GE Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Dimmer

Anyone have these installed?

GE Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Dimmer

Can you use built in motion sensor to trigger scenes/light itself? Does it show seperately in vera?

The part number is 26933. The Jasco link is:

There’s also a 26931 that is an on/off switch.

A few SmartThings users have tried them; the motion detector does not show up as a device on their hub. It’s just a dimmer. If the motion sensor is detected by the Vera and it if really acts as an occupancy sensor like the Lutron switches so, then I could use a couple of these. I may try one. If I do, I’ll report back.

I have the 26931 switch version of this Smart Motion Switch. I added it to my VeraPlus with no problem, and it shows as 3 devices. I used the Generic Z-Wave device when adding it. It shows 1. BinaryLight:1, 2 BinaryLight:1 and 3. GenericIO:1. Item is named with _Appliance Module and Item 3 is _Generic IO.
I changed the Generic IO to a Motion Detector like the GE Smart Motion detectors I already have. I changed the device_type, device_file and device_json. Reloaded the engine, powered VeraPlus off and on, etc. That all seemed to work, as I tried arming the Motion Detector and it said it armed ok, but I cannot make the motion detector trigger any scene or even send a notification but setting that. I don’t see the light flash when the motion detector is tripped like I do on the other GE Motion detectors, they will flash a bright red light when tripped. This has a blue light under the cover and I seen that flash when changing the Motion to either Motion, Vacancy or Manual.
Should I unpair the device and try add it as some other device, but not sure what that would be? I hesitated to be the first with one of these but I really like the idea of having the motion detector right in a light switch so I don’t need any other holes or plates on the wall, and it is powered, so no battery. The switch does work fine, I can turn it off and on with VeraPlus, and if I turn it on/off manually, it changes the VeraPlus display on my computer within a couple seconds. Seems to work fine. I haven’t tried triggering the light switch with a scene yet, but I will. I really need this motion detector to trigger a scene to turn on this light, and all of my other z-wave light switches.
Thanks for any help.
Dale…

waiting to hear if you can get this to work before i install these…

Want to put them on all of my stairs to trigger the lights at night.

I bought a 26933 (dimmer version) and installed it. As an occupancy sensor it works just fine. As a Z-wave dimmer it also works as expected. Using generic pairing, I got a normal looking dimmer, a second dimmer called “_Dimmable Light”, and something called “_Generic IO” with “Off” and “On” buttons. The decoded capabilities string for the “normal looking dimmer” is:

Listens
Routes
Beams
Routing Slave
38:2 COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL 2
39 COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_ALL
43 COMMAND_CLASS_SCENE_ACTIVATION
44 COMMAND_CLASS_SCENE_ACTUATOR_CONF
86 COMMAND_CLASS_CRC_16_ENCAP
89 COMMAND_CLASS_ASSOCIATION_GRP_INFO
90 COMMAND_CLASS_DEVICE_RESET_LOCALLY
94 COMMAND_CLASS_ZWAVEPLUS_INFO
96:4 COMMAND_CLASS_MULTI_CHANNEL_V2 4
112 COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION
113:4 COMMAND_CLASS_ALARM 4
114 COMMAND_CLASS_MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC
115 COMMAND_CLASS_POWERLEVEL
122 COMMAND_CLASS_FIRMWARE_UPDATE_MD
133 COMMAND_CLASS_ASSOCIATION
134 COMMAND_CLASS_VERSION
142 COMMAND_CLASS_MULTI_CHANNEL_ASSOCIATION_V2

For the “_Generic IO” device:

Listens
Routes
Beams
Routing Slave
89 COMMAND_CLASS_ASSOCIATION_GRP_INFO
94 COMMAND_CLASS_ZWAVEPLUS_INFO
113 COMMAND_CLASS_ALARM

For “_Dimmable Light”

Listens
Routes
Beams
Routing Slave
38:1 COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL 1
39 COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_ALL
112 COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION
114 COMMAND_CLASS_MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC
115 COMMAND_CLASS_POWERLEVEL
119 COMMAND_CLASS_NODE_NAMING
134 COMMAND_CLASS_VERSION

Note, there is no “48:1 COMMAND_CLASS_SENSOR_BINARY 1” that you would expect for a PIR. It appears motion sensing is implemented as an alarm. Not really a problem for implementing scenes, but I haven’t figured out how to catch the trigger or even if Vera is noticing it.

“_Generic IO” switches (mentioned above) can be used in a scene like a virtual switch, but that’s all. Its variables only reflect the state of the switches.

I’ll send a note to support to see what they say. It looks they’ll have to do some work to support the alarm.

This switch does support associations unlike other GE/Jasco switches.

1 Like

Well this is disappointing. Support replied:

"Thank you for contacting Vera Smart Home Control!

Please note that for the moment we?re not supporting this kind of device. I don?t know if we have in plan to go in that direction, probably if this will happened, it will be listed on our z-wave device compatibility list:

http://getvera.com/compatibility/

Thank you for understanding and Have a nice day,"

People in this forum have been asking for a Z-wave occupancy sensor for years. Here’s one that works and they’re not interested. The box has the usual GE/Jasco compatibility label on the side that prominently lists Vera.

