Help! I really messed up!

Thanks for clarifying that, Sorin!

C

[quote=“blindman75, post:12, topic:200640”]Failed to connect plugged into lap top .

Lap top config:
IP 10.0.50.45
Subnet 255.255.255.0

Attached screenshot of vera config before I applied new setting.[/quote]

That screenshot is definitely not good…subnet mask should not be 10.x.x.x./24 but just 255.255.255.0

seems you have an advanced enough router that lets you do VLANs, so i would assume it can also do DHCP reservation. why not just do that for the vera on the 10.50 VLAN and leave the vera to get it’s address from the router. that way if you ever move it, it will pick up another address from the DHCP server in whatever VLAN you physically move it to. That’s what i do at my house and it works just fine. Just my $.02…

[quote=“sebby”]seems you have an advanced enough router that lets you do VLANs, so i would assume it can also do DHCP reservation. why not just do that for the vera on the 10.50 VLAN and leave the vera to get it’s address from the router. that way if you ever move it, it will pick up another address from the DHCP server in whatever VLAN you physically move it to. That’s what i do at my house and it works just fine. Just my $.02…[/quote] Sounds like a good plan. I’ll give that a try.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

[quote=“Sorin”][quote=“blindman75, post:18, topic:200640”]I appreciate all of your responses. Vera support is awesome! They fixed through a remote session.

So now that it’s working again can someone guide me in the correct setting in VERA to get the box on my VLAN 10.0.50.0?[/quote]

Vera support is glad it could help. 8)

The scenes logic are not dependent on an internet connection so they will run even if the controller is offline.

LE: unless they are based on time of the day(sunrise/sunset).[/quote]That was my problem, as many scenes trigger at sunset.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

[quote=“blindman75, post:12, topic:200640”]Failed to connect plugged into lap top .

Lap top config:
IP 10.0.50.45
Subnet 255.255.255.0

Attached screenshot of vera config before I applied new setting.[/quote]

you seem to be lacking some basic understanding of tcp/ip, that is why you is having problems with vlans… (like attempting to fly a plane when you only have a drivers license for a car and no other experience from planes than as a passenger)

1 - avoid using addess segments that have a 0 in front of the number as this indicates that the numbers should be interpreted as octal. that is only confusing. in your case you say that you were redirected to 10.0.50.16 when attempting to connect to 10.0.50.020 - believe me when I say that you were not. 020 octal IS the same as 16 decimal. you actually connected to 10.0.50.16 (another way to write the address would be 012.0.062.020 012 octal is 10 decimal, 062 octal is 50 decimal, 020 octal is 16 decimal)

2- the network address can be specified in two ways - CIDR notation or network mask. CIDR notation is 10.0.50.16/24, network mask notation is address 10.0.50.16 mask 255.255.255.0. the screenshot suggests that you should use the network mask notation. the network mask and 255.255.255.0 and cidr /24 are for all intents and purposes identical 24 bits network means that the first 24 bits is the same within the network, which is what the 255.255.255.0 mask also means.

3 - to get from one network to another, you need a router that can route the packets between the network. address 10.0.50.16 and address 10.0.51.5 are in different networks if you have a network mask of 255.255.255.0 in both networks. be careful - a mask of 255.255.254.0 in one of the stations, and 255.255.255.0 in the other will most likely result in no connectivity as the station with the mask 255.255.254.0 believes that the other station is in the same network! This has nothing to do with VLANS either.

4 - a VLAN is a virtual lan, the virtual lans are numbered and when a VLAN capable switch transmits data on a port, it can have one VLAN as “untagged” and several VLANs as “tagged” on that port. if the station connected to the port is VLAN aware, it will be able to send and receive data on all the VLANs just as if it had several interfaces, if it is not VLAN aware, it will only send and receive data on the “untagged” vlan. if the station is able to do ip routing, it will also route traffic between the different VLANs.

5 - deploying VLANs will make some things harder, UPNP and DLNA are things that typically has problems. I have a number of units that have 100Mb ethernet only, and the rest have 1Gb ethernet, when I configured jumbo frames on my Gb stations some of my 100Mb stations crashed due to bad buffer handling, and I decided to create a separate VLAN for the 100Mb network. it worked mostly fine, but I discovered that my yamaha receiver suddenly was unable to connect to my nas using dlna. fortunately the nas could be configured to handle multiple VLANS. unfortunately my asus rt-ac87 that I used as an wifi access point only effectively killed upnp It took me a few days to find what process I had to kill in the asus to make it work again.

so - if you need more than 255 addresses, there is no need to use VLANS, all you have to do is make the network mask bigger.
if you use addresses in the “10”-network, that network actually is a class A network with a network mask of 255.0.0.0 ie it consists of the address range 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

if you need 65536 addresses, the easiest way to acheive that is to specify 255.255.0.0 as the address mask

this of course means that your 10-network has to be you private network and not an address/address range assigned to you by your isp.

the above applies to IPV4 only, IPV6 will change all of this…