Homeseer HS-MS100+ Motion Sensor

I’ve just purchased the Homeseer MS-MS100+ motion to use with my Vera-Edge setup.

I can pair the sensor with no problems, but the Vera system doesn’t recognize is as a motion sensor. It just shows up as a generic device that is either on or off.

Anybody have luck in getting or any tips for getting this motion sensor to be recognized properly?

the system has your motion detector set up as a generic I/O device. Under Device–>Advanced, make these changes:

device_type : urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:MotionSensor:1
device_file: D_MotionSensor1.xml
device_json: D_MotionSensor1.json

category_num: 4
subcategory_num: 3

Reload the LUUP engine (Settings–>Z-Wave Settings–> Advanced—> Reload Engine). When the LUUP engine finishes, do a browser refresh. You should now see a motion detector icon and the options in scene creation should be correct.

I’m having an issue with setting this up also. It discovered as a general IO switch - which does turn the light on and off:

urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:GenericIO:1
D_GenericIO1.xml
D_GenericIO1.json

There is also “light sensor” created - it does not seem to do anything. The objects themselves look like this:

Posted by someone else that had added this device to Vera.

I tried changing the IO as indicated my HSD99 - it changed to a motion detector - but I don’t see how to turn the light on with Vera - there are no options for that. Any suggestions?

Bit more info on what I’m trying to do…I want to detect motion - 7X24 - and turn on light at night. I want the motion detection to be working 7X24 because I use motion to trigger a camera to turn on. I modified the “general IO” as HDS99 suggestion - and that works - I can create a scene now to trigger on motion - and I can turn on the light via a luup.cal - so making some progress. But I want to turn off the light after say 10 minutes. What the easiest to set all this up. I’m still a novice on this stuff. Is there anyway to manually create an IO switch object? I could at least use scenes than to set all this up. Any pointers would be much appreciated…

If it’s just basic on/off you can do that with a scene.

Check out rigpapa’s “DelayLight” plug-in (Apps—> Install Apps). It will do what you want. For more complex use cases, rigpapa’s “Reactor” plug-in provides powerful conditionals to create complex triggers. Both plug-ins have their own sub-boards on this forum and rigpapa is incredibly generous with his time and expertise if you have questions.

You can also use Vera scenes, but delays in scenes will not survive a system reload. Rigpapa’s plug-ins do.

I appreciate the responses but may be dumb it down a bit. I can create a scene to look for motion - because I have a “motion” device trigger for that device - but it in step 2 - DEVICE ACTION - that stumping me. There are now no devices (after making the changes that HSD99 suggested ) that I can use to turn on the light. If there were some way to execute some luup code at this step I think that would work. Anyway if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. I’m sure there are all sorts of ways to do this - I’m probably missing the obvious ones…

Romany

[quote=“REKEMP10, post:7, topic:199672”]I appreciate the responses but may be dumb it down a bit. I can create a scene to look for motion - because I have a “motion” device trigger for that device - but it in step 2 - DEVICE ACTION - that stumping me. There are now no devices (after making the changes that HSD99 suggested ) that I can use to turn on the light. If there were some way to execute some luup code at this step I think that would work. Anyway if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. I’m sure there are all sorts of ways to do this - I’m probably missing the obvious ones…

Romany[/quote]

Hello Romany,

First of all, I want to point that the Homseyer HS-MS100 + Motion sensor is not yet integrated with our controllers and, for this reason, it has been detected as a generic device at the inclusion processes.

If you want to set a delayed action in the scene to stop the device after a certain amount of time, this can be done directly from step 2 of the scene. If the device does not appear to be selected, then we have to take a look at the unit to figure out what’s going on.

For further investigation, we have opened a troubleshooting ticket in our system, please check your email address.

Thank you!

So I’ve made progress with this device. I made the changes as described in this thread so that it now shows up as a motion detector. And I created a scene so that motion would turn on an external camera (via LUA codes) and also turn on the light for 2 minutes (if night) - all that works ok. I also created 2 other scenes using a virtual switch so I can turn the light on or off via an luup.calls.

I have a couple of question:

1. When motion is detected - light is turned on for 2 minutes - what happens if motion is detected before the 2 minutes expires? Does it queue up - spin a 2nd process?
  2. The manual timer adjustment on the light does not work - I can turn it from one extreme to the other - it still stays on for only about 15 seconds. This is before I added LUA codes to turn it on for 2 minutes. It may be that the manual timer is ignored when connected to z-wave controller but if anyone knows for sure…

My only complaints so far with this device is that the PIR range does not seem very sensitive - but it sufficient for my current application…

I picked up one of these things today and I find them pretty nicely designed. However, pairing it with the Vera has been nothing but a headache. Not sure who is at fault here, but I’ve spent literally 4 hours trying to figure out this nonsense. I can pair it as a generic device using the secure connection method, modify the advanced settings for the correct display as a motion sensor and even have it react once or twice when testing it (executing a scene), but it then becomes unresponsive. Also now says the device is unresponsive and “waiting for the device to wake up to configure”, “Please wait. Getting secure classes”, or “Please wait, contacting manufacturer” or something along the lines of those 3 messages.

What a shame. They look well designed, feature rich and are inexpensive to boot. Another Vera letdown, it seems. Can’t say that I’m surprised. Guess I’ll be wasting my entire day tomorrow trying to pair The Aeotec Wallmote Quad. >:/
Does anyone else have any experience they can share with me before I rip my hair out over here? Thanks.

Update:
Okay, so for reasons beyond my comprehension, the device began to work today. I also discovered that the instruction manual included with the device does not include the whole story. For those that wish to purchase one of these for use with their Vera, I suggest going directly to the manufacturer’s site and downloading the manual from there. You can then look at the configuration settings (known as “Variables” in the setup PDF) and include those in the setup under “device options” (“add configuration settings”).
This may seem like a no-brainer for many, but it took me a while to figure out and subsequently I lost my cool. Apologies for my outburst. If anyone needs clarification of these methods in the future, let me know.

I just realized (duh) that my questions in this thread does not compute. I was confusing the HS-MS100 (which is only a motion detection device and the subject of this thread) with the HS-FLS-100+ (which is an external motion detection detector + switch. It behavior in Vera is similar though - it also detected as a generic IO device with a lux level detector. Sorry about the confusion…