ISY and openHAB integration questions

Howdy Garrett!

I have Vera and ISY as well and using the ISY/Vera app to integrate them. I’m curious about the work you are doing for the ISY/OH stuff. If you don’t mind, I have a few questions

1. Was there anything particular about going this route (direct ISY->OH) vs keeping the ISY/Vera app on the Vera and letting the Vera be the ‘gateway’ via the MIOS OH binding?

2. Do you think that once you have the OH/ISY talking, you would discontinue the use if the Vera/ISY plugin (i.e. your Vera would no longer see your ISY devices)?

3. I’m not super up on OH details – like many, just starting to learn. How would the approach your taking for ISY compare the the MIOS OH bindings? Are there things that would be lost or difficult to use in OH one way or the other?

I was/am seriously considering writing an ISY/OH binding. I’ve done a metric ton in HA software over the years and very comfortable in Java and it’s various frameworks. That said, other than initial research, I’m still quite far from coding. But I am very interested in your thoughts on connecting the ISY and OH

Thanks and good luck!!

Gerry

Howdy Garrett!

I have Vera and ISY as well and using the ISY/Vera app to integrate them. I’m curious about the work you are doing for the ISY/OH stuff. If you don’t mind, I have a few questions

1. Was there anything particular about going this route (direct ISY->OH) vs keeping the ISY/Vera app on the Vera and letting the Vera be the ‘gateway’ via the MIOS OH binding?

2. Do you think that once you have the OH/ISY talking, you would discontinue the use if the Vera/ISY plugin (i.e. your Vera would no longer see your ISY devices)?

3. I’m not super up on OH details – like many, just starting to learn. How would the approach your taking for ISY compare the the MIOS OH bindings? Are there things that would be lost or difficult to use in OH one way or the other?

I was/am seriously considering writing an ISY/OH binding. I’ve done a metric ton in HA software over the years and very comfortable in Java and it’s various frameworks. That said, other than initial research, I’m still quite far from coding. But I am very interested in your thoughts on connecting the ISY and OH

Thanks and good luck!!

Gerry[/quote]

1. There was no reason to be honest. But I wanted to eventually have Vera perform only the z-wave tasks. So OpenHAB will have a plugin for the Vera and eventually something for the ISY. And remove the plugin dependencies from Vera.

2. Once I have a viable solution for ISY integration into OpenHAB, I will not be using the ISY plugin in Vera. I would like to have all automation done by OpenHAB and have allow it direct access to the ISY with out going through Vera.

3. The approach I am taking will / may have some limitations. Right now as I develop the code for ISY integration I do run into a few issues, but most of the time I have solved those. The only limitation that I can not overcome with my approach is the dependency of several pieces of software to tie it all together. In other words the ISY code will depend on mqtt and the code itself to communicate with OpenHAB and the ISY. It would look like this: OpenHAB <-> mqtt <-> ISY Code <-> ISY controller. Communication between OpenHAB and my ISY code will be done via mqtt. So you have several layers of failure that can cause debugging if something goes wrong difficult. One advantage of the route I am going is that the isy code I am writing can be used with any software that allows mqtt integration. I just have to figure out how I want to structure the api.

• Garrett

Not sure if you have seen this, but someone is working on a direct ISY994i binding for OH. It sounds like it’s just getting off the ground, but in case there is space for combined efforts (or something :wink:

[url=https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/openhab/W25ZqOWWQC8]Redirecting to Google Groups

Gerry

I thought OpenHAB supported Insteon PLMs directly? Why use an ISY at all?

I’m hoping to reduce complexity when moving to OpenHAB… thus, removing the ISY. With the new Insteon API I’m thinking that should be much easier?

ISY is to PLM as Vera is to Z-Wave.

You only need one good high level implementation of any protocol.

Because management of insteon is easier with the ISY than what is capable of the Insteon PLM binding.

• Garrett

Exactly. While I like OpenHAB, it’s still very immature compared to other HA tech out there. It’s maturing fast, but in the area of configuration in particular, it’s no where near where things like the ISY and Vera are.

I run an ISY994i for lighting and Vera for locks, thermostats, sensors, etc. I’m using the ISY/Vera Plugin to bridge the ISY into Vera and then the MiOS binding to get that all into OpenHAB. My intent, once there is an ISY binding for OH, is to remove the Vera/ISY bridge to help keep vera as stable as possible.

The ISY994i unit is solid as a rock. If you are used to Veras occasional lockups or funkiness, ISY shows what Vera should be (reliability wise, at least). It also completely and deeply understands Insteon and that shows in the features and configuration support. For a larger Insteon install, I can’t imagine not having the ISY as a smart front end to Insteon.

If you only have a few Insteon devices, it may not be worth the investment, but for larger setups (I have 78 switches now), it’s worth it’s weight in gold.

As OpenHAB matures and I move more of my automation to it, I can easily imagine replacing the Vera (with a future ZWave dongle with good antenna) or making Vera into basically a “dumb” ZWave interface (I’m 80% of the way with that already). But I cannot imagine any situation I’d remove the ISY (short of switching Insteon out for some presumably much better future protocol).

Gerry

Is there a binding for the ISY to be controlled by openHAB?

I have been searching for such a thing and came across this thread.

Only other thing I have found was: http://www.sytone.com/2015/01/integrating-isy-into-openhab-2/

I submitted a pull to openhab for a full ISY binding. The http approach works as well.