For folks looking into this the manual is here: https://byjasco.com/sites/default/files/product/manuals/26933%20EnFrSp%20QSG%20v1.3.pdf
The Advance Parameters (which haven’t been posted yet) should be listed here: http://www.ezzwave.com/advanced-operation/

You might be able to do something with the parameters listed for the motion sensor, I assume the dimmer parameters would be the same as other dimmers listed.

It makes sense that this device would support direct association, most motion sensors do.

http://www.ezzwave.com/advanced-operation/
This is a great resource. Thanks for posting it, I hadn’t seen it before.

They have some issues though. I’m looking at their Network Building diagrams
http://www.ezzwave.com/support/diagrams/

The diagrams presently state that a “correct network” has Z-Wave and Zigbee devices routing through each other. But, as you know, that’s not how that works.

Agreed! Batteries are a royal pain and not having to cut drywall to wire a sensor in is a huge bonus… not even mentioning the cost savings :slight_smile:
Who’s gonna get this thing working? :smiley:

Thanks,
Grant

I have 2, surface mounted light fixtures in my garage with a built-in motion sensor. So sensitive that when I open the man door to the garage, the light over my truck comes on. The second light over my wife’s car stays off until I am almost to her side of the garage. Been very happy with them.

This was added to SmartThings by a user who created a device handler file to support all the features including the ability to treat the motion sensor events independently and changing settings based on modes or other triggers.

So Vera should definitely be able to do the same with this device.

I just wish Vera would give users a way to create device profiles. It would greatly expand device support for everyone!

I understand it won’t do this “wirelessly trigger scenes” but does it do this “the lights will automatically turn on when you enter the room and automatically turn off once you?ve left”? And can i turn the light on/off with Vera?

This would be ideal for a closet, or an attic; I can’t think of any scene i would need it to trigger so this would be a good option for me - if it work to control the light.

Yes, looking at the capabilities posted, the light will come on with motion, off with no motion, and you can control the light via z-wave. It also looks like you can use direct association (not verified) so that if you want a other z-wave lights to be turned on and off with the motion sensor that will also work but they will follow the same thing as the built in light.

Hello fellow Vera owners! I was also very excited about the prospect of having a light and motion sensor show up as two separate devices in Vera so I bought the GE Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Dimmer. But it seems from my experience with the unit and from reading your posts, you only get access to the light, not the motion sensor - bummer.

However, I’m having other problems with this light (as well as the GE Z-wave plus fan control). I have a Vera3 - which does not have Z-Wave plus capability. But I read that Z-wave plus is supposed to be backward compatible with normal Z-wave. So I was expecting these units to work just fine with my Vera3. But they fail to configure with a error message of “Failed at: Getting the version”. I’ve tried deleting & re-adding many times by using both low and high power inclusion. Nothing helps.

I’m able to send On/Off commands as well as dim level to the units via the Vera3’s GUI and the light responds OK. But Vera can’t poll the light. So if I turn it on/off manually at the switch Vera3 never knows about it. This is a big deal to me since I usually write some Luup scripts to do things based on a devices’ status.

I wonder if there is some way that I can manually enter the “version” so that these devices can configure?? If I do get them to successfully configure somehow, will Vera3 then be able to poll them???

I know my Vera3 controller is aging and I should probably upgrade, but since I like UI5 and everything else is working fine it’s low on the “ToDo” list…

Thanks for any advice/help you can provide…

BUMP!!
Has there been any recent experience with this switch creating an additional motion sensor device. Or work around.
I have some motion sensors that I disable at night and would love to replace 2 with one. I am curious to whether the motion sensing can be enabled/disabled by scenes.

Are you on UI5 or ui7?

I now have two of these installed. They originally drove me crazy because they create three devices. I thought I had an issue with my Vera Plus The easiest way to use the motion sensor is to simply check to see if the light turns on then it “saw” motion.
You can set the light sensor on or off with parameter 14. So when you go on vacation (google calendar) you turn parameter 14 off and just trigger anything else if the light goes on. A little clunky but it works.

They work great!
:o ???

What code do you run to actively set parameters? A sample/example would greatly help me. I don’t have any coding training, but I believe I can follow and edit.

I too, would like to see these work. Just need them to be disarmed at night would be the best functionality. That is one function that Lutron Occupancy sensors don’t have. The capability of utilizing these switches in a scene would be great, but only if you get the “alarm/trigger.” Any progression, thoughts of getting this to work? I presume that the “Generic I/O” device is the motion sensor portion, but needs to have the correct device_file and device_json attached to it, with some updated parameters to post the triggers/notifications to vera/etc.

Please help if anyone knows a good solution.

After a phone-call to Jasco, I got no response back from their Tech team in support with Vera. I asked about the WINK (as you could potentially use the Wink plugin to use with Vera. That was painful to get it going, so I gave up on WINK as it provided the same 3 devices as Vera did when pairing).

After several hours messing around with these switches, I finally got these switches to work well with Vera. It is a workaround method, but still a good method. I have a message to Vera to see if my methods are ok, but I have tested it, and works like a charm.

If Vera support team approves of my methods, I will share it with the forum. I just don’t want to steer this “interesting/unsupported so called device” into the wrong path.