LED Strips

Rex or anyone who might know,

Does the plugin work with the rgbw led stip module that I see around the internet? I have seen that this should work with the WiFi module, but not sure if it would work with the RGBW plugin. If so, am I able to have the 4 zones that can be used with the RGBW bulbs or is this limited to a single zone control? I would like to install led strip lights on the bottom of my cabinets to illuminate the floor for accent lighting and act as a night light.

• Garrett

Photos and details of recent RGBW LED strip remotes and apps look pretty-much identical to MiLight RGB+W ones. The Wifi Bridge looks just like the MiLight V3 unit required by the MiLightRGBW plugin.

Wifi Bridge LED Controller Remote

I would think there is a good chance these would work but, unless someone has already tried it, there’s only one way to find out…

Yes I confirm that all products sold at www.WifiLedLamp.com and www.AppLamp.nl are MiLight products that are compatible with the V3 Wifi Bridge, so next to the 6W and 9W RGBW and Dual White bulbs, also the RGB/RGBW/White Ledstrip controllers, Dual White downlights, RGBW downlight.

Thank you @latcho. That’s good to know.

[quote=“garrettwp, post:1, topic:185698”]Rex or anyone who might know,

Does the plugin work with the rgbw led stip module that I see around the internet? I have seen that this should work with the WiFi module, but not sure if it would work with the RGBW plugin. If so, am I able to have the 4 zones that can be used with the RGBW bulbs or is this limited to a single zone control? I would like to install led strip lights on the bottom of my cabinets to illuminate the floor for accent lighting and act as a night light.

• Garrett[/quote]
    I have now verified that the MiLight RGBW LED strip controller works with the MiLightRGBW plugin using the V3 bridge. All functions work as with the normal RGB+W lamp. You can have four RGBW zones each of which can be a mixture of lamps and strips if required.

I have noticed a tiny difference in the mapping of hue value to colour between the lamp and the strip controller. This is only noticeable if you use pure red, green or blue colours (using the new action or buttons) and look carefully. There is a fix in the latest plugin: Add the option CLT=2 for zones with LED strip controllers and the colours should match the SetColor action and buttons better. I would also use this option for zones with mixed lamps and strips as the small colour error is more visible on the strips. The option has no effect on hue values set through the UI, SetHue action or AutHomation.

Great news, I may be getting the LimitlessLED controller for christmas. I am in the process of making my own RGB LED controller using the Arduino sensor project. If things do not go as planned and I get the LimitlessLED controller, I’ll be purchasing the LED strip controller. Is this the version with the black label?

• Garrett
Is this the version with the black label?
I am using the Mi-Light RGBW LED Strip Controller and the Mi-Light V3 Wifi Bridge. See pictures below.

OK, I’ve seen them with white labels and think they are the older model for rgb.

• Garrett

@RexBeckett : I don’t have rights to answer private messages for some reason.
You are right, hue is 0-255 for the ledstrip controllers (RGB or RGBW).
The packaging tech details should be fixed because HUE != RGB…

[quote=“latcho, post:9, topic:185698”]@RexBeckett : I don’t have rights to answer private messages for some reason.
You are right, hue is 0-255 for the ledstrip controllers (RGB or RGBW).
The packaging tech details should be fixed because HUE != RGB…[/quote]
You may have to reach some number of posts before you can answer PMs, @latcho. Sorry, I did not realise this. Let us keep talking until you are fully qualified. ;D

Thank you for your response. I shall stop worrying that I am not utilizing all the colour capabilities in my plugin. I like the Mi-Light RGBW LED Strip controller - it works very well. I shall probably buy a few more and break my 5 metre strip into several segments for individual control.

Do you understand why the RGB+W lamp and RGBW strip controller have slightly different mapping of hue value to colour? For example, pure red is 165 on the RGBW 6W lamp and 174 on the strip controller. There are also small differences (~3) for blue and green.

.. Do you understand why the RGB+W lamp and RGBW strip controller have slightly different mapping of hue value to colour? For example, pure red is 165 on the RGBW 6W lamp and 174 on the strip controller. There are also small differences (~3) for blue and green.

