Fibaro switches and dimmers

Are these devices the same and just differ through firmware? For example can you turn a switch into a dimmer and vice versa? If so how do you do it?

No they are not the same. A Dimmer is a Dimmer and a switch is a switch / relay.

However for all lighting applications I would use a Fibaro Dimmer 2, even if you don’t need dimming, you can change settings on the Dimmer to make it act as just a switch.

The Dimmer modules support all the various types of lighting loads, LED, Incandescent, Halogen etc.

Thank you.

I have 4 light switches and I can fit two fibaro switches behind it so I need double output modules. Can you get dimmer switches that that have twin outputs?

No unfortunately they don’t do a dual Dimmer module.

You might want to read this thread on the fibaro forum about people having issues with the Fibaro switches and light loads, I believe the in-rush currents can cause welding and the relay contacts stick.

Also if you read the Fibaro switches user manuals apparently they have a warning, so presumably it’s not advised to use LED bulbs with them.

"When connecting the Switch 2 act in accordance with the following rules:

• Do not connect loads greater than those recommended!

• Do not connect types of loads other than resistive and incandescent"

I’d be careful using Fibaro switches with lighting loads and make sure you research it fully.

Which is why I recommended only using Fibaro Dimmer 2 modules with lighting loads, if you want dimming or not.

I installed all my Dimmer 2 modules behind my light switches.

However if you don’t have room it maybe possible to install some of the modules in the ceiling instead. I have never done this and the wiring for it is slightly different.

See the Vesternet article section “Install in Ceiling Rose”

Thank you. All the lights in my home are LEDs. They are dimable according to the manufacturer. Can I use the fibaro dimmer with dimable LEDs?

Are there are switches that are better for LEDs?

Many thanks for your help

The dimming of the lamp is down to the lamp, some lamps dim better than others. The fibaro dimmer 2 is a good dimmer and works with most led lamps. At low wattage there may be issues with led lamps glowing when turned off, this depends on lamp internal electronics. If you get glow you will need to increase wattage or use a dimmer 2 bypass.

Depending how your lights are wired you can also put the dimmer units at the light fittings, if you can not fit them in the switches.

As ElCid said you will likely need a Fibaro Bypass 2 device fitted either in the ceiling rose or across the first down light in the ring.

I had to fit bypass devices in all my ceiling roses or the LED bulbs would flicker and not turn off properly.