence has stopped sending a message on exit or entry. grrr… frustrating. Going to try to kill the app, and drive through the geofence again and see what happens.[/quote]

I just went out and came home, and the geofence worked. As I left my house, it didn’t notify me until I a good mile away, and the notification message had a cut off “No Internet for trig…” message at the end. When I got back, it was more punctual and no error, just the “entry” message with the address. So I drove away again, and got the exit message, again slow on the draw (well outside the 250m circle–there seems to be a substantial delay), and then back home again and got the entry message after about 20 seconds stopped in my car park. So, sluggish perhaps, but now working.

But the better news (for me anyway) is that the newborn Reactor “geofence” condition worked as expected. @connormacleod, have you have any luck?

Hey that’s awesome news!!!

Ya it was this morning as I went to work that my vera app for some reason didn’t acknowledge me exiting the geofence…

I’ve restarted it, and am hoping it works when I get home in about an hour. Stay tuned, will update soon!

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Ha ha!!! Just got home, it worked this time! (Prob cause I restarted the vera app.). The reactor virtual switch flipped to true for me being home within about 30 sec of me pulling up to the gate!

U rock Patrick. Nice work man!!! :blush::blush::blush:

[quote=“connormacleod, post:23, topic:200389”]Ha ha!!! Just got home, it worked this time! (Prob cause I restarted the vera app.). The reactor virtual switch flipped to true for me being home within about 30 sec of me pulling up to the gate!

U rock Patrick. Nice work man!!! :blush::blush::blush:

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Excellent. I’d love to feel more certain about what the app was doing, though…

I have to go out tonight to the kids school… So it’ll get some more rigorous testing for exit and entry… Hopefully I get some consistent behavior. Will repoet back for sure!

yes I agree! I think Vera’s mobile app is the only variable in the equation now, hopefully the reliability of the geofencing improves in future versions.

From Reactor’s side though, I’m saying it’s done & done :slight_smile: After killing the vera app on my phone earlier and restarting it, I triggered the geofence entry & exit each probably 3 or 4 times in the last 5 hours or so. Every time it triggered, the virtual sensors I setup with the new geofence condition you added to reactor worked flawlessly. 8).

Thanks to your hard work on this (and for reactor itself!!) We now have the ability to use geofencing to do more than just flip house modes like the native app. We can now conditionally execute scenes based on if a user, or users are home or not.

I think the use of geofecing in reactor might warrant a sticky? :slight_smile: Although I admit, any user who’s already familiar with the intuitive interface in Reactor virtual sensor conditions logic should have no problem readily making use of this feature. I realize this is still Beta, but so far I haven’t seen any issues.

Thanks @rigpapa!

I’ve already got the Wiki updated (development branch), so when this is relesaed, the docs will follow.

I’m going to roll another pre-release later this morning. The first implementation was a proof of concept–a straight line attack to solve the problem. I’ve cleaned it up, and sped it up.

Sweet! Will you just post the D/L link & instructions under the Version 2 beta thread?

Sweet! Will you just post the D/L link & instructions under the Version 2 beta thread?[/quote]

Yes, as a 2.1 pre-release again (separate thread).

yes I agree! I think Vera’s mobile app is the only variable in the equation now, hopefully the reliability of the geofencing improves in future versions.[/quote]

Good stuff. As a possible confirming data point, I recently switched from using the Vera App’s Geofence to Homekit’s Geophence to improve exit/entry detection reliability and consistency. In my case I use Apple’s Homekit geofence, that works perfectly by the way, to run a “leave” or “return” scene respectively via the homebrige-vera bridge. In the interim, one could just as easily set a Reactor condition/operand using a bridge until such time that Vera’s geofence works reliably enough to obviate the need for external geofence detection. I plan to switch back to Vera’s geofence once it proves reliable.

Thanks to @rigpapa who jumped in to help me figure out what was going on with the House Modes.

I recently gave geofencing a new go, it worked well about a year ago, but became unusable after some FW update…

This time I disabled all vera native functionality and left the control to reactor instead. That seems to be working very well!

One reactor instance per person, 500m wide fence around home address. Any smaller fences seems to get issues because of GPS presicion?

Has anyone tried to have overlapping fences? I was thinking of having a wider fence that sets “Vacation” mode (i.e. lowering thermostats) when we’re more than 1-2 hours away for example…

I have, using iPhone Locator and PLEG. If both phones are more than 100 miles away, it sets House Mode to Vacation. If either is less than 100 miles, it stays in Away Mode. Worked well a couple of weeks ago when we spend the weekend out of town.