Hi Rex, never had an issue with the color mapping, but I only use the 9W bulbs. Will for sure check that on the 6W bulb.
Surely, an RGB(W) ledstrip can have a slight differences due to SMD production and different implemented calibration in the resistance of each R/G/B channel to get a pink “chinese white” or a yellowish “white” when you put each R/G/B color channel at full power. But if you select pure RED, it should be that way: pure. So very curious to check this Monday.
By the way, for cutting RGBW strips in pieces: there are no click-on connectors for RGBW on the market. So it will be a tough job at soldering; The RGBW lines are very close together and the copper plates of a strip are sensitive. So put a tiny bit of solder-tin on the wires first, after that heatup fast and short.

Thank you @Latcho. I shall be interested in your tests of pure colour mapping between RGBW 6W, RGBW 9W and RGBW Strip.

Surely, an RGB(W) ledstrip can have a slight differences due to SMD production and different implemented calibration in the resistance of each R/G/B channel to get a pink "chinese white" or a yellowish "white" when you put each R/G/B color channel at full power.
I was not aware that it was possible to get full R+G+B on the RGBW Strip controller. What is the command?

Regardless of the challenges, the plug-in is just brilliant. Happy Christmas to you and enjoy a day of not responding to my amateur nonsense :slight_smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, @eldrix4, and a Happy Christmas to you too. I have just run my Xmas scene for the RGBW LED strip that is temporarily festooned in the living room. It’s the only time I find the disco mode useful. ;D

Happy Xmas & new year Rex…

Thanks for responding to my questions earlier, a couple of follow ups…

Q: Would I be right in saying you need a new dedicated remote for each lighting type (you know the one they sell) ? RGBW, White etc?

Q: Where can I find the RGBW LED strips you are talking about? I could only see bulbs and ceiling lights on the easybulb page, am I missing something?

Happy Christmas, Chris.

Would I be right in saying you need a new dedicated remote for each lighting type (you know the one they sell) ? RGBW, White etc?
Quite right. There are currently three types: White, RGB and RGB+W.
Where can I find the RGBW LED strips you are talking about? I could only see bulbs and ceiling lights on the easybulb page, am I missing something?
There are MiLight controllers for both RGB and RGBW strips. They work with the V3 bridge and behave like the equivalent lamps. I am hoping they will introduce a dual-white controller at some point. I bought mine from [url=http://www.wifiledlamp.com/applamp-add-ons/rgbw-led-strips-controllers/]wifiledlamp[/url] who also sell compatible LED strips, power-supplies, accessories and kits. You can get a discount for being a Vera user. See [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,14051.msg141062.html#msg141062]this post.[/url]

Is there a way to turn on both the white and the color leds of a strip at the same time using mi-light rgbw controller. I am able to do that with the original IR remote that came with the LED strips.

RexBeckett,
Thank you again for such an excellent plug-in.
However, now I need to write code for the first time to have this do what I want

I want my RGBW strip to turn bright white, regardless of the last setting, each time I press the ON button of the light switch

Note: The light switch controls the power supply to the RGBW strips.
The light switch ID is 221 and I am using PLEG to handle the the automation.

Just so I know I am doing this correctly, under the Actions tab of my Switch condition, I pressed the On and I moved the slider to 100% in your plug-in control.
Under the LUUP tab I have this:
luup.call_action(“urn:dcineco-com:serviceId:MiLightRGBW1”, “SetWhiteMode”,221)

I think I missed something in the formatting because it did not work.
Thank you again

Your Luup call looks OK, @jimmyhtz, but I find the lamps will not accept any commands for about two seconds after power-up. I have some scenes that are triggered by the power switch and I delay each action by two seconds. This works reliably.

[quote=“RexBeckett, post:19, topic:185698”]Your Luup call looks OK, @jimmyhtz, but I find the lamps will not accept any commands for about two seconds after power-up. I have some scenes that are triggered by the power switch and I delay each action by two seconds. This works reliably.[/quote]Yeah, I was afraid of that.

Please confirm, I should insert this command on top:
luup.call_action(“urn:dcineco-com:serviceId:MiLightRGBW1”,“SetOptions”,{newOptions=“ICT=200”},221)

Do you think I can sneak in the command when I press the power off switch?
Meaning that it would accept the command before it actually powers down and it will turn on white the next time I turn it on.

Should I also put a delay in between commands if I have more than